January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

7 minutes ago, tonitottakai said:

Bruce spotted in the stands watching Man United - Hull. So, which of the players are we signing?

Probably little Bruce. 

Edit: Little Bruce isn't out. 

Edited by Sam3773

18 minutes ago, tonitottakai said:

Bruce spotted in the stands watching Man United - Hull. So, which of the players are we signing?

Huddlestone I would guess or Hernandez. 

Edited by John

The best thing about Bruce is he will be looking at young players doing well in the lower leagues as well as considering those with the right attitude.

It's been a while since I trusted a manager to do that and even longer still since we had one who was capable.
Early days but the players we've been linked to point to the right direction in terms of the Championship. 

• Like 2

Proving to be very tricky so far, seems everyone is in for the same players.

i preferred the old system prior to 2002....we seemed to handle our transfers much better then.

Edited by TRO

We need some bite and some pace in our midfield as a priority  

He's got a decent football  brain on him but Huddlestone has to be a no surely ? 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Cissokho looks likely to leave in the next few days for Olympiakos* so that would leave us light at left back, new player to come into the side in that position? Or putting faith in Amavi and hoping for no injury?

Maybe Bruce was watching Robertson? 

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Look at RHM. wanting big money to stay. Look at our most recent signings.. all came for money. Lansbury apparently our huge offer has convinced him. Not saying they wont play with passion or desire but we need to be careful and make sure they are the right players with hunger and desire to play for the club.. not just a pay rise. We be stuck with a bunch of Gabby Agbonlahors.. players like Nzogbia not wanting to leave so they can run down their contracts. 

It's great to have players with the right attitude that are both hard working and talented.

Unfortunately, nowadays it's very very difficult to find such players as there are so few e.g. committed or "hungry" players lacking in technical skills, talented players who don't put the graft in etc.

Money is always going to be the main factor followed by club status or progress and prestige and hopefully likelihood of playing regularly. 

Clubs have to entice players with significant financial incentives and sometimes even the promise of being moved on to a "bigger" club if they "make their name" or perform well for a length of time e.g. release clauses. We've been victims of this ourselves.

At least at higher levels, football isn't the most ethical or prestigious of sports anymore, it's all about the money...just look at the agents and the huge fees they get for pulling off big transfers.

A good scouting department should at least be capable of identifying players who perform well consistently and maintain high standards. Sometimes it can be worth taking a risk on an unproven player or even one with a bad attitude etc. in the hope that they can be moulded and improved but consistent performers are a must. Build a decent team first.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Cissokho looks likely to leave in the next few days for Olympiakos* so that would leave us light at left back, new player to come into the side in that position? Or putting faith in Amavi and hoping for no injury?

Maybe Bruce was watching Robertson? 

I doubt it would be Robertson as he has been linked with many clubs before and seems to be quite highly rated, would be out of reach and too expensive for us I feel. I do wonder who he would be scouting as he would of course know all or most of the Hull City players very well so I presume he might have been checking out someone he's not so familiar with?

If we're willing to let Cissokho leave, maybe we have a realistic chance of signing Brady who could cover that position when needed but usually play LM? Schlupp has been linked too and could also perform a dual role.

Edited by Jas10

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/10/por-bruce-casts-eye-over-barnsleys-hourihane/

Aston Villa are planning a bid for Barnsley midfielder Conor Hourihane, after Steve Bruce made a final check on the Irishman at the weekend, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Hourihane is one of the most in-demand players in the country after impressing for Barnsley this season.

The Barnsley captain has been one of the stars of the Championship so far this season and his performances have not gone unnoticed among some bigger clubs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Marcus Maddison mentioned.... I know nothing about him...(can't post link from phone)

I mentioned him earlier in the thread as someone I'd like to bring in as our left winger. He has some of the highest stats for chances created, key passes and assists in the whole of the football league in 2016. Hes quick and looks like he's too good for league 1 for sure.

However, looking at his Twitter shows that his attitude stinks and I'm not sure Bruce would want someone with his attitude stinking out the dressing room.

He recently responded to a Peterborough fan criticising his performance by saying something along the lines of "I bet you were one of the people complaining about me last season, well I'm the teams best player and the only reason we didn't get relegated last year"

Don't know if he's had the sense to delete it since