January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yeah I read that but then, have we not already smashed that to smithereens anyway? I also read conflicting reports about it not applying under certain circumstances. 

Either way, I'm sure we do have, we just might not want to spend it? 

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Pat says a lot of things only about half of them are close to accurate.

I have to be honest, I don't know much about our finances and generally the financial side of football leaves me a bit cold. I assumed this point was true just because it 'rings true' - we spent a lot in the summer with much lower income and I know our finances are a bit of a disaster, but maybe we have more room for FFP than I thought, or we're just going to bust through it and deal with the consequences later. 

The reality is I don't think we need very much anyway. We have a full squad, including some junk we could usefully be offloading. The only two positions we seem likely to be able to buy real improvements are right back and central midfield. I don't think we're going to spend a lot on right-backs when we have four in the senior squad, one of whom was purchased only in the summer. That just leaves central midfield, but we probably need less there than I thought previously as well, especially now Jedinak has started to look good. One central midfielder and one right-back on loan and I'd be more than happy with that. 

On 18 November 2016 at 00:27, Grasshopper said:

this ^^^^^^

Robbie knows us

fans love him

not fit enough for 2 games a week so maybe 1 game 1 bench apperance a week would suit us & him

Still need a CM though

I'd take Robbie- I'm assuming it would be a similar scenario to last time? Boy I was devastated all those years ago when we lost out on him to Cov- all for 500k.

without question one of the very best players of the past decade. Pure quality on the ball and sharp as a tack. 

I think Graham Taylor discovered him? 

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Pat says a lot of things only about half of them are close to accurate.

I take pretty much everything  in the media with a pinch of salt, but isn't that a view you also share? 

After backing RDM so heavily in the summer i think it would be pretty strange to not back Bruce if our impressive form continues (subject to all the ffp guff which I'm not really read up on)

On 18/11/2016 at 09:45, Midfielder said:

I remember way back, when we were linked with Lamps when he was at West Ham and I really wanted us to sign him then... Even though he is 60 years old now, I'd agree with you SNE. 

I just googled and found an article of the time! Wow, i feel so old :o.

Football: Villa won't give up on Lampard

by NEIL MOXEY, Daily Mail

Aston Villa are poised to match Chelsea's £11million bid for Frank Lampard, West Ham's England midfielder.

Manager John Gregory was in talks with chairman Doug Ellis yesterday over increasing their offer for the disillusioned 22-year-old.

Gregory made his £7.5m pitch a fortnight ago but has since seen the stakes upped.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-53071/Football-Villa-wont-Lampard.html

As I recall our then chairman matched Chelsea's offer only after it had been accepted by West Ham and the deal had been done thus being 110% sure that he would not face the prospect of having to find the money to sign him. By not increasing the earlier offer sooner he allowed another London club to come in for him knowing I suspect that we would stand little to no chance of seeing Frank leave London for Birmingham once another London club had come in for him. But that is water under the bridge now... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't see it. He'd cost more than £10m when we don't have it, and they've hardly got any players anyway. 

Way I could see it happening is if we offer them McCormack or Gestede....

Bruce obviously worked with him so given he's here now we'll probably look into signing him again.

How long does he have left on his contract?

18 minutes ago, av1 said:

I was never really excited by the Lampard link at the time. Shows what I know eh?

Our former chairman liked this sort of link to get fans thinking that we might be on the verge of signing a player of that sort of quality for an amount of money that was way beyond a figure that he was prepared to sanction. I think that most of us were never really excited by this link back then because we did not anticipate that it would ever come to anything. I think time has shown that you were quite right not to be really excited by this link. ;)     

The more I think about it, the keener I am on the idea of someone like Henri Lansbury. I know I'm falling into the 'availability bias' here and overvaluing his performance against us because I saw all of it, but that day he did what we need. A central midfielder who can get his foot on the ball and run with it through the centre of the pitch, who is physical and powerful but not just defensive. If they can occasionally chip in with a goal or two so much the better, because Jedinak and Westwood aren't going to score many. It doesn't have to be him specifically, but someone who has that performance in their locker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

After backing RDM so heavily in the summer i think it would be pretty strange to not back Bruce if our impressive form continues (subject to all the ffp guff which I'm not really read up on)

Not sure but I think I read somewhere that one of the main reasons why Bruce left Hull was a lack of financial backing? I cannot see Bruce coming to Villa without it although I do not expect anywhere near the summer expenditure in January as the squad doesn't need it.

A RB and striker (Rhodes to cover for the African Nations) on loan plus midfield strengthened should be all that is needed to push the Villa into the playoffs.

19 hours ago, sne said:

Possibly in regards to complying with FFP?

What money we have should IMO be put towards midfield

I honestly believe that the right Midfielder will light the touch paper for our forwards

A busy dominant type who carries the game to the opposition......a driving force in the middle, who could relieve the forwards of a bit of defensive work.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

What we need is a CM who can see a forward pass (a la Sid) and one who can drive through the center of the field (a la Mortimer) That would scare the shit out of every opposing defence and get them scarpering back running scared allowing Kodjia Ayew & Adomah to cause some serious chaos.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

What we need is a CM who can see a forward pass (a la Sid) and one who can drive through the center of the field (a la Mortimer) That would scare the shit out of every opposing defence and get them scarpering back running scared allowing Kodjia Ayew & Adomah to cause some serious chaos.

I think CM will be the place we look at filling first. THeres that Kayla from Brighton and Hourihane from Barnsley I think both are out of contract next summer so both should be cheapish and we can always upgrade if we go up. We are pretty solid every where else. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I think CM will be the place we look at filling first. THeres that Kayla from Brighton and Hourihane from Barnsley I think both are out of contract next summer so both should be cheapish and we can always upgrade if we go up. We are pretty solid every where else. 

except at RB

dont want to see Hutton or Richards there

& CD

After Elphick we have no cover

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

except at RB

dont want to see Hutton or Richards there

& CD

After Elphick we have no cover

I agree but in this league we look solid so I wouldn't buy in those areas I'd loan but we still need to find more creativity. If we got that in CM it'd be a massive improvement. I can see us doing a bit in Jan to allow Bruce to put his mark on the squad. 

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

I agree but in this league we look solid so I wouldn't buy in those areas I'd loan but we still need to find more creativity. If we got that in CM it'd be a massive improvement. I can see us doing a bit in Jan to allow Bruce to put his mark on the squad. 

Buy if we can

loan if we cant

if we spend and it gets us promoted, we will have no problem selling players not good enough for PL, because Ch teams will want "Ch players who have experience in gaining promotion"

If we dont and end up being fined F+** it

What do you do after a speeding ticket?

Give up driving?

No, you pay the fine till you get caught again.

Enough of this PC shit. Nicey, nicey clubs do f'all.