Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Reading got 2 points for that draw then?

Leeds put away their chances - that's all that matters - but don't go moaning about us not being on the front foot, when we played on the front foot all the time.  I'd guess you weren't watching, saw the Leeds score and thought "oh ****, we've been so shit".  Classic VT.

I looked at a table and thought it was already up dated, ok 2 points for Reading, they must be twice as good as I thought!

Perhaps we were on the front foot, I didn’t see the game so perhaps I was commenting out of frustration. However if we were on the front foot we weren’t particularly effective and with our defence that is always extremely risky. If it was a one off that would be fine, but after a confidence boost on Wednesday, how many of us were convinced we had truly turned a corner?

Same old, same old. Not surprised - was half expecting it.

What does surprise me is how many still support Bruce. Can anyone really be in any way confident that he can get us promoted?

It is just the same as we have had since he has been here. It looks like being another season where we neither get promoted nor build for the future.

Not happy.

4 minutes ago, Dick said:

Yep, he is to blame for our defence. The man who played 3 at the back all pre season and then changed it completely for the season. Beyond weird. This man is supposed to be an experienced manager!

I can only guess that this is somewhat down to our situation at the time. Quite literally 1 month ago we couldn't sign anyone if we wanted to, looked like we could well be going completely bust and everyone was for sale so he was trying to get a team out of the available squad which has since changed quite a bit.

Just me who thought we weren’t “comfortable” until the penalty then? Reading had several near misses that we were lucky to get away with.

We were the better team overall, we should have been out of sight, but the notion that we were comfortable until the penalty is wrong.

It wasn’t good enough, it’s not Bruce’s fault for individual mistakes, but he will prove to be the one answerable should it continue to cost us.

Three winless games now, it soon adds up...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Hutton has been playing well at left-back for **** ages - to describe him as a right-back is now is laughable.  Tuanzebe is a player who can, apparently, play RB, CB or DM - out of position?

Jedinak, yes, although he's played there before and been fine.

"Real life loife".  Gd 1 m8.

Alan Hutton - Right back (223 games), Left back (26 games) Right midfield (4 games)
Tuanzebe - Centre back (39 games), Right back (11 games), Defensive midfield (3 games), Left back (1 game)
Jedinak - Defensive midfield (120 games), Centre midfield (100 games), Centre back (11 games)

These players have clearly played the majority of their games in positions they aren't playing in now. They are being played out of position, it's that simple.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Don't mention Brentford playing attacking football man - they lost against terrible newly promoted Blackburn and didn't score don't you know.

We've been absolutely fine in both against Brentford and Reading and should've won both matches.  It's concerning that we haven't done this, but I'd much rather progress down this route than the approach we had before (which garnered more points).

The way we play reminds me of the days when Paul Lambert decided he wanted to emulate Guardiola. 

We should be fine as I think with our players it's enough for this league, but we've disconcertingly dropped 6 points in the last 3 games from winning positions. We're now 4 points off the top 2 after 5 games. Not the end of the world, but still concerning.

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I looked at a table and thought it was already up dated, ok 2 points for Reading, they must be twice as good as I thought!

Perhaps we were on the front foot, I didn’t see the game so perhaps I was commenting out of frustration. However if we were on the front foot we weren’t particularly effective and with our defence that is always extremely risky. If it was a one off that would be fine, but after a confidence boost on Wednesday, how many of us were convinced we had truly turned a corner?

I don't know how much of a confidence boost Wednesday was - it was almost exactly the same as today.  We were the better side by far, but didn't win and the opposition had the more clear cut chances.

I''d rather watch us take it to teams as we have done, though.  It's more enjoyable.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Just me who thought we weren’t “comfortable” until the penalty then? Reading had several near misses that we were lucky to get away with.

We were the better team overall, we should have been out of sight, but the notion that we were comfortable until the penalty is wrong.

It wasn’t good enough, it’s not Bruce’s fault for individual mistakes, but he will prove to be the one answerable should it continue to cost us.

Three winless games now, it soon adds up...

We were comfortable for 80 minutes, but Reading had the better of the last 10.  Even then, aside from their glaring miss, I don't remember thinking they'd score - they just attacked a lot.

I think Bruce will be replaced around Christmas time tbh.

2 minutes ago, CraigyAVFC1987 said:

Does anybody else reckon when the new owners sat down with Bruce they gave him until this upcoming international break to show what he can do because it would certainly be a good time for change as were already starting to drop silly points under him again .

Not in as many words. I do however, and I'm basing this on absolutely no logic, get the impression they don't suffer fools lightly and are ruthless. Just a hunch though.

From Dick in match thread 

“I know Bruce will be defended as it is "the mistake of the player", but the manager is in control of the TEAM, so if we are in the position where we lose a game to a mistake, it's down to the manager not getting the best out of what we have.

A draw at home to Reading is a disgrace.”

you are right.  Folks will not blame Bruce.  He’s Teflon.   On the other hand RDM was blamed for late player errors many times. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Alan Hutton - Right back (223 games), Left back (26 games) Right midfield (4 games)
Tuanzebe - Centre back (39 games), Right back (11 games), Defensive midfield (3 games), Left back (1 game)
Jedinak - Defensive midfield (120 games), Centre midfield (100 games), Centre back (11 games)

These players have clearly played the majority of their games in positions they aren't playing in now. They are being played out of position, it's that simple.

Where have you got these figures from?  I mean, Tuanzebe has played over 50 career games?!

I've generally been quiet on the Bruce front as I know a lot of it is endless bickering going round in circles, but I'm getting to the point where I just want someone new.  In the last couple of seasons it seems like we always need more signings, then a few more signings, then a couple more.  There doesn't seem much improving of players we already have, but I look at Leeds with envy and see Bielsa has implemented his style almost instantly in a new country in a division where you wouldn't think it would work.  Yes we were unlucky that a defensive error cost us right at the end, but we've also rescued ourselves with late goals twice this season, so it works both ways.  

We still look short in defence and up front.  I really don't understand why we signed Tuanzebe if he doesn't trust him to play centre half.  We are desperately short there and we've shipped too many goals already.

• Like 1

Just now, srsmithusa said:

From Dick in match thread 

“I know Bruce will be defended as it is "the mistake of the player", but the manager is in control of the TEAM, so if we are in the position where we lose a game to a mistake, it's down to the manager not getting the best out of what we have.

A draw at home to Reading is a disgrace.”

you are right.  Folks will not blame Bruce.  He’s Teflon.   On the other hand RDM was blamed for late player errors many times. 

Pretty much everyone is blaming Bruce.  "Teflon", lol.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

We were comfortable for 80 minutes, but Reading had the better of the last 10.  Even then, aside from their glaring miss, I don't remember thinking they'd score - they just attacked a lot.

I think Bruce will be replaced around Christmas time tbh.

Reading nearly scored twice in the first half, one a mistake by us, rescued by Thor, another goal mouth scramble just before half time.

They had another scramble in the second half which somehow stayed out. We looked nervy for a lot of their attacks.

But yeah, I won’t be surprised to see Bruce gone unless he turns it around.

4 minutes ago, CraigyAVFC1987 said:

Does anybody else reckon when the new owners sat down with Bruce they gave him until this upcoming international break to show what he can do because it would certainly be a good time for change as were already starting to drop silly points under him again .

Doubt it but the next week is as good a time as any to get someone in with two weeks training to remind them all how to play football.

Be great to be proactive club and bin him off after the Sheff U game. Our Adkins -> Pochettino moment.

5 easy games in and he's already below par. Next up sheff United away who have won 3 in a row. When do we, with our big budget, ever get to win 3,4,5 in a row? Never happening with boring mediocre

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

Reading nearly scored twice in the first half, one a mistake by us, rescued by Thor, another goal mouth scramble just before half time.

They had another scramble in the second half which somehow stayed out. We looked nervy for a lot of their attacks.

But yeah, I won’t be surprised to see Bruce gone unless he turns it around.

Ah, I missed around half time as the stream kept getting messed up.

This is our biggest problem, for me - we don't seem to contain attacks that well.  Teams will always get a chance against us and it will seemingly always be a really good chance.

Just now, Rodders said:

5 easy games in and he's already below par. Next up sheff United away who have won 3 in a row. When do we, with our big budget, ever get to win 3,4,5 in a row? Never happening with boring mediocre

But...but don't you remember Wolves, don't you remember Bristol City?! These isolated matches prove it's the players that aren't good enough.

?

Â