Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

A few things have stood out for me, even with the short time Bruce has been here. For months now many of us have been saying we're not fit enough, we look sluggish and it was great for Bruce to come in and after one game say just that. I think Bruce said we were alarmingly unfit, which I fully agree with.

It was also nice to see him sub Jedinak. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Jedinak at all but I think he is struggling a bit right now, perhaps due to fitness perhaps just settling in. But we have seen some average performances from him lately and Di Matteo never seem to notice, Bruce made that change and I was just pleased to see he wasn't going to overlook things like this.

I also thought it was quite interesting what he said regarding Bacuna and Ayew and how they didn't feature because they had long flights home. It's this sort of thinking I'm starting to like from Bruce and it's this sort of thinking we have been missing as of late.

They are all simple things I know, but i've not really heard anything like this come from any of our 4 or so previous managers. It just feels like we finally have someone who has the experiance to think this way.

• Like 2

I agree with the bits I chopped out too, but I think your last bit was trying to say this

8 minutes ago, Grumpy_Lion said:

:snip:

It just feels like we finally have "a manager".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Not aimed at Brucey in particular - but the significance of pre and post match press conferences is so overstated

Pre Match

"It will be a tough game - but were ready for it"

Post match loss

"We were unlucky - should have a a penalty - there work to do - but were taking positives into the next game"

Post Match win

"we worked hard and deserved our win"

Post Match Draw

"We were unlucky - should have a a penalty - there's work to do - but were taking positives into the next game"

Sure they are mainly boiler plate, but I thought when he talked about keeping it tight and not being too open - that points to a similar set up to the other night. Keep it tight in the 1st 65/70 mins then as they tire hopefully our forwards can show their quality. It's a good plan with our squad and where we are as a team psychologically. I just hope the moaners aren't too loud at VP if it's 0-0 or 0-1 at half time.

I also agree that his recent knowledge of this league and the teams in it is a huge asset which we didn't have with RDM. I'm warming to Bruce.

Just now, TheAuthority said:

Sure they are mainly boiler plate, but I thought when he talked about keeping it tight and not being too open - that points to a similar set up to the other night. Keep it tight in the 1st 65/70 mins then as they tire hopefully our forwards can show their quality. It's a good plan with our squad and where we are as a team psychologically. I just hope the moaners aren't too loud at VP if it's 0-0 or 0-1 at half time.

I also agree that his recent knowledge of this league and the teams in it is a huge asset which we didn't have with RDM. I'm warming to Bruce.

Their value also heavily relies upon the questions being asked. 

I'm sorry to have to say this but " Stevie boy" and  "Potato head" seems like a reluctant attempt to be pleased for him if he wins.

I'm not looking for superlatives just yet, but can we muster a tad of respect for the guy.

Steve, Mr Bruce, Steve Bruce.....is it really that hard to muster a bit of respect to our manager?

i hope i am not being too pedantic, but it comes across, disrespectful.

would we have said " Ronnie boy" to Ron Saunders....perhaps I'm getting old

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I'm sorry to have to say this but " Stevie boy" and  "Potato head" seems like a reluctant attempt to be pleased for him if he wins.

I'm not looking for superlatives just yet, but can we muster a tad of respect for the guy.

Steve, Mr Bruce, Steve Bruce.....is it really that hard to muster a bit of respect to our manager?

Hear hear. I never liked the term potato head. Its something a five year old would say.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

'Stevie Boy' is disrespectful!? Blimey. I wrote that on a post further up this page. I really like Steve Bruce, wanted I him as a manager as soon as RDM went and I want him to stay for a long tenure. No disrespect was meant, at all.  (But I do dislike the potato head thing, he's our manager now!)

A lot of meaning is lost in the written word that otherwise would be accompanied by tone of voice, and body language. I meant it in an affectionate way but I suppose that's hard to get across without explicitly saying it.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

'Stevie Boy' is disrespectful!? Blimey. I wrote that on a post further up this page. I really like Steve Bruce, wanted I him as a manager as soon as RDM went and I want him to stay for a long tenure. No disrespect was meant, at all.  (But I do dislike the potato head thing, he's our manager now!)

A lot of meaning is lost in the written word that otherwise would be accompanied by tone of voice, and body language. I meant it in an affectionate way but I suppose that's hard to get across without explicitly saying it.

i thought it was a bit loose and colloquial.

You said it and I respect your response.

I am not trying to be over protective of the guy.....but like i said in my post, we need to be respectful of our manager....if we aren't why should the players or more importantly the opposition.

I didn't pick up the same colloquial terms regarding our previous managers, so i kinda picked up on it.

I accept you favoured his appointment, but in light of that and of some fans that didn't , i thought it was a strange terminology to use...just my take on it.

ps the context added to it too.....like win or your dead.

Edited by TRO

25 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not sure how Stevie Boy is disrespectful in any way although I agree with you regarding Potato Head.

It was the way in which it was linked to win or else.....stevie boy.

look, i might be me being over sensitive here and misconstruing what alreadyexists really meant.

just the way it came over to me.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

i thought it was a bit loose and colloquial.

You said it and I respect your response.

I am not trying to be over protective of the guy.....but like i said in my post, we need to be respectful of our manager....if we aren't why should the players or more importantly the opposition.

I didn't pick up the same colloquial terms regarding our previous managers, so i kinda picked up on it.

I accept you favoured his appointment, but in light of that and of some fans that didn't , i thought it was a strange terminology to use...just my take on it.

ps the context added to it too.....like win or your dead.

That couldn't have been further from my meaning... Obviously you don't know me, but that is nothing like how I think or act or ever speak, and meaning is hard to get meaning across purely in written form. 

It is a little colloquial (because I'm not writing a Jane Austen novel!) but I didn't honestly put that much thought in to it, I suppose I meant something along the lines of "We're in this together Steve, and you've given us a life line with the win on Tuesday, but win again and although we score 3 pts in the league, it's worth much more to us as it will give us back to back wins and more confidence and belief"... but I'm also acutely aware that posting in this thread isn't speaking directly to Steve Bruce, so I wasn't addressing Steve but posting my thoughts for other Villa fans to read.

I still don't think calling him 'Stevie Boy' is disrespectful, I meant it in an affectionate way. Each to their own though, but absolutely no disrespect was meant to Steve Bruce, I really like him!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

That couldn't have been further from my meaning... Obviously you don't know me, but that is nothing like how I think or act or ever speak, and meaning is hard to get meaning across purely in written form. 

It is a little colloquial (because I'm not writing a Jane Austen novel!) but I didn't honestly put that much thought in to it, I suppose I meant something along the lines of "We're in this together Steve, and you've given us a life line with the win on Tuesday, but win again and although we score 3 pts in the league, it's worth much more to us as it will give us back to back wins and more confidence and belief"... but I'm also acutely aware that posting in this thread isn't speaking directly to Steve Bruce, so I wasn't addressing Steve but posting my thoughts for other Villa fans to read.

I still don't think calling him 'Stevie Boy' is disrespectful, I meant it in an affectionate way. Each to their own though, but absolutely no disrespect was meant to Steve Bruce, I really like him!

Then you deserve my apology.....and I apologise for misinterpreting your intended comments.

• Like 3

Steve Bruce with Stephen Clemence tonight watching the blues game. Really liked to see that. The night before a big game he chooses not to put his feet up, but drives over to Burton to study our next opponents.  Love it.  This guy is really growing on me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coda said:

Is 'Brucie' acceptable?

His mates would probably call him that. So, yeah. I don't think that " Brucie boy" is that bad either. I have been called something similar by people younger than me, and in context, it wasn't meant in disrespect.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coda said:

Is 'Brucie' acceptable?

Well you're a villa fan....its whether you feel comfortable with it?

I think "Brucie" v "Stevie Boy"or "Potato Head"....is a bit different.

calling a 55 year old man "boy" in my book is derogatory....just my take, but i have explained my self in a earlier post.

Â