Fitness

Kiwivillan

13 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

So we can all agree, there's a curse on Aston Villa, it can be the only reason, it must be almost impossible to get into this scenario with the money spent and personnel change.... 

Or we are doing a reverse Leicester by making the impossible possible. 

Quick question. When was the last time you watched Villa comfortably win a game? 

Like others have said, how can our players, across multiple managers and changing of staff, be so unfit? How can that possibly be? Also, as others have mentioned, at times this season we have finished the better team. 

I don't think that the players are physically unfit. I think our club as a whole lacks a mental toughness. I think we need someone in to toughen up the place in a mental way. 

I think it's a toxic combination of a number of things, fitness is probably an issue.

Firstly our midfield is so lightweight, Tish looks to be the only player capable of covering enough ground to get at the opposition with decent blocks and tackles but he has played so few games and is young and not a player to put all our hopes on. Bacuna can 'do a job' but I don't think midfield is his best position, he's just marginally less shite than Jed, Gardener and Westwood.

Throw in the fact we have players like Ayew, McCormack and Grealish who either don't track back or tackle or cover enough ground to do so. As some have pointed out we can't carry three players like this.

We just need to get the right players in the right positions and get the balance right before we can then decide if the player's form/ability/fitness is another issue.

We have too many players who we are clueless as to what their best position is, and we all know that in a successful team, the whole team works hard and for each other which we haven't had since Delph and Cleverly who would cover every inch of the park for 90 mins I guess Gana could also but probably couldn't be arsed because why put in so much hard work with no chance of anyone scoring, i'd love to see some heat maps of our midfield and forwards.

Edited by VillanousOne

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Maybe the last time we won? As comfortable a 3-0 win as you can see. Rotherham were dreadful though! 

Ah yes, I must have thought he meant 'comfortably watched villa win a game'. That really was years ago.

• Like 1

Fitness is a issue there was a stat last year that showed we covered the least amount of KM of any team in PL and we certainly have been our ran in a lot of our games again this season  ,think our last couple of pre seasons especially have been poor and the players obviously don't have the work done and if it isn't done in pre season  will struggle to get fit during the season as we have games every 3 days in champ .

Well if we had access to the running stats vs other teams this would sort that debate out. We certainly seem to be lacking pace. We bought players that spent a lot of time not playing last season because of injuries and/or player that are in or approaching their 30's.

We looked good in the beginning because teams were given us respect, the fear factor. That soon went out the window when it was realised we are shit.

So £50 million spunked out the window.

If I was Tony I would cut my losses now and not put another penny in, gamble failed just like Lerner.  

8 hours ago, dounavilla said:

How on earth did we replace 11 poor and unfit players and manage to end up with 11 poor players who are unfit? 

Someone spoke of a curse, I'm starting to think it just might be.

Doug Ellis or Flabby Agbonlahor spring to mind!

10 hours ago, dounavilla said:

How on earth did we replace 11 poor and unfit players and manage to end up with 11 poor players who are unfit? 

Someone spoke of a curse, I'm starting to think it just might be.

Yes - the curse of hiring shit people. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 1

I think when we have a blueprint of how to approach and play games the fitness issue will reduce.

To be honest playing 3 games a week - how unfit can they be ? - there's always room for improvement, but I think its being overstated here. I think this was more SB announcing his arrival to the squad.

Like any new manager SB will tweak the coaching and training sessions. But I doubt he will radically up the training workload, he's been around to lonf to know that would counter productive and probably lead to increase in injuries.

9 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

So £50 million spunked out the window.

If I was Tony I would cut my losses now and not put another penny in, gamble failed just like Lerner.  

It's such a tragedy that with Sherwood and Di Matteo we've had two absolute chancers control out summer spending. Between them they spent something like £100million. Even if that included player sales it is absolutely **** ridiculous that we now seem to be light in midfield, have no pace and are generally absolutely shit everywhere and can't win a game. 

As much as MON spunking all the money in the first place and sending us into debt, now Sherwood and Di Matteo are also responsible for our current shitness. 

With the correct managers in place, we could have been alright, maybe still in the prem (although we were still under invested for that considering who we lost the summer before this one—a decent manager could have achieved it though). 

I don't know who I think was worse out of Sherwood or Di Matteo. No I do actually—Di Matteo has been the worst manager, imo, that I've known as a supporter. The state of the squad now is such a joke. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

All of the last few managers have moaned about fitness levels. Here's what I think has happened. 

Each manager has doubled the fitness sessions to get the players fitter so we are now on 8 x as intense sessions they should be doing and as a result they are all knackered. 

Brucie is about to double them again so players will now start dropping down dead like soldiers yomping over Dartmoor in the height of summer. 

So have we established that Massimiliano Marchesi is in fact just another chancer? Has he been sacked yet? 

Not sure from what I have read up about him if he is more of a self publicist than a know tried and tested fitness coach. Seems to have spent a lot of time in the Middle East and some time at Inter. 

However most if the comments you read about him seem to be from him. 

We've all met people who talk the talk but have absolutely no substance. 

It's hard to imagine a new manager coming in and being shocked by fitness levels and the fitness coach not getting the heave ho! 

You dont get a lot of time to work on fitness in this league so the only way you'll get fit and keep it is to train at a high intensity. This I think has been the issue. We do not play at a tempo and that must be because we don't train like it. Hopefully both of these will be sorted and we won't be talking about fitness in a few weeks. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

So have we established that Massimiliano Marchesi is in fact just another chancer? Has he been sacked yet? 

Not sure from what I have read up about him if he is more of a self publicist than a know tried and tested fitness coach. Seems to have spent a lot of time in the Middle East and some time at Inter. 

However most if the comments you read about him seem to be from him. 

We've all met people who talk the talk but have absolutely no substance. 

It's hard to imagine a new manager coming in and being shocked by fitness levels and the fitness coach not getting the heave ho! 

Didn't he have another good CV? Time to stop blaming the fitness coaches and look at the players and the training intensity. Fitness coaches I imagine don't run much. Players are only in for a couple of hours, I presume most of it is on the training pitch with RDM?

Don't know much about this really, but did notice Tuesday the coaches had them doing more - what looked to me - like focused drills, jumping, turning and chasing loose balls - that sort of thing.  Probably doesn't mean much but the impression I got was there was all sorts of things happening with different players and it had more intensity even in the warm up.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Â