Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Well we have moaned about good performance bad result.....that ended up shocking performance great result....how we stayed in that game, I don't know.

One redeeming thing for me was Steve Bruce saying he knows whats wrong....never heard the previous ones saying that.

This isn't his team yet, assuming he does know whats wrong lets hope he is able to put it right fairly quickly.

Only 'great' in context of how poor we are though TRO !  Wolves were really a poor side - how many misplaced passes, missed chances - as evidenced by their recent results.  Were we even remotely performing like a Club that has pretensions to be promoted they should have been walloped. And were they any good they should have won about 10-1.

But in context (the context of a relegation fight) its a good point !

And whilst I agree his comments were mildly reassuring, I guess he already knew that.  What worries me is that you are right when you say "the previous ones " didn't appear to recognise that - I cant help but think that seeing as a child could see it, they could too.  Its whether they were able to DO anything about it that was likely the issue.

Edited by terrytini

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He played a 4-4-2 with them as the wide men in our midfield - they're both naturally very attacking (and Grealish is more of a central player by nature) - but I think they're capable of playing on the sides of a four - not our four perhaps, but I think they could succeed with a better two in between them.

To me Grealish is an inside forward/number 10. Adomah is a winger. I agree with your point about a better two between them to some extent, but I would still prefer to use another midfielder, limited though they are, and one of the two of Grealish or Adomah.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Well we have moaned about good performance bad result.....that ended up shocking performance great result....how we stayed in that game, I don't know.

One redeeming thing for me was Steve Bruce saying he knows whats wrong....never heard the previous ones saying that.

This isn't his team yet, assuming he does know whats wrong lets hope he is able to put it right fairly quickly.

I must admit, that comment struck me with a slight bit of confidence right there!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, terrytini said:

Only 'great' in context of how poor we are though TRO !  Wolves were really a poor side - how many misplaced passes, missed chances - as evidenced by their recent results.  Were we even remotely performing like a Club that has pretensions to be promoted they should have been walloped. And were they any good they should have won about 10-1.

But in context (the context of a relegation fight) its a good point !

And whilst I agree his comments were mildly reassuring, I guess he already knew that.  What worries me is that you are right when you say "the previous ones " didn't appear to recognise that - I cant help but think that seeing as a child could see it, they could too.  Its whether they were able to DO anything about it that was likely the issue.

We are currently in a relegation battle Terry, thats what I meant.

Unless they( the previous) say and they didn't, how do we know, they knew.

RDM just went off and spent 50 mill and looked like a rabbit caught in the head lights, when he assembled them all.

Hey! this demise might be much bigger and deeper rooted than we think....I am really beginning to think that way.

Its like we thought we were riddled with weeds... only to find its Japanese Knotwood.

We are quite lucky that this result and performance could still yet have some resonance in our season this term. As outbattled and outfought as we were in that second half, as abject as it all feels just now, that could be THE POINT that keeps us in this division come the end of May, or could be THE POINT that means we squeeze over the line into a play off place. As far away as Norwich, Newcastle and Huddersfield seem right now, and the Premier League light at the end of our current tunnel seems to be receding quickly, if the new manager is able to turn this around, this could well be a fantastically lucky point earned.

Struggling to see anything meaningful changing with our performances until January when we've had another browse around the shops. Unless the manager can find a way of getting this squad into playing team that is effective and fit. Whichever way he cuts the cloth, two in midfield is just not going to work - we are so far not good enough to play that way. To move us forward from here, he might have to upset a few people (whether that be us fans, or squad players) and try a few things out. We're currently far too easy to play against - see Preston away, and now Wolves at home.

I thought Richards was picked in the interests of giving the 'previous' a fresh chance. To be fair to him, he wasn't the worst on the pitch. I have no axe to grind with him.

Message to the racist Wolves fans who were chanting 'Town full of P_kis' as they were coming down the station exit at Witton - right in front of the Police who did nothing. You are lower than the lowest of the low. Proper, lower class Britain idiots. And then your mates calling out 'Villa... Villa... Villa' in a pre-pubescent squeal... trying to bait me, all ten of you trying to bait me on my own. Inside, I was laughing at you... LAUGHING at you... while at the same time pitying you. 

Were you all on day release or something? You small minded, imbecilic cock-bandages.

And I won't even mention the throwing of the flare from your 'zone' into the Lower North. It's football, not down town Allepo. Shame on you... rampant, idiotic shame on you.

#Wolvesidiots

#WWFC

Edited by Raver50032

1 hour ago, Raver50032 said:

We are quite lucky that this result and performance could still yet have some resonance in our season this term. As outbattled and outfought as we were in that second half, as abject as it all feels just now, that could be THE POINT that keeps us in this division come the end of May, or could be THE POINT that means we squeeze over the line into a play off place. As far away as Norwich, Newcastle and Huddersfield seem right now, and the Premier League light at the end of our current tunnel seems to be receding quickly, if the new manager is able to turn this around, this could well be a fantastically lucky point earned.

Struggling to see anything meaningful changing with our performances until January when we've had another browse around the shops. Unless the manager can find a way of getting this squad into playing team that is effective and fit. Whichever way he cuts the cloth, two in midfield is just not going to work - we are so far not good enough to play that way. To move us forward from here, he might have to upset a few people (whether that be us fans, or squad players) and try a few things out. We're currently far too easy to play against - see Preston away, and now Wolves at home.

I thought Richards was picked in the interests of giving the 'previous' a fresh chance. To be fair to him, he wasn't the worst on the pitch. I have no axe to grind with him.

Message to the racist Wolves fans who were chanting 'Town full of P_kis' as they were coming down the station exit at Witton - right in front of the Police who did nothing. You are lower than the lowest of the low. Proper, lower class Britain idiots. And then your mates calling out 'Villa... Villa... Villa' in a pre-pubescent squeal... trying to bait me, all ten of you trying to bait me on my own. Inside, I was laughing at you... LAUGHING at you... while at the same time pitying you. 

Were you all on day release or something? You small minded, imbecilic cock-bandages.

And I won't even mention the throwing of the flare from your 'zone' into the Lower North. It's football, not down town Allepo. Shame on you... rampant, idiotic shame on you.

#Wolvesidiots

#WWFC

I think that is a very valid point and I don't think any previous managers have had the balls to do it.....but it needs doing.

We need to be set up " hard to play against" but fear we need new personnel too.

I'm not sure what people are expecting Bruce to do, we have already shown our  hand this season, we don't have any secret weapons hiding in that squad, unless he buys a new pack again in Jan its pretty clear what we already have to work with.

The championship is not the premier league that's for sure, all we need right now is someone to keep them motivated and playing for the shirt and the fans. There's definitely talent in each individual so if the basics are being done correctly then the results and performances should take care of themselves.

Good luck Bruce.

I really don't think we have the midfield to get us out of the division. We badly miss a Delph/Cleverly, and dare I say it, Gueye. The irony is we are still employing Sanchez and Veretout and they would bolster our squad hugely at this point. Roll on January.

We also don't know how to usefully play Grealish, McCormac, Ayew and Kodjia. 

It occurs to me so many of our team are being picked on potential and not performance (but probably out of necessity): for me Gestede should be first choice forward, with McCormac alongside him. McCormac, as stated on here, must wonder WTF is going on, he is possibly the most accomplished player we have but we are not helping by playing him with different players around him each game.

For me we should have Amavi and Adomah running and stretching sides with width, crossing into the box with Gestede and McCormac picking up the supply. This compact game, slowing play down just doesn't seem to be working. Not sure where Ayew and Kodjia fits in all this, maybe Ayew behind the front two and Kodjia as an impact sub?

Gollini

Bacuna - Chester - Baker - Amavi

Adomah - Westwood - Tshibola

Ayew

Gestede - McCormac

Loved Tshibola's energy, he will improve into a very good player.

@Michael118 I had you down as a Bruce advocate. Apologies.

Edited by thunderball

17 hours ago, TRO said:

We are currently in a relegation battle Terry, thats what I meant.

Unless they( the previous) say and they didn't, how do we know, they knew.

RDM just went off and spent 50 mill and looked like a rabbit caught in the head lights, when he assembled them all.

Hey! this demise might be much bigger and deeper rooted than we think....I am really beginning to think that way.

Its like we thought we were riddled with weeds... only to find its Japanese Knotwood.

Do we know how much RDM had to do with these signings? Kodija & McCormack was simply daft unless Ayew left. Daft in that football manager way, which has me awfully suspicious on the motivations behind those signings.

Edited by villakram
edit: all the silly whitespace

On 15/10/2016 at 19:32, bradarmstrong_ said:

Simply have to play Gestede. We don't have anyone who can actually pass a ball so if we're going to hoof it let's at least play a target man 

Problem is we haven't got anyone who can Hoof it to a target man either. 

Or anyone who can effectively play off a target man. 

Or a target man who can hold up the ball. 

In short,  we have nothing. 

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Do we know how much RDM had to do with these signings? Kodija & McCormack was simply daft unless Ayew left. Daft in that football manager way, which has me awfully suspicious on the motivations behind those signings.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

I don't.....I'm assuming by his absence of protest, he did.

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't.....I'm assuming by his absence of protest, he did.

I'd really like to know, because I personally see this more as those upstairs deciding to impress the fans etc., and what manager would ever say no to a high quality signing. I don't really read too much into the lack of protest as RDM is much more ingrained in the european technical director model where players are given to the coach.

Pity, as I imagine that RDM/Clarke had to sign NDAs on the way out or the fear of being blacklisted will ensure things keep quiet. I'd love to hear an unvarnished view of what's going on internally, as given the mess on the pitch (e.g., fitness still being an issue), I suspect much of the chaos from the past few years still lingers. 

Edited by villakram
edit: all the silly whitespace

Â