Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s good to hear that Tuanzebe is versatile and that SB is considering him at CB. I’ve also read that our new winger can also play at left back and right across the defence. (Although he doesn’t look much like a CB to me.) These are all important options, but if we don’t get at least one more CB we’re only one injury to Chester away from a defensive crisis. To not strength central defence would be at best optimistic and at worst neglect. We got away with it last year and now we have one very important CB less. 

What's wrong with the young prodigy we got from Bury, surely he's better than Jedinak ? I know we brought him with an eye to the future, but for some players it's like a duck to water. 

I remember Gordon Cowan's making his debut at 17/ 18, it was like hand in glove.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I thought it was a visible improvement in movement and flow.   One I felt confident our players were capable of performing (last year, too).  

To me, the next steps are to do more of the same in their half. Limit decision making errors in our half.  Keep working the wings like we did vs Brentford.  Then when teams finally stop clogging the middle from 15-25 yards out (because the bodies are needed wide to stop the cross or deep to stop the open header) we start hitting jack, McGinn and Connor in the middle to finish from a bit more range.   We could be on the verge of becoming deadly.  (My complaint is that we could have been doing this months ago).  

I don't know.....but Kodjia wasn't playing like this months ago....we didn't have McGinn months ago.

It all has a knock on effect.....Even Whelan is keeping possession compared with months ago.

I knows is murder, but......patience.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

What's wrong with the young prodigy we got from Bury, surely he's better than Jedinak ? I know we brought him with an eye to the future, but for some players it's like a duck to water. 

I remember Gordon Cowan's making his debut at 17/ 18, it was like hand in glove.

I remember it too....I remember Gary Shaw at 17 coming on.

They had a more established team to come in to then,sheepy.

Edited by TRO

Smithy is right. Have we suddenly started to click ? Was McGinn the catalyst ? I hope it's a yes to both of those questions, because if so, with the players we now have, I can only see an upward trajectory. We have to caution against caution, it's imperative we use that momentum and impose ourselves. All good teams have that presence about them, they win more than they lose and we have to become that kind of side, play like the lions we should be.

UTV.

• Like 4

We need to continue this improvement tomorrow.  No QPR post Wolves performance.  Take it to Reading and give them a hiding and show what we can do.  There's a bit of pressure on places now.  Another few days of understanding at the back so hopefully defence will be improved but we should be putting down our marker on the league.  We've had a nice softish start and need to take advantage of that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I posted a few days ago, maybe a week ago, that our play is far to often two three touch football and then pass it to someone marked, but to be fair on Wednesday there was much more movement and much more one or fast two-touch play and it was a big improvement. triangles and everything. It shows the players are good enough, without doubt.

Maybe the same sort of criticism has been raised by the coaching staff and they've been working on it with the players?

Yup.

I watched the game again today and while encouraging, there's still work to be done. Brentford were streets ahead of us in that department. Their passing and moving and triangles were cutting open our defence and creating goal scoring opportunities.

We looked good until the final ball which was usually a hopeful floated cross by Elmo or Albert. I hope the coaches are working on better strategies than "cross the ball into box for our 1 striker, every time". 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rubberman said:

We need to continue this improvement tomorrow.  No QPR post Wolves performance.  Take it to Reading and give them a hiding and show what we can do.  There's a bit of pressure on places now.  Another few days of understanding at the back so hopefully defence will be improved but we should be putting down our marker on the league.  We've had a nice softish start and need to take advantage of that.

Yeah, I'd hate for us to think that 2-2 at home against Brentford. Job done!

Let's go down to the pub boys, Micah is buying, and McGatemack has a tab.

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Smithy is right. Have we suddenly started to click ? Was McGinn the catalyst ? I hope it's a yes to both of those questions, because if so, with the players we now have, I can only see an upward trajectory. We have to caution against caution, it's imperative we use that momentum and impose ourselves. All good teams have that presence about them, they win more than they lose and we have to become that kind of side, play like the lions we should be.

UTV.

Sheepyvillian is right about Smithy being right.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sheepyvillian is right about Smithy being right.

AvecRigo82 is right about Sheepyvillian being right about Smithy being right.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dounavilla said:

AvecRigo82 is right about Sheepyvillian being right about Smithy being right.

"Reverend !!"

images (1).jpeg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

UTV.

Not to do a Bruce in, Bruce out blah blah boring post, but this is why I didn’t quite get the “he missed promotion, he has to go.” We seem to be on a positive trend over a couple of years now. It’s not as fast as we would have liked but I still think we can match any team in this league and go for promotion this season. We have kept our star player and added new potential. Still missing a couple of spots but still on an upward trend. 

Maybe Bruce didn’t feel we could manage to play this way at the start of last season. Maybe he was wrong, maybe right. Maybe we needed Player X or Player Y. But we are not in a bad place... let’s just keep improving. 

Agreed that handing out a couple of beatings at this point could be great for the season’s momentum and the feel good!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Not to do a Bruce in, Bruce out blah blah boring post, but this is why I didn’t quite get the “he missed promotion, he has to go.” We seem to be on a positive trend over a couple of years now. It’s not as fast as we would have liked but I still think we can match any team in this league and go for promotion this season. We have kept our star player and added new potential. Still missing a couple of spots but still on an upward trend. 

Maybe Bruce didn’t feel we could manage to play this way at the start of last season. Maybe he was wrong, maybe right. Maybe we needed Player X or Player Y. But we are not in a bad place... let’s just keep improving. 

Agreed that handing out a couple of beatings at this point could be great for the season’s momentum and the feel good!

I don't think I need to say anything because I think you took the words out of my mouth and couldn't of said it better in anyway.

Last season I was very surprised where we ended up, still am in a way. Steve came in and changed many things around villa and in my eyes for the better. We are on a role and do hope it continues, last game certainly showed on what we was capable of, and hope this is the signs of things to come. We dismantled a team for over 70 minutes, other people thought we were going to be destroyed by brentford. Instead we showed Brentford what villa can achieve, sure the outcome wasn't what we hoped because we were unlucky and no red card was issued, but it's clearly there.

Some people think the championship is a place of teams we should be killing regularly, but it's been proven time and time again that the championship is a league that is not only tough to get out of, but has well oiled/drilled teams that have been doing this for years on the end, that do know what they are doing.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

Â