January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Understand what you are trying to say, but we have literally bought the BEST players in the championship, and some with glimmers of PL potential, still no excuses for our performances and decisions.

We haven't bought the best players in the championship. We have simply paid the best money.

Massive difference between the two things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

We haven't bought the best players in the championship. We have simply paid the best money.

Massive difference between the two things. 

Hourihane, McCormack, Landsbury, Kodjia, Hogan etc, are undoubtedley upper echelon in this level no matter how you want to disguise it. Whether we paid 1 pound or 100 million.

The majority of pundits and fans waxed lyrical about these players and after January were expecting us to become a force. (As usual).

We just always turn out to be the great looking, chiseled bloke at the bar with the 6 figure job, great personality, and micro penis.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 17:52, dudevillaisnice said:

I've already said the personnel isn't the problem. I think we have spent well personally. The players are good enough. The problem for me is coaching and obvious mental issue. Buying lower league players works for other smaller clubs as there is no pressure. We have deeper problems. 

Agreed.

Our transfer policy under both RDM and SB has been good IMO. I'd even say the appointment of both managers fits in with that same policy. People who have had success at this level. Taking punts on lower league players didn't make much sense for us. We came down and needed a huge rebuild. Signing a bunch of League 1 players who've yet to play at this  level would've been incredibly defeatist and maybe even see us worse than where we are now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At the time of the January window I was happy with the signings but felt uneasy about some of the players we let go. It was clear we were going to be light up front, so I would have kept Ayew, and for however much I didn't rate him, I'd have kept Westwood. He's miles better than Gardner and Bacuna. We're in a situation where we've been playing Lansbury too deep (pre Jedinak's return), when we could have played Westwood instead. We're also in a situation when where, when we want to change the game or try other attacking options, we have nobody. Ayew has won us quite a few points from similar positions. 

I have hope that over time, next year, we can be a good team—under Bruce. We had won something like 4 games in 51 before he came—we've tried every managerial combination under the sun while becoming progressively more daunting a prospect for anyone new. But back to my first point, I think we shot ourselves in the foot letting Ayew and Westwood go (although we did get good money for Westwood). 

6 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

At the time of the January window I was happy with the signings but felt uneasy about some of the players we let go. It was clear we were going to be light up front, so I would have kept Ayew, and for however much I didn't rate him, I'd have kept Westwood. He's miles better than Gardner and Bacuna. We're in a situation where we've been playing Lansbury too deep (pre Jedinak's return), when we could have played Westwood instead. We're also in a situation when where, when we want to change the game or try other attacking options, we have nobody. Ayew has won us quite a few points from similar positions. 

I have hope that over time, next year, we can be a good team—under Bruce. We had won something like 4 games in 51 before he came—we've tried every managerial combination under the sun while becoming progressively more daunting a prospect for anyone new. But back to my first point, I think we shot ourselves in the foot letting Ayew and Westwood go (although we did get good money for Westwood). 

I'm not bothered about losing Westwood or ayew to be honest - I do think we should have kept gestede who offered something different up front at a time when we were crying out for strikers .

im at a loss to see what's going wrong - we have a good owner splashing loads of cash , he has made good appointments behind the scenes with football men and we have a manager who has won promotion 4 times besides filling the team with players who looked quality at other clubs - yet for all that we play like a bunch of strangers who have little or no team spirit - it's hugely frustrating for all concerned.

i believe it's fair to give Bruce these 3 games to turn it around but should he fail then I cannot see how he could continue as the pressure would build to breaking point .