The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

I'd have more faith in it if we had a midfield and if half of our strikers were not going to miss a large part of Jan-Feb due to the African cup of nations.

Edited by sne

If Bruce makes us hard to break down, then it is a question of whether his style can get us enough wins. I like to think that solid back seven plus McCormack, Ayew and Kodjia gives us a good shout of getting in the playoffs still.

• Like 1

I believe we can make it back to the premier league at the first time of asking providing we beef up that midfield come January (obviously after Alex has arrived first mind to shore up the defence).

The pieces of the puzzle are there.. they just need sorted now and put in correct positions.. hopefully we might witness things clicking into place. 

I think it will be hard until we bring in a proper midfield destroyer and another who can create and score goals. Two that can slot into a midfield 3 with Tishbola. 

If we can be within 5-7 points in January. I think we can do it depending on who we bring in. 

We are not that far off.. we should have 9 points at least from games we have lost. We still have to play every team at least once.. so beating these teams above us will close gaps. 

Seems difficult but it can be done. We just need to get a roll on now. 2 Derby wins to set the tone. Come on Villa!

• Like 1

We'll still have Rudy in January and with Grealish and McCormack still around I think we can cope without Ayew and Kodjia for a few games.

A positive start with a few wins in the next few weeks and that gap to 6th place will not look too big at all.

• Like 3

The new manager offers the hope of a fresh start and a clean slate. The sacking of Di Matteo gives the players an out for the start we have had as he has carried the can.

If we can get off to a good start under Bruce then we can get some momentum and I see no reason why we can’t close the 10 point gap to the play offs. I said in the Steve Bruce thread that we can’t see it that we need to get to 70+ points we have to set smaller targets. Gain 3 points on the top 6 over the next 10 games leaving a 7 point gap, transfer window round the corner and 7 points to make up in 25 games. Then look to close that gap by a further 3 points over the next 10 games. If we can do that then with 15 games to go we would be 4 points outside the play offs and in contention.

The start we make under Bruce is the crucial thing here. Get off to a good one, get players believing and us the fans, and the whole thing will lift off.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

We are going to lose a couple of our better players for several weeks in January due to the ACON tournament. If adequate replacements are not found very early then this period could seriously scupper any progress.