Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I may be in a minority here but I think Bruce has some managerial skill.

He is a good judge of player and knows how to set up a team to avoid getting beaten.

He made mistakes here especially in his last season and the style of football was poor but I think he will do well there.

He will get in some experienced players and they have some really good players.

His problem is the general direction of the club ,it reminds me of our relegation season when Lerner wanted to sell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

He is a good judge of player and knows how to set up a team to avoid getting beaten.

He made mistakes here especially in his last season and the style of football was poor but I think he will do well there.

His problem is the general direction of the club ,it reminds me of our relegation season when Lerner wanted to sell.

We all know he can set up a team but Premier League has moved on he last managed 2015 in top flight, these dinosaurs arent wanted anymore. You need to have more than pack your defence and rely on set pieces 

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We all know he can set up a team but Premier League has moved on he last managed 2015 in top flight, these dinosaurs arent wanted anymore. You need to have more than pack your defence and rely on set pieces 

I was going to say the same thing, he has been left behind even in Championship football, let alone PL.  It's going to be a very dark season for Newcastle imo.

23 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don't understand this at all.  His dream job comes up and he is being classless by having the nerve to accept it?  What?

Yeah but remember this is Bruce. 

Every single thing he does is bad, that’s how it works

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Not sure how you work that out, between them they got forty plus goals and assists for Newcastle last season, at the moment both would probably get into our team. I think Pérez is really underrated.

Really ? 30 million no thank you. I wound not want either of them tbh.

If you offer me Gayle instead - then yes for sure I would take him.

Football is all about opinions and yours is equally valid as mine.

its what makes our game great 👍🏻

Gayle hasn't ever done anything in the Premier league, there's a reason why Benitez was prepared to loan him out. £30m is a lot of money, but it's probably the going rate for a player of Pérez's ability, he'll probably do even better at Leicester, as they're a much better attacking team than Newcastle. if he was in our squad he'd get in the first eleven easily, ahead of Jota certainly, and probably ahead of El Ghazi.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Gayle hasn't ever done anything in the Premier league, there's a reason why Benitez was prepared to loan him out. £30m is a lot of money, but it's probably the going rate for a player of Pérez's ability, he'll probably do even better at Leicester, as they're a much better attacking team than Newcastle. if he was in our squad he'd get in the first eleven easily, ahead of Jota certainly, and probably ahead of El Ghazi.

I totally disagree - time only will tell if Perez is worth £30 - does he not average around 7 goals per season ?  Although I have no clue if he has been injured for any significant amount of time at Newcastle -   for now I would absolutely have Jota and El Ghazi over him easily.

Gayle is a bit of a tool in my view and maybe why Benitez did just so - but can easily hold his own up to mid table prem in my opinion.

Edited by Dave J

The potential appointment of Bruce shows no ambition and all but confirms Ashley has no intention of spending anymore money on the club. 

Bruce will make Newcastle tough to beat but with no attacking edge. 

I think they’ll be well in the ‘relegation dog fight’ (copyright SSN) all season. 

2 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Oh, the ambition.....

It’s the club he supported as a kid so there’s that appeal.

But in fairness, if Newcastle were a mid table league one side he wouldn’t go for it. The main reason is because they’re in the premier league, which is a more than adequate reason for a manager in a lower league to want to go. If he was a player you’d expect him to want to move up a level.

Whether this is actually a good move, I really don’t know. If it does go wrong, I can’t help but wonder whether a club with a similar stature of Sheffield Wednesday would come calling when his last three jobs ended up in a mixture of failure and jumping ship at the earliest possible moment. He’ll earn more so in that regard it’s good for him.

On a more personal level, I do wonder if he ever thinks about the song and dance he made about loyalty all those years ago.

It didn't need to be his dream job, he's never had an ounce of loyalty.

Left 2 months into the job at Wigan to take over at Palace, then quite them after 4 months. Which would be fine if he wasn't such a hypocrite complaining about a lack of loyalty when players have left his clubs. 

He's just a bit of a nob.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

I seriously do not understand how Ashley thinks this is a good deal. If Bruce wasn't employed I could maybe get it. But to pay compensation as well surely he would be better going for biesla?

Don't expect him to turn down that job, but it would have shown a bit of class and loyalty to have done so after being in the job 5 bloody minutes.

I look forward to the utter car crash this season will be and his post match interviews and blame game.

I am really going to enjoy it. The prick.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Don't expect him to turn down that job, but it would have shown a bit of class and loyalty to have done so after being in the job 5 bloody minutes.

I look forward to the utter car crash this season will be and his post match interviews and blame game.

I am really going to enjoy it. The prick.

Would have been nice to handle it a little better in the interview he gave today as well. The guy has always lacked class.

The worst bit was when it was down to the two clubs to find a compromise! I’d be livid if I were a Wednesday fan hearing that, they don’t need to compromise he signed that contract so if he wants to break it Newcastle need to pay what that costs.

• Like 2

No suprise Bruce took that job.  I get it’s his dream job and all that but let’s face it would have jumped ship at any better offer. 

Steve Bruce cares about Steve Bruce and nothing else.  

Be interesting to see his excuses next season.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I seriously do not understand how Ashley thinks this is a good deal. If Bruce wasn't employed I could maybe get it. But to pay compensation as well surely he would be better going for biesla?

Biesla seems like a man of principle and it’s not just about the money. I don’t think he would jump ship after he already committed to Leeds. 

Bruce on the other hand...

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Bruce remained out of the game until he was appointed manager of Wigan Athletic in April 2001.[113] The team reached the Second Division play-offs but lost in the semi-finals,[114] and Bruce almost immediately left the club, where he had been in charge for less than two months, to take over as manager of Crystal Palace.[115]

Although his new club began the 2001–02 season strongly, topping the First Division table and looking well placed for regaining the Premier League place that the club had last held in the 1997–98 season,[116] Bruce tendered his resignation less than three months into the season in order to return to Birmingham City as manager.

Yet gets sacked by Sunderland and holds a grudge for best part of a decade.

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It didn't need to be his dream job, he's never had an ounce of loyalty.

Left 2 months into the job at Wigan to take over at Palace, then quite them after 4 months. Which would be fine if he wasn't such a hypocrite complaining about a lack of loyalty when players have left his clubs. 

He's just a bit of a nob.

I’m not sure I can think of a manager who has rejected a bigger club when they’ve come in for them. Could be wrong though. 

• Like 1

To be honest it's hard to remember one failing in his previous job getting 3 months in his new job and then being poached like this

The year Bruce has had must be pretty unprecedented 

Its still nothing on us appointing ginger bollocks though 

• Like 1

Â