January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

On 14/11/2016 at 15:24, Bomvilla7 said:

True, but I think it would have been very naive of them to expect that he would have made his debut for any length of time during a crucial WC qualifier when there was experience on the bench. They must have had a more valid reason for traveling to Vienna. He will be playing in the Europa league in Dublin on Thurs night if they really wanted to see him in action.

Perhaps if we buy him he isn't expected to go straight into the first team. So the scouting report will be how well he sat on the bench, what were his warm ups like, etc.

On 14/11/2016 at 15:17, sne said:

Short term contract for Frank Lampard? January to end of season.

Leaving NYCFC, 38 y.o and a bit injury prone but still managed 15 goals in 31 games in the MLS.

Has nobody suggested the younger (at only 36) Stevie G? ;) Or we could go for both? Nice idea but neither are really likely to happen at this stage of their playing days and in our current situation. I'm hoping we can clinch a minimum of a few loan deals at the start of the window instead.    

On 11/14/2016 at 15:17, sne said:

Short term contract for Frank Lampard? January to end of season.

Leaving NYCFC, 38 y.o and a bit injury prone but still managed 15 goals in 31 games in the MLS.

I remember way back, when we were linked with Lamps when he was at West Ham and I really wanted us to sign him then... Even though he is 60 years old now, I'd agree with you SNE. 

I just googled and found an article of the time! Wow, i feel so old :o.

Football: Villa won't give up on Lampard

by NEIL MOXEY, Daily Mail

Aston Villa are poised to match Chelsea's £11million bid for Frank Lampard, West Ham's England midfielder.

Manager John Gregory was in talks with chairman Doug Ellis yesterday over increasing their offer for the disillusioned 22-year-old.

Gregory made his £7.5m pitch a fortnight ago but has since seen the stakes upped.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-53071/Football-Villa-wont-Lampard.html

• Like 1

Hernandez seems to think he's coming to Villa - maybe given 'the system' he'd be better on the bench than Ayew..

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/abel-hernandez-ready-to-quit-hull-city-for-aston-villa-say-reports/story-29919383-detail/story.html?

The Italian football site TuttoMercatoWeb reports: "Abel Hernandez is to bid farewell to Hull City. Decision virtually taken. In January, Hernandez will leave Hull City, but his future should still be in England. He thinks Aston Villa is a possibility that can become concrete soon.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Hernandez seems to think he's coming to Villa - maybe given 'the system' he'd be better on the bench than Ayew..

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/abel-hernandez-ready-to-quit-hull-city-for-aston-villa-say-reports/story-29919383-detail/story.html?

The Italian football site TuttoMercatoWeb reports: "Abel Hernandez is to bid farewell to Hull City. Decision virtually taken. In January, Hernandez will leave Hull City, but his future should still be in England. He thinks Aston Villa is a possibility that can become concrete soon.

I don't see it. He'd cost more than £10m when we don't have it, and they've hardly got any players anyway. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

No way should we be buying yet another "championship" striker. We have enough of those.

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Pat Murphy says we're unlikely to spend much because we're crashing into the FFP ceiling. 

Yeah I read that but then, have we not already smashed that to smithereens anyway? I also read conflicting reports about it not applying under certain circumstances. 

Either way, I'm sure we do have, we just might not want to spend it? 

Yeah, part of me feel like we might as well just go all in for it and screw FFP as we are already seen as the Man City of the Championship and have likely committed us to spending over what we are allowed to.

Also fear that we might be in real trouble should we fail to get promoted this (or at the least next) season both for financial reasons and because of the state of the squad in regards to age and probable departures.