Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd be lying if I told you I know where Curacao is. Yes he is Dutch but represents them.

They are either Caribbean or South American ish region. lol

I just know he plays in Concacaf tornaments with the likes of Mexico, USA, Jamaica, Honduras etc.

Just North of Venezuela (about 40 miles), next major island East of Aruba. Part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands....

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was only Colchester so it's hard to assess Bruce much based on it, but I thought Bruce was a tad less defensive last night.

I thought the selection was more positive. I thought the game plan was more positive.

Not much more, but I don't think it needs to be much more.

We had an extra creative player compared to Saturday ( and most of last year) and it showed.

It showed when we were better going forward. And it showed when we were a bit dodgier at the back.

But for me that's what he needs to do all the time, except against a couple of better sides away from home.

Risk a little more defensively to achieve more offensively.

Will be very interested to see whether  he does the same Saturday. ( sadly doubt it though !!)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm most disappointed with Bruce's signings last January, I'll reserve judgement on the latest batch. 

Bree - young but not great
Hogan - Meh
Lansbury - Alirght but doesn't boss a game anywhere near enough
Hourihane - Can't get in the side
Taylor - Poor first game of the season but was ok last season

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong, but just seems like more money wasted by a Villa manager. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, roadoftrinity said:

I'm most disappointed with Bruce's signings last January, I'll reserve judgement on the latest batch. 

Bree - young but not great
Hogan - Meh
Lansbury - Alirght but doesn't boss a game anywhere near enough
Hourihane - Can't get in the side
Taylor - Poor first game of the season but was ok last season

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong, but just seems like more money wasted by a Villa manager. 

 

You forgot Thor......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, roadoftrinity said:

I'm most disappointed with Bruce's signings last January, I'll reserve judgement on the latest batch. 

Bree - young but not great
Hogan - Meh
Lansbury - Alirght but doesn't boss a game anywhere near enough
Hourihane - Can't get in the side
Taylor - Poor first game of the season but was ok last season

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong, but just seems like more money wasted by a Villa manager. 

 

I think he wasted a lot of money at Sunderland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Junxs said:

Terry - one year contract, big wages which has stopped us getting a proper creative player instead, also meant we sacrificed Baker for the next 10 years to get 1 year of Terry - Eggs in one basket type of signing, if we dont go up then we'll look stupid. If we go up, then you have your miracle, but we need to score 80+ goals , almost twice as many as last year. Personally dont think we have the creativity to do this and the defence was fine last year so think resources could have been used better.

Erm how do you know his big wages have stopped us signing a creative player?

Ten years of Baker, thank god we don't have to suffer that, diabolical defender.

Also I'd imagine the Terry shirt sales will have gone quite well as well as the extra interest it will have bought the club on a global scale, so pretty good signing if the trade up is Baker for ten years or Terry for possible two years. 

 

Edited by Tommo_b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Junxs said:

I find this post baffling, his transfers have been "miracle working"??

Some would argue that the we are still waiting for any one of his signings to prove they were worth it yet.

Thor - on course to be the new Bacuna (once he leaves) - think people are starting to get fed up of him not showing even the basics of footballing ability. Personally think he needs time after an injury, but I've seen many people moaning about his already. No miracle here. 

Lansbury - don't think he's settled at all, hasn't improved our midfield from this time last year, no "miracle"

Hourihane - same as above, no "miracle"

Johnstone - We are still waiting for him to make his first diving save in 20 odd games (Steer managed it in just one match), despite not showing anything last season hes been brought back again for a 2nd time. It will be a "miracle" when he makes his first diving save. 

Hogan - at the moment looks like the biggest waste of money the club has ever spent. Yes there is time for improvement but we have not seen it from him yet. Hope he comes good i really do. Definitely not a "miracle signing"

Bree - Havent seen enough of him to make a judgement yet, so certainly doesn't fit into this "miracle" bracket.

Taylor - played his part in the good defensive of last season, but doesn't get forward or offer an alternative creative route like modern fullbacks. Solid but unspectacular

Terry - one year contract, big wages which has stopped us getting a proper creative player instead, also meant we sacrificed Baker for the next 10 years to get 1 year of Terry - Eggs in one basket type of signing, if we dont go up then we'll look stupid. If we go up, then you have your miracle, but we need to score 80+ goals , almost twice as many as last year. Personally dont think we have the creativity to do this and the defence was fine last year so think resources could have been used better.

Samba - definitely not a miracle. Similar to comments above. We had the 5th best defence last season, not sure why Bruce has concentrated on fixing a problem that didn't need fixing, whilst largely ignoring the creativity issues.

Whelan - decent player, but will be on big wages coming down from the prem, again I think we should have used those wages on a creative player rather than another deep lying sitting midfielder. Ageing midfielder cant hack the prem anymore so drops down to championship shocker. Think he'll do alright but hardly a miracle signing.

Elmohamady - He's Bruce's adopted son, so its not a miracle to get him, in fact would have been a miracle if Bruce hadn't signed him, one of the most predictable signings ever and I said it would happen in January last year. 

Onomah - Can't comment, haven't seen enough of him

Over all I say miracle my arse. If Bruce gets the boot in a months time, I see 4 or 5 players that will be in the next managers bomb squad.

 

You've missed the point and gone off on one about the players signed because you don't like them.

I'm talking about the overall position. What Bruce and the club have done with the squad since Jan, whilst somehow turning a profit is bordering on a miracle. Whether you rate the individuals signed or not is irrelevant, on paper the business we've done has been unreal. 

The value of individual signings will be judged over time, but if someone had said we'd sign 3 experienced players from the PL, 3 outstanding performers from the Championship (in their primes too), plus a couple of others AND manage to make a decent profit from player sales, nobody would have believed it. 

Praise be. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

You've missed the point and gone off on one about the players signed because you don't like them.

I'm talking about the overall position. What Bruce and the club have done with the squad since Jan, whilst somehow turning a profit is bordering on a miracle. Whether you rate the individuals signed or not is irrelevant, on paper the business we've done has been unreal. 

The value of individual signings will be judged over time, but if someone had said we'd sign 3 experienced players from the PL, 3 outstanding performers from the Championship (in their primes too), plus a couple of others AND manage to make a decent profit from player sales, nobody would have believed it. 

Praise be. 

Amen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I take the point and of course it's good news that we have a better balance sheet, and of course some of the signings may be very good, I'm not sure it's miraculous, or even unusual, for a team selling off its Premier League players and buying for the Championship to show a profit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

You've missed the point and gone off on one about the players signed because you don't like them.

I'm talking about the overall position. What Bruce and the club have done with the squad since Jan, whilst somehow turning a profit is bordering on a miracle. Whether you rate the individuals signed or not is irrelevant, on paper the business we've done has been unreal. 

The value of individual signings will be judged over time, but if someone had said we'd sign 3 experienced players from the PL, 3 outstanding performers from the Championship (in their primes too), plus a couple of others AND manage to make a decent profit from player sales, nobody would have believed it. 

Praise be. 

Hallelujah 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Whilst I take the point and of course it's good news that we have a better balance sheet, and of course some of the signings may be very good, I'm not sure it's miraculous, or even unusual, for a team selling off its Premier League players and buying for the Championship to show a profit.

I don't disagree in principal, but we've done it without having any decent assets to sell as such.

The squad had been so criminally underfunded in the run up to relegation, we never had a Benteke, Delph etc to sell for big money and rebuild.

To get actual cash money (and reasonable amounts too) for the likes of Veretout, Cissokho and now possibly Bacuna, is pretty amazing really. Especially 12 months on from relegation. 

It's not often you'd see a profit turned and the value of the squad increase, which I think it has from the squad that was relegated. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Whilst I take the point and of course it's good news that we have a better balance sheet, and of course some of the signings may be very good, I'm not sure it's miraculous, or even unusual, for a team selling off its Premier League players and buying for the Championship to show a profit.

We sold our loan players and subs on the most part. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

We sold our loan players and subs on the most part. 

Spot on. We've turned a profit on toxic assets, whilst improving the squad. Like water into wine ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally speaking ( and I'm not one of Bruce's biggest fans) I do think Bruce has improved the squad while not spending tons of money.

My main gripe with him is that he hasn't got those players playing to their full potential yet when you also consider he has some very talented youngsters coming through.

I also would have liked to see him show a bit more faith in Lyden rather than spending a fee and high wages on Whelan but that's only personal preference.

 

Edited by striker
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't disagree at all and I think all his signings bar Samba and Birkir will prove decent enough....and since Samba was virtually free no harm done there.

A couple are a bit older but I see no harm in that most Championship sides have a few old hands.

He just needs to use them well now !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I don't disagree in principal, but we've done it without having any decent assets to sell as such.

The squad had been so criminally underfunded in the run up to relegation, we never had a Benteke, Delph etc to sell for big money and rebuild.

To get actual cash money (and reasonable amounts too) for the likes of Veretout, Cissokho and now possibly Bacuna, is pretty amazing really. Especially 12 months on from relegation. 

It's not often you'd see a profit turned and the value of the squad increase, which I think it has from the squad that was relegated. 

 

But a lot of these were set up before Bruce even came. 

Sanchez, Gil, Veretout all went on loan and no one had any expectations they'd be back, those loans were always going to turn into sales at some point

Amavi was another that's clearly rated and never looked like staying here for years to come. 

I think it's way over the top to claim it's a miracle, I'd imagine the same players would have left the club regardless of who the manager was. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is Bruce personally handling negotiations when selling players now?

I do not believe that is the case.

I'm sure he had a major part in bringing in Terry, Johnstone & Elmo, Samba and Whelan as well probably. 

But other than that?  Nah. I'm sure he had a say in the other transfers, but that's about it.

I think we bought fairly well since Bruce came in, I think we used said players fairly poorly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sne said:

So is Bruce personally handling negotiations when selling players now?

I do not believe that is the case.

I'm sure he had a major part in bringing in Terry, Johnstone & Elmo, Samba and Whelan as well probably. 

But other than that?  Nah. I'm sure he had a say in the other transfers, but that's about it.

I think we bought fairly well since Bruce came in, I think we used said players fairly poorly.

Well if you're referring to my posts I did say "not all down to Bruce" and "what Bruce and the club have done". 

It's a collective. I would imagine Bruce decides who/what he wants in and those he's prepared to let go, then the Doc, Wyness and Round will come in and try and make it happen. 

The overall position we are in now, has loads to do with Bruce though and he deserves a large part of the credit for that. If you think the squad is decent of course, which some clearly don't and that's fine, we'll all be able to make that judgement using hindsight soon enough. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

But a lot of these were set up before Bruce even came. 

Sanchez, Gil, Veretout all went on loan and no one had any expectations they'd be back, those loans were always going to turn into sales at some point

Amavi was another that's clearly rated and never looked like staying here for years to come. 

I think it's way over the top to claim it's a miracle, I'd imagine the same players would have left the club regardless of who the manager was. 

 

 

The three I mentioned weren't. Veretout went to a different club, as did Cissokho and nobody seriously thought somebody would give us a fee for Bacuna did they?! 

As I've clarified, I'm not saying it's all down to Bruce, but whether he was told 'you've got 'X' to spend and the wage budget is 'Y' or he just chucked the names at Xia and he did the rest, Bruce still deserves credit and the club as a whole has done brilliantly. On paper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â