January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I dont think we have enough to get in the top 6. Nor to win the playoffs.

So literally anyone to replace Hutton, Westwood, Gardner & Gaby in the 1st 11.

Next step - LW

Cover @ CB & DM if possible

Cover @ LB too 

I have some hens that are quite adept at manoeuvring and a jack russell with springs for legs.  Any good for replacements only need corn and butchers tripe. 

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Problem is it's a shitty cycle, how do we get better if the good players we are after won't join? I would love us to just chuck ridiculous money at some but my head knows its not the way.

We signed good players in the summer....players who were proven scorers in this division and another who played in a euro championships semi final.

The problem was the club wasn't ready to compete and win again...now we gradually are so I think we need to continue signing as we are.

Everyone knows we need midfielders...get 2 out of Lansbury, Hourihane and Cairney and we will look so much better.

My problem now is where we are in the league. I really thought we'd get in at least another striker before Wolves given we let Rudy go but appears not. We can't afford to drop more silly points and be even further off the pace.

It's no good signing all these good players on January 31st if we're about 12 points off 6th by then.

• Like 3

Wow that is robbery at its greatest from Sheffield Wednesday. 1.5M for Winnall and Hourihane. Come on Bruce go get him!!

1. Steve Bruce at #AVFC also interested in #Barnsleyfc Hourihane and may make late move to challenge #SWFC bid. 2/2

9 replies47 retweets28 likes

Retweet

More

Reliably informed fee of around £1mill on table from #SWFC for #Barnsleyfc Conor Hourihane. Talks ongoing. Could be done in coming days 1/2

That Hourihane bid from Sheffield Wednesday must be bull as he's got far more value to him than that. Seriously, if he goes to one of their local rivals for within 2M of that I will be wondering what we're playing at. Hourihane seems a no-brainer after the season he's had so far. 

A certain person at Barnsley FC represented Stuart Hall in his trial where he was accused of indecently assaulting 13 girls. His lawyer's skills got him off with just a 15 month jail term. So, people at the top at Barnsley can negotiate unbelievably well when it suits them although, in that trial I would argue that he negotiated far too well! :bang:

I would rather we offer 3 Million for Hourihane and get him in over the next few days than let this window drag on any further waiting on CM's.

We need them in as soon as possible!

I would also be inclined to sack off Lansbury and move on to the next target. I really thought we had prepared for this window in December so that we could move players in as soon as the window opened ready to get the points on the board required for the playoffs.

Saturday is now another game where our midfield options include Westwood, Bacuna & Gardner... 

• Like 3

Good scouting is just as much knowing the players that will actually join you, as it finding the good players.

Villa have consistently failed in this department for years. We always seem to be losing out on our top target for one reason or another, and it goes all the way back to the Doug days. 

Hourihane for £1mil is like advertising a fantastic car worth £5k+ for £3k to get it gone quick, someone coming and offering £1k and you accepting. 

If Hourihane was a car I would assume his owner was a drug dealer who needed to sell off evidence ASAP. Therefore the Barnsley owner is some sort of criminal mastermind and Hourihane has seen too much 

44 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I would rather we offer 3 Million for Hourihane and get him in over the next few days than let this window drag on any further waiting on CM's.

We need them in as soon as possible!

I would also be inclined to sack off Lansbury and move on to the next target. I really thought we had prepared for this window in December so that we could move players in as soon as the window opened ready to get the points on the board required for the playoffs.

Saturday is now another game where our midfield options include Westwood, Bacuna & Gardner... 

You can be prepared all you like but things change. Lansbury seems to be agreed but then they get their takeover delayed. That's beyond our control. We got in Johnstone straight away. I understand the urgency but in reality if we fail to get in the playoffs it won't be because of the next 3 games. Getting to the right ones will get us closer over the remaining ones though. Hopefully Bruce wants Hourihane. I'd be inclined to offer £2-3m and then the same again if we are promoted in the next 2 years. I'd be using that sort of bid on all our targets to be fair. That'd be a win win or all and it'd get things done quicker. 

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Why are 'tabling a late bid' rather than being right in there in the first place. Lazy.

I might be being overly critical but all I hear is that we are 'preparing' or 'considering' bids. The bids should have gone in on the first of the window! 

I'm probably being over dramatic by believing the press and I should perhaps take more comfort in Xia's tweet about working on a number things