Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

If was a new owner, and I was trying to decide if I wish to extend Bruc’s contract.  I would absolutely say “we want to play on the front foot, move the ball about on the ground, let other teams tire themselves chasing the ball and us while we play higher percentage shorter, possession, but still attacking, passes.  We want a system where a player and his mates all know where his first touch is going before the ball arrives.  Quicker thinking, quicker acting.  More attack.  Less cautious approach than we’ve seen overall recently.”  Then, because I’m a good human being, I would say “do you think you can provide that with these players, and with a few small, inexpensive additions to the roster?”  

In other words, as the “new owner”. The context you gave, damn right I would tell the manager how I wanted him to play”.  After that it would be up to him to deliver that or get the boot.   

I agree with this. I would be very surprised if the new owners did not discuss the way forward and what they envisaged with Bruce before deciding to keep him.

They would surely have wanted some confirmation from him that he could get on board with their plans.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

I would be very surprised if the new owners did not discuss the way forward and what they envisaged with Bruce before deciding to keep him.

They would surely have wanted some confirmation from him that he could get on board with their plans.

That's fair - "we want to develop young players, have them have resale value when the time comes, recruit players with real ability and promise, rather than expensive ready made options, we want top quality coaching and winning entertaining football that excites the fans (and us) and in return we'll provide resources, support....etc." is kind of what you'd expect (as an example). "we want you to play 4-3-3, with a gung-ho approach and two touch football" is not. I guess that's where the line lies.

• Like 2

So, to make those that think I’m too critical happy.... I really don’t agree with the recent frequent criticism that he plays players out of position   With a few obvious exceptions, most players are decent athletes with some ball skills.  Where they are played should be determined more by their ability to fit the role needed.  It’s in the strategy and plan being used.  Management at upper levels (trust me on this) involves knowing the strengths and preferences of your players; The weaknesses of your opponent; the style you want to play; the tactics and strategies you want; the referee; even the air pressure in tha ball;   And getting them aligned in your favor.  

Jedi is fine at CB if you wanted to stop Davis, crouch, or Falaini (who has been played at forward -out of position - by SAF- when the occasion called for it)   But Jedi should not asked or expected to stop RHM, Mane, Sterling, Vardy. 

In Iceland’s system Thor is solid left in a middle 4.   Out wide in our system with our team, he gets lost.  

Football can be a simple game, but it can also be oversimplified.  it can also hinge on very complex interplay between many factors.  Players “in position” is only one and can be nullified by others.  

The only thing holding this club back is the manager.

Another completely woeful performance.

Trying to hang on at home for the 1 - 0 against Reading.

Pathetic but i assume he will get another free pass.

Let the excuses roll in.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

Just now, AshVilla said:

The only thing holding this club back is the manager.

Another completely woeful performance.

Having to hang on at home for the 1 - 0 against Reading.

Pathetic but i assume he will get another free pass.

Let the excuses roll in.

It wasn't woeful at all?

Were you watching?

3 points from a should be 9 against the likes of Ipswich and reading, 3 poor teams and can’t even beat them

Said after the Brentford game that equaliser people had rose tinted glasses on over 1 performance 

Get out bruce 

Edited by rbcuk

Â