Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Bruce got lucky when Willock ran golden out of the blue. Still, brilliant for everyone else that he will be in charge next year.

Nonsense - they've been completely transformed by having Saint-Maximin and Wilson back (and looked a lot better with them in the side before the lengthy injuries).

Bruce wasn't good for us, but he's doing pretty well at Newcastle.

So the done better than anyone could ever have hoped he could ever have done because he's a great manager doing a great job narrative gets the big sign off that his mates in the media all wanted, no doubt 12th is a "miracle" 

Just don't wheel out the attacking play stats... 

Awful football team 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Nonsense - they've been completely transformed by having Saint-Maximin and Wilson back (and looked a lot better with them in the side before the lengthy injuries).

Bruce wasn't good for us, but he's doing pretty well at Newcastle.

Danny Devito No GIF by reactionseditor

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

So the done better than anyone could ever have hoped he could ever have done because he's a great manager doing a great job narrative gets the big sign off that his mates in the media all wanted, no doubt 12th is a "miracle" 

Just don't wheel out the attacking play stats... 

Awful football team 

I doubt anyone here predicted Newcastle to finish higher than 16th.  Given Bruce is so shit, it pretty much is a miracle that they came 12th - no?

Just now, bobzy said:

I doubt anyone here predicted Newcastle to finish higher than 16th.  Given Bruce is so shit, it pretty much is a miracle that they came 12th - no?

Says a lot about the league

They are shit, Bruce's football is shit, you can say they got a couple of players to get them out of trouble but some good individual performances do not make him a good manager 

Averaging about 30% possession and 3 shots a game yet picking up points, it's not the odd game (like us today) it's every week, 0 points, 1 point, 3 points it's still the same poor boring to watch performance 

His whole philosophy is snatching points, doesn't matter if its away to man City or home to Sheffield utd he sets up to snatch points 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Says a lot about the league

They are shit, Bruce's football is shit, you can say they got a couple of players to get them out of trouble but some good individual performances do not make him a good manager 

Averaging about 30% possession and 3 shots a game yet picking up points, it's not the odd game (like us today) it's every week, 0 points, 1 point, 3 points it's still the same poor boring to watch performance 

His whole philosophy is snatching points, doesn't matter if its away to man City or home to Sheffield utd he sets up to snatch points 

I haven't checked, but I reckon there are worse sides in the league for all of the things you're listing.  Newcastle probably aren't even bottom 3.

Good manager?  Not for me.  Done pretty well at Newcastle though.  It's ok to give credit where it's due.

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Its a bit of a fluke though isn't it- 4 points between 12th and 16th.

Had Brighton actually took their chances this season they would be a lot higher. -6 goal difference compared to -21,-25,-16, and -16 respectively for clubs above them.  The table doesn't lie- but sometimes it tells a little fibb.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its a bit of a fluke though isn't it- 4 points between 12th and 16th.

Had Brighton actually took their chances this season they would be a lot higher. -6 goal difference compared to -21,-25,-16, and -16 respectively for clubs above them.  The table doesn't lie- but sometimes it tells a little fibb.

Yes, of course.  Had Newcastle lost their last two games, they've had finished 17th.

They also outscored (46 goals) everyone bar Southampton (47) in the bottom 9 sides - but whisper it, because they don't attack at all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Did not earn a single point more than Rafa did despite spending 100m.

What a manager. What a guy. What a job he has done. His mates are already writing the articles.

:D:D:D:D:D

Brighton under Potter are such a myth of a club. I'd back Newcastle to finish above them again next season.

Bruce has done alright for himself. Not sure what Newcastle's ambitions are, but 12th isn't so bad. It's not quite Burnley spending nothing and it's not quite Leeds/Villa spending 100m a window (and still finishing midtable) so maybe 12th is actually pretty good.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Brighton under Potter are such a myth of a club. I'd back Newcastle to finish above them again next season.

I think I disagree with this, and agree with @The Fun Factory's point. Goal difference over a season is a pretty useful metric, and it can be a little predictive. I remember that Brentford guy's TED talk when he talked about how it was no surprise that Newcastle nearly got relegated the season after they got 5th with a negative goal difference, and it should be a positive sign for Brighton that their goal difference is really pretty good. It suggests that with a significantly better striker than Maupay they'd be not far off us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think I disagree with this, and agree with @The Fun Factory's point. Goal difference over a season is a pretty useful metric, and it can be a little predictive. I remember that Brentford guy's TED talk when he talked about how it was no surprise that Newcastle nearly got relegated the season after they got 5th with a negative goal difference, and it should be a positive sign for Brighton that their goal difference is really pretty good. It suggests that with a significantly better striker than Maupay they'd be not far off us.

.....but not Tammy.

Bruce never learns.

Gets a decent run at the end of the season, and instead of talking the good talk to fans, he says that maybe people will eat some humble pie......

The guy just loves to make life difficult for himself......

I have read he is a great guy behind the scenes, but regardless, he is almost impossible to like with some of the stuff he comes out with, it's like he tries his hardest to rile up the fans...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â