For those going to Reading

PompeyVillan

16 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm going to this one with 16 autistic teenagers from the school I work at 

They'll be taking penalties at half time on the pitch.

Give them a great reception lads and ladies! If any of them score, give them a cheer. They all have social anxiety and at an earlier part in their lives will never have thought they could do something like this. 

They are all absolute legends in my eyes! I am in the home end though!

Just read this mate.  Top effort. Me and my lad will be cheering them on!!!!!

Edited by Gary Thomas

Thank you to everyone that got involved in the amazing social media response.

It wasn't quite what we thought! The impression we got from Reading is that they'd allow the lads to take penalties in the goals themselves. That would have been amazing.

As it was, they were quite far away from the Villa fans, in little 5 a side goals. They still loved it though and a few of the boys asked if they could take a penalty in the goal in front of the Villa fans but were not permitted to. They learned of the social media response and were warmed by the understanding shown. 

Autism sometimes seems 'hidden' and all of our lads have been punished and stigmatised in mainstream schools because of misunderstanding, some have suffered at home, in care even misplaced in mental health institutions. They often seem 'odd' or misbehaved. So for Marley to start this and the response from everyone is amazing. They're not used to being accepted!

Anyway, they were blown away by the Villa support. "They are mental!" "So loud!".

" What are they singing?"

Me "Erm, I'll tell the 6th formers on the way home".

• Like 4

Â