Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

14 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

Player slagging of a manager that binned him off shocker 😂

Remember when Martin O'Neil left and Curtis Davies came out how nice it was that he'd gone because now he'd get a fair chance but the 1st thing Houllier did was get rid of him that was comedy gold. 

What isn't a shock is your comment all the players Bruce brought / managed for us and 1 says bad things about Bruce and you are all over it. 

That must be the most polite slagging off I've ever seen. All he did was describe his management style, so it's interesting that you think he was slagging him off.

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's what he's always done at Premier League level.

He's doing an ok job keeping a shit team above the relegation zone playing shite football.

It gets people's backs up because they don't like him and his football is so shit and unsustainable. But he's effective at what he does.

Yeah, he gets some credit for what he does seems to just do the job for a short period. 

I would just never want to go back to someone like him, regardless if it was ok short term. 

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah, he gets some credit for what he does seems to just do the job for a short period. 

I would just never want to go back to someone like him, regardless if it was ok short term. 

Agreed.

I think the only time I'd consider it is if we were genuinely on the brink of relegation and it was a last resort. But even then going down and coming back up with a better manager might be the better idea. I'm not scared of the Championship anymore.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

McGinn worked with him for 2 months. Kenny Cunningham worked with Bruce for 4 years and was his captain at blues, he said pretty much the same things about Bruce 15 years ago

Well you’ll have to forgive me then as I couldn’t honestly give a shit what any captain of that pile of shit thinks about anything.

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well you’ll have to forgive me then as I couldn’t honestly give a shit what any captain of that pile of shit thinks about anything.

But it is OK to defend somebody who captained and managed them 🤔😉

Why does it have to be so black and white? Either Bruce was good or Bruce is shit? 

I thought he done ok here, he steadied the ship and built a decent championship side. He wouldn't have taken us up though. There was such a disconnect between him and the fans because of the football. Smith came in, struggled at first but tried to get us playing attacking, entertaining football. 

It was clear that support grew for Smith quicker than it would for Bruce because of style of play. We got lucky last year with a once in a generation set of results. (10 wins). It wasn't only luck, attacking football and scoring goals breeds confidence and that's where we were at. 

Bruce won't change, he does what he does. It's not right, it's not wrong. It's absolutely not for me. I won't big him up like some do on here, I won't criticise him because there's no need anymore. 

All I will ask is, where would we be if Bruce was still in charge? We sure as hell wouldn't be a premier league side. That should tell us all we need to know in terms of the Bruce v Smith argument.

I'm not surprised by De Laet's comments. He hardly slagged SB off, just said his training methods were pretty simple e.g let's have a kickabout for an hour.

When you watched us play at times in 17/18 it's hardly a shock. If we trained in more detail they'd have been more signs of this in the actual matches rather than just relying on individualism in the final third to win many games as we did under him.

SB main strength I'd imagine is man management so I'd imagine lots of players feel comfortable playing under him even if the training isn't hugely challenging.

It's a bit like everyone speaking highly of MON, not because there was any genius training strategy but because he gave them half a week off from training most weeks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I'm not surprised by De Laet's comments. He hardly slagged SB off, just said his training methods were pretty simple e.g let's have a kickabout for an hour.

When you watched us play at times in 17/18 it's hardly a shock. If we trained in more detail they'd have been more signs of this in the actual matches rather than just relying on individualism in the final third to win many games as we did under him.

SB main strength I'd imagine is man management so I'd imagine lots of players feel comfortable playing under him even if the training isn't hugely challenging.

It's a bit like everyone speaking highly of MON, not because there was any genius training strategy but because he gave them half a week off from training most weeks.

Steve Bruce for me is a limited manager, he has a clear idea how to defend and has illustrated that with us and Newcastle....But when it comes to Progressive and expansive football he is in the wilderness. I think he has his good bits, in terms of transfers, he seems well connected, but the spectacle of his football is dour and boring. I wouldn't call him a Dinosaur, I just think he has vision of how to secure points and follows that Mantra.....If you take the hypothetical view of not scoring a goal all season, but not conceding one, a team may well stay up, I think that kind of thing sits in Steves Mind.

In contrast our manager is the opposite, he is swashbuckling and cavalier to a degree, but its exciting and easy on the eye, it gives hope and lends itself to a progressive approach, its always likely to get better.......Dean needs to work on us defending better as a team, which is doable in time and I am sure he will improve the quality of the squad, incrementally.

Its quite Interesting to me how John Terry with his massive reputation in football , has been comfortable working with both managers and despite their contrasting styles both managers are said to get on well with each other too.

It is also interesting how both managers have a similar win ratio with us....hoping Dean eventually eclipse's him.

I also think the times they were with us was different, to be fair to both of them.

I look at what a great job Ron Saunders did in his day, but I also appreciate the job Vic Crowe did before him.

Ps my Really last post in this thread "Sne"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Steve Bruce for me is a limited manager, he has a clear idea how to defend and has illustrated that with us and Newcastle....But when it comes to Progressive and expansive football he is in the wilderness. I think he has his good bits, in terms of transfers, he seems well connected, but the spectacle of his football is dour and boring. I wouldn't call him a Dinosaur, I just think he has vision of how to secure points and follows that Mantra.....If you take the hypothetical view of not scoring a goal all season, but not conceding one, a team may well stay up, I think that kind of thing sits in Steves Mind.

In contrast our manager is the opposite, he is swashbuckling and cavalier to a degree, but its exciting and easy on the eye, it gives hope and lends itself to a progressive approach, its always likely to get better.......Dean needs to work on us defending better as a team, which is doable in time and I am sure he will improve the quality of the squad, incrementally.

Its quite Interesting to me how John Terry with is massive reputation in football , has been comfortable working with both managers and despite their contrasting styles both managers are said to get on well with each other too.

It is also interesting how both managers have a similar win ratio with us.

I also think the times they were with us was different, to be fair to both of them.

I look at what a great job Ron Saunders did in his day, but I also appreciate the job Vic Crowe did before him.

Ps my Really last post in this thread "Sne"

Nah, think there are still interesting discussions to be had here.

Thread wouldn't be the same without you. And while we are mostly going over old ground atm we are facing Newcastle again this season and I'm sure this thread will blow up again then.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Nah, think there are still interesting discussions to be had here.

Thread wouldn't be the same without you. And while we are mostly going over old ground atm we are facing Newcastle again this season and I'm sure this thread will blow up again then.

yeah....I guess every bow and arrow has to have a target.......If it was just a slagging off thread, with no one defending him, it would be boring, with everyone agreeing.

ok you have convinced me.😀

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

But it is OK to defend somebody who captained and managed them 🤔😉

I'm not defending him am I - I quite clearly wrote that the likes of Grealish/McGinn may well say the same things.

And yeah okay, fair one but then he did also manage us, as opposed to Kenny pissing Cunnngham.

14 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’d be more interested in hearing thoughts from people like Grealish, McGinn etc over Ritchie de laet.

Not to say they wouldn’t say the same things mind.

I think Jack would be a lot more complimentary. Bruce is the one who really got him in the groove in 2017/18 and on the way to being the player he is today.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Grealish loved him

I think Jack was just saying the right things about him being a great coach tbh.

However when he came back from his freak kidney injury (tin hat on) I think Bruce was a good manager to have.  He put his arm around him and told him to go and express himself. I don't think a strong disciplinarian would have had jack playing as well as quickly. So I'm sure Jack likes him for that and helping him get to a good level. Obviously Jack has done lots of hard work and maturing away from Bruce which is pushing him into the stratosphere.

• Like 2

Worth noting the likes of Jack and McGinn haven't played under that many managers in their career to date. De Laet was at Stoke under Pulis, somehow got a move to Man. United where he would've been in training sessiond at least under Fergie and was also at Leicester under Nigel Pearson and then Ranieri so quite a wide range of managers to compare match preparation to Steve Bruce.

I agree with @TheAuthority analysis of why Grealish would enjoy working under SB. Interesting in 10 years time when his career is coming to a close and how highly he rates him then as by then he'd have played under a few more managers at club and international level.

13 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I think Jack was just saying the right things about him being a great coach tbh.

However when he came back from his freak kidney injury (tin hat on) I think Bruce was a good manager to have.  He put his arm around him and told him to go and express himself. I don't think a strong disciplinarian would have had jack playing as well as quickly. So I'm sure Jack likes him for that and helping him get to a good level. Obviously Jack has done lots of hard work and maturing away from Bruce which is pushing him into the stratosphere.

I think Jack appreciated the dedicated work With ollie stevenson, that Steve assigned to him....he came back a different player, albeit Jack has always driven himself too as you have said.

I think your other observations have merit too.

At the same time...Jack has really flourished under Dean, both have played a significant part in Jacks career.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Worth noting the likes of Jack and McGinn haven't played under that many managers in their career to date. De Laet was at Stoke under Pulis, somehow got a move to Man. United where he would've been in training sessiond at least under Fergie and was also at Leicester under Nigel Pearson and then Ranieri so quite a wide range of managers to compare match preparation to Steve Bruce.

I agree with @TheAuthority analysis of why Grealish would enjoy working under SB. Interesting in 10 years time when his career is coming to a close and how highly he rates him then as by then he'd have played under a few more managers at club and international level.

I wouldn't put much value in what one player says about any manager, they have their own agenda and dress up a claim to suit that agenda.

it could be equally claimed, Jack Grealish played ok under Bruce, so DeLaets claims look irrelevant.

i uses to go out with one of our players regularly, who often moaned about Saunders.....obviously it fell on deaf ears with me.

Edited by TRO

Â