Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The fact that we're already 'up there', as opposed to last season where we were always playing catchup should not be overlooked either, irrespective of the strength of the opposition to date (as we know from last season, we tend to raise our game against better opposition anyway).

This is it for me.

We've not hit our groove yet, and there are definite issues.

Defence needs to settle. Either with a new addition or the people playing there need to step up their game.
And attacking wise we need to start creating more clear cut chances.

But arguably going forward we're better than we were last season if El Ghazi and Bolasie deliver and McGinn carries on his form.

And like you say last season we started way worse than this and look how close we came.

There are some big ifs in there. The defence for me is the main part. If we don't sort that out then we'll blow our chance imo. If we do sort it then I think, in the words of Bruce, we'll be there or thereabouts

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't really share the doom and gloom of a lot of people on here, despite sharing the view that a better manager would get more out of this team.

We are not in any doom and gloom mate, It's all that Steve Bruce refers to in nearly every press conference that he does. 

You damn right though about a better manager getting more of out this team.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On a lighter note, I love this bloke.

Apologies if you've all seen him before.

His Bruce is brilliant haha.

Yeah, rate this as quite funny too.

Would be good to see an updated one from him regarding the 'Doom & Gloom' and players out of position, no CEO etc.

Edit:  The Jack Grealish one is also funny.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There are some big ifs in there. The defence for me is the main part. If we don't sort that out then we'll blow our chance imo. If we do sort it then I think, in the words of Bruce, we'll be there or thereabouts

Is "there or thereabouts" really good enough though? With the resources Bruce has been given (again!), we simply need to be THERE, not thereabouts.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not even having Centre Backs as Centre backs?

Not when the centre backs are Elphick and Axel. Although you’d think it would be worth a try as Jedinak playing there clearly isn’t working. 

Bruce wants that pay out but can’t be too blatant about it ;)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Is "there or thereabouts" really good enough though? With the resources Bruce has been given (again!), we simply need to be THERE, not thereabouts.

Forest have spent £60m odd in the summer (I think). 

Thats pretty much 3 times what SB has spent in his entire time here on fees. 

But yeah, let's keep harking back to a perceived blank chequebook that doesnt exist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But yeah, let's keep harking back to a perceived blank chequebook that doesnt exist. 

Once again, was he not allowed to use the players already at the club? Many of whom have been integral parts during the last 2 years.

We have also spent more on wages on on loan and short contract players during this time than many Championship teams spend on their entire squads.

Resources is more than just money spent on transfer fees.

But we all already know this.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Poor Steve, we’ve mistreated him so badly. Maybe we should just let him go rather than continue to abuse him as we have.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Nope. Not really. Like I said a better manager could get more out of this team. 

But my post wasn’t a comment on whether Bruce should or shouldn’t be here. It was just my personal outlook for the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Actually they've spent around £27m in 2018 (according to transfermarkt), and I'm sure they too are expecting big things this year, but let's not kid ourselves... they are nowhere near our resources either way. 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'd be far more concerned if we were playing shit but we're not, we're playing pretty well, once the new guys bed in and the season starts taking shape I think we'll be fine.

The fact that we're already 'up there', as opposed to last season where we were always playing catchup should not be overlooked either, irrespective of the strength of the opposition to date (as we know from last season, we tend to raise our game against better opposition anyway).

Echo the part of bedding in new players and maybe he's got more to come in yet. For me this will give him until round about November time and if he's not delivering i think thats the time to pull the trigger.

As for the playing catch up bit though, we DID catch up, got to 2nd place and we blew it !!!!

49 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Actually they've spent around £27m in 2018 (according to transfermarkt), and I'm sure they too are expecting big things this year, but let's not kid ourselves... they are nowhere near our resources either way. 

Okay, well someone spent £60m odd.

And £27m is still significantly more than we spent.

Either way, this notion that promotion should be a given because of our resources is pretty hollow when you consider the spending and resources of others too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He has had a 2 - 3 season headstart.

Good to see that we have our excuses in early though.

Cue: "The likes of Nottingham Forest have spent 60 million and we can't compete, I've not had millions to spend you know"

Are you now trying to imply that the likes of Forest have had a better squad than us?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

I think the consensus is that he never had any to begin with. He's a nice lad, good man manager, good in the transfer market but tactics are not his forté.

You mean to tell me that between Clemence, Calderwood and Agnew we're at a loss where tactics are concerned ? What on earth are their roles ?

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This is it for me.

We've not hit our groove yet, and there are definite issues.

Defence needs to settle. Either with a new addition or the people playing there need to step up their game.
And attacking wise we need to start creating more clear cut chances.

But arguably going forward we're better than we were last season if El Ghazi and Bolasie deliver and McGinn carries on his form.

And like you say last season we started way worse than this and look how close we came.

We had to go on a 7 win run to get within touching distance, it wasn't sustained form that got us there...but on the whole I agree.

I'm relieved we started relatively well this season. Though that last minute drop of points against Reading really hurt.  11 points from 5 would have been great before a tricky game at United.

31 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Either way, this notion that promotion should be a given because of our resources is pretty hollow when you consider the spending and resources of others too.

Resources aren't just transfer fees obviously. There aren't many, if any, teams in this league with the resources to bring players like Bolasie, or El Ghazi on loan...or last season when we brought in Johnstone, Snodgrass, Onomah and Terry on a free reportedly on around 70k p/w.

When you consider this on top of the transfers we do make, it blows the other teams out of the water.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He has had a 2 - 3 season headstart.

Good to see that we have our excuses in early though.

Cue: "The likes of Nottingham Forest have spent 60 million and we can't compete, I've not had millions to spend you know"

Are you now trying to imply that the likes of Forest have had a better squad than us?

Won’t need excuses come the end of the season, we will be challenging the top 2 all the way, all the doom and gloomers are going to be doom and gloomers the whole season regardless of performance or points. 

Its so so tiresome but hey if you guys want to moan about everything Bruce does then crack on, maybe start your own thread maybe call it “The I hate Steve” thread, I hope the rest of us can get over it and support the team and the manager. 

Sorry just venting as I’m so tired of hearing how apparently those that don’t want Bruce sacked are somehow “brinners” and he can do no wrong, well no that’s not true, he has lots of flaws but so does every manager, and he’s spent blah blah, who cares how much he has or hasn’t spent, just support the bloody team wether it cost a fiver or 500 million. Jesus wept it’s so depressing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I've never said that, and I'm not really interested in what others have spent. We have the third highest market value of squads in the championship. With that in mind, I'm saying there can be no other expectation than automatic promotion, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Its so so tiresome but hey if you guys want to moan about everything Bruce does then crack on, maybe start your own thread maybe call it “The I hate Steve” thread, I hope the rest of us can get over it and support the team and the manager. 

Sorry just venting as I’m so tired of hearing how apparently those that don’t want Bruce sacked are somehow “brinners” and he can do no wrong, well no that’s not true, he has lots of flaws but so does every manager, and he’s spent blah blah, who cares how much he has or hasn’t spent, just support the bloody team wether it cost a fiver or 500 million. Jesus wept it’s so depressing.

Equally tiresome to hear I "hate" Steve Bruce just because I don't see him as the manager to take us where we want to be

• Like 1

Â