Mistakenly priced items

mjmooney

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The unexpected bargains are often the best. A few years ago on my hated annual clothes shopping trip,  I saw a rather nice jacket, originally £150, reduced to £75. I was tempted, but resisted. Went back the next day, it was further reduced to £25. I grabbed it and took it to the till. The girl scanned the tag and said "It's coming up as £5". So that's what I paid. 

That's cheap. What was wrong with it? 

Lack of pockets

tumblr_mft4ehSnID1qcj1hao1_r1_250.gif

or a faulty zip...

Zip-2.gif

• Like 1

I've had a few mispriced bargains over the years.

Last year through a quirk of how the vouchering system on the Tesco direct website was working I managed to get 2 slumberland double divan beds with drawers for less than half the price of what 1 should have cost. Sold one, kept the other and had a few quid profit in my pocket :D

Edited by Genie

On 15/10/2016 at 21:07, Seat68 said:

When I worked at virgin we would just remove things from sale. That said once got beach boys good vibrations boxset for 2.99. 

That was about forty quid when it came out back in '93!

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

That was about forty quid when it came out back in '93!

Yeah I posted that from a phone, I can elaborate now. It wasn't actually Virgin I got it from. I used to do stocktaking for Woolworths in the mid nineties and always used to offer to do their "record bar". I noted that boxset was labelled up at 2.99, 2 freaking 99. I had to buy it, thinking they will say thats an error and remove it from sale, they didnt and a quality release that it was sits on my CD shelf, outsized and not able to file properly.

On 15/10/2016 at 15:39, LakotaDakota said:

Contrary to popular belief There is no obligation to honour pricing errors whether instore or online but the contract online doesn't properly start until the goods are shipped so they will just cancel it.

Same as instore the retailler can just refuse to sell it at the wrong price, withdraw it from sale and correct the pricing error. People will shout and scream about knowing their rights & trading standards but they are wrong.

Hiya

Thats not strictly true.

There are two elements to the law. The civil and the criminal.

In civil law, price is part of the contract for the goods, and, as a couple have pointed out, when goods are shown for sale, either online or in a store, this is NOT (usually) an offer for sale, it is an 'invitation to treat'.  YOU make the offer when you take the goods to the till.  The trader can then either accept or reject it.

(I say usually because in certain areas of law, e.g. product safety, the legislation creates definitions peculiar to those matters governed by the legislation - so 'supply, offer to supply, possess for supply etc, all make appearances.).

However, although the trader is within his rights to 'reject' your offer under civil law, the criminal law still applies, and it is a criminal offence to give a misleading price indication (there is more to it than that but we will be here all day !!)..and there are other offences around the same issues, one of which is to charge a price higher than that at which the item was advertised. 

In practice the trader will have defences to these offences if the matter is committed as a result of a mistake (and some other reasons) as long as he can show he has a system of precautions in place(many, though by no means all, do) which are checked to ensure they work correctly (very very few pass this bit of the test !).

So, in a nutshell, they dont have to sell but could get nicked...........depending upon all the circumstances this often means they will let items go in order to avoid the potential criminal consequences.

Hope this helps guys.

5 hours ago, veloman said:

I noticed that Amazon were doing 'The Best of Kanye West' - 50 track cd for .42p. I thought that was overpriced !

Sounds like a case for Trading Standards to me.  The "best" of Kanye West?

• Like 1

On 16/10/2016 at 09:55, chrisp65 said:

First one, almost always have larger bottles and kegs at a higher price than smaller versions, i.e. 330ml bottle of something £1.00 each, litre bottle of the same 'just £3.50'. People would almost always go for the litre bottle.

That's taking advantage of the numerically challenged.  There is also the contrast effect.  Where if you are struggling to sell a product, you introduce a much more expensive similar product beside it.  You won't sell much of the dearer one but the other one now looks like a bargain.  It's a known tactic.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, peterms said:

Sounds like a case for Trading Standards to me.  The "best" of Kanye West?

Indeed ! This should be used with A level English students as a classic example of Oxymoron !

Â