January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

They might as well cut the window down to 1 week, because they all play brinkman and wait until the last week any way.

Or Scrap it and go back to the old system.

If they cut it down to one week all the deals will be done in the last 10 minutes.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

They might as well cut the window down to 1 week, because they all play brinkman and wait until the last week any way.

Or Scrap it and go back to the old system.

Make that one day and it would crash the interwebs

We have an unbalanced squad as Bruce himself alluded to when he took over. Specifically that 6 strikers was too many and Gestede for a midfielder was the plan. But it doesn't end there and much as we want to see the team on the pitch improved our squad is an absolute shambles. Especially if the plan was 4-3-3 and our new manager likes a 4-4-2.

3 goalies on the books with no one the stand out obvious first choice. Ok Steer is injured but Gollini wasn't the short term solution and Bunn, well at least his contract is up in the summer. No offers flooding in for any of them and as such, Bruce feels we'd be better off loaning a kid out of Man Utd's reserves and sorting it out in the summer. Right Back is still a mess despite RDL so as i've said before kind of a free pass coz they tried and no one can predict injuries. But having said that 6 years of Hutton? is that really real? Bacuna? lol at Bacuna every time. Yes guys and girls they (may) work hard but they're both shit. But don't fear, Richards might come back from injury just after the window shuts. So that's great then. 4 players on the books and not the cheapest of wages and all 3 that are fit are not good enough. Left Back was looking great until a few weeks ago and it all seems to be going wrong for Amavi. But for me he walks into the team as Cissokho is just terrible. Centre Back is ok with Chester/Baker doing alright. Elphick has been largely disappointing and then what? the kids? Toner? Sulliman? Right Midfield we have Adomah who I like and what, a Bacuna? (lol@Bacuna). Left Midfield we have no one at all unless you count Green. In Central Midfield Jedinak is obviously my kind of player despite his limited ability on the ball and then Gardner, Grealish, Westwood, Tshibola and Lyden all under contract. Strikers, Kodjia we like, Gabby and Kozak are done. At least at B6. Ayew + McCormack have hardly made themselves indispensible. And there are talented kids waiting in the wings. I've got that at 25 full time contracts and Johnstone in on loan.

Forgetting all the he CAN play here and there stuff we have a squad of 4 Goalkeepers, 4 Right Backs, 3 Centre Backs, 2 Left Backs, 1 Right Midfielder, 6 Central Midfielders, 1 Left Winger and 5 Strikers.

• Like 2

So of the 26 that are here lets cut the kids some slack. Gollini, Lyden, Tshibola, Grealish and Green. Those 5 can always improve and most of us wouldn't have an issue with them at least making up the squad and maybe 2 or 3 could head out on loan even. Obvious first teamers - so Chester, Baker, Amavi, Jedinak, Adomah and Kodjia for me at the moment. They pick themselves due to lack of real competition if they're all fit. Johnstone is in for the first team. that's 12 out of 26. RDL and Steer are injured ok so 14 of this squad of 26 going nowhere.

Of the other 12 Hutton, Bunn and Kozak are on expiring contracts. Unless something weird happens (Kozak gets a free etc) it's fairly safe to assume they are here for the remainder of the season. But they certainly aren't generating any income. Richards is injured until after the window shuts.

Leaving the other 8. Bacuna, Cissokho, Elphick, Gardner, Westwood, Gabby, Ayew and MCormack. I'd argue these are our saleable commodities. However Cissokho and Elphick are the only cover for their positions. McCormack is an 8 figure signing this season and for me it would be odd to let him leave. What with the injuries at RB Bacuna is the cover for Hutton but even if Richards comes back from injury in Feb, Bacuna is still our only cover for Adomah. As well as our left midfielder atm it seems. Ayew is arguably our second best striker and a starting 11 player arguably our best left midfielder this year too. 

So anyone want to buy a slightly used Westwood or Gardner? What about an injured Richards? Gabby? 

Oh. I see. So maybe entertaining offers on Cissokho, Bacuna, Ayew or McCormack isn't so silly after all.........

But we're in a mess - important to remember these guys didn't make it - but all these things don't usually get sorted in 3-4 weeks.

• Like 4

Well, those tweets are reassuring at least. It would be good to have a couple of signings in, ready for the Wolves game though as I can see it being a difficult game. They should be on a high after the Stoke result.

• Like 1

Just now, wilko154 said:

Glad to see we have 7-8 targets and are expecting 3-4 to be brought in... shows we have backup options in place in case we don't get the intended target.

Back up options - Jesus I worry that Lansbury is plan A !