Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

30 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Scouting Cahill accordingly to the rumours. A complete waste of Bruce’s time though because I will be amazed if he is still our manager in January.

Would be typical of Bruce to go scout a player with a Champions League, 1 Premier League titles and over 50 England caps as if he was an unknown

He would then play him as a right back

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Partly, but not wholly.

I think it was meant as " stop conceding in the last 10 minutes and stop surrendering a lead with ease, stop yielding the initiative....but the knock on effect was draws and losses.

I think he did....BUT as opposed to improving the defenders....He just defended in numbers, thus rendering the attack under deployed.

I agree completely that’s what happened.  I just wasn’t clear why so many credited him with stopping the rot, when the only clear action I saw him take (other than using resources to change a bunch of names on the roster that many still think aren’t good enough.).... was, he dropped more players into defensive roles.  I’m  still open to hearing more, but if what he DID was pack the defense to reduce goals against, it’s hardly a strategic stroke of genius that required vast experience to figure it out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sne said:

Relegation and millions of pounds did that.

He turned draws under RDM into wins and losses.

We lost almost as many as we won during his first season. He lost 13 and won 15. 

Interesting you don’t mention his “second” season, which was in fact his first full season. Wonder what the win and loss stats were for 2017-8 and if we got anywhere near the playoffs?

Edited by briny_ear

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Would be typical of Bruce to go scout a player with a Champions League, 1 Premier League titles and over 50 England caps as if he was an unknown

He would then play him as a right back

That’s true. Does he really need to watch Cahill to know if he is any good? 

I think he just fancied an evening out to watch a game. Maybe he was checking if the England setup have any jobs going. 

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Interesting you don’t mention his “second” season, which was in fact his first full season. Wonder what the win and loss stats were for 2017-8 and if we got anywhere near the playoffs?

Interesting or not. It was in the context of stopping the rot as I'm sure you read.

And if only full seasons count how do you rate RDM? 

By all means Bruce's "second" season was a massive improvement on his "first" one. Doubt anyone disagrees about that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Erick Black, Roberto Di Matteo, Paul Lambert, Remi Garde, Tim Sherwood, Alex McLeish, Gerard Houllier.

Basically everyone since MON. Which is hardly a compliment.

I think only Houllier could really be argued as better. But even that is a stretch.

For me, Houllier was the worst. He was the one who took what was still basically a top 6 squad and steered us towards the relegation zone. 

Then spunked all the James Milner money on an emergency purchase of Darren Bent to save his skin.

We never really recovered from that season.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Saying that Lambert who kept us in the PL on a championship budget under Lerner is a worse manager than Bruce who keeps us in the championship on a PL budget, well that's quite frankly bonkers. Have a word. 

Had a word, turns out I still think the same, how strange. 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The conversation was about "stopping the rot" which I imagine would have happened in his first season.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

For me, Houllier was the worst. He was the one who took what was still basically a top 6 squad and steered us towards the relegation zone. 

This. Tried to completely change a very good side overnight that just needed tweaking. Awful appointment in every way.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s true. Does he really need to watch Cahill to know if he is any good? 

I think he just fancied an evening out to watch a game. Maybe he was checking if the England setup have any jobs going. 

At first I thought the same thing, but it would be negligent not to check him out to see if he's lost a step among other things. Signing players based on previous glories has cost us recently...Richards, Lescott, McCormack to name a few.

5 hours ago, Hornso said:

At first I thought the same thing, but it would be negligent not to check him out to see if he's lost a step among other things. Signing players based on previous glories has cost us recently...Richards, Lescott, McCormack to name a few.

Fair points. I think Cahill is out of our league anyway. Could still perform for a lot of Premier league clubs. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Not arguing with you, but you didn’t answer my question.   What does “stop the rot” mean? And what specific decisions or actions did he take to do that

He didnt take any actions to do that, he just inherited a better squad than the oppsition. I dont think he has done anything particular or special that any other couldnt have done. I my view he is partly responsible for the economic situation we are/were in. Are we any better off now compared to when Bruce took over?

Edited by Taxahunter
  • Like 2

RDM was ruined by Elphick and Gollini, for me mostly Elphick which I find hilarious people sad he's gone. I actually think we'd be better off had we stuck with RDM that said I thought he was pretty uninspiring appointment at the time. All hypothetical obviously

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Hornso said:

Richards signing and giving Bacuna 6 year extension some of the dumbest moves the club has made for me. Lescott seemed ok at the time before obvious he'd given up on football

46 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Richards signing and giving Bacuna 6 year extension some of the dumbest moves the club has made for me. Lescott seemed ok at the time before obvious he'd given up on football

To be fair to Lescott, he did have a car dealership to run. 

• Haha 2

Â