Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think there are many factors that are not right at present....and its clear we are relying on moments of individual brilliance.

Lets me just mention 1 issue amongst many.

The No 9 

I am surprised that we have failed as a club to remedy this crucial position.....I think it is having such a massive impact on many aspects of our play and is causing a knock on affect to so many other players.

We signed Grabban last January and at the time I thought it was a good signing, having watched him at Sunderland.....On reflection having seen him at close quarters, he didn't lead the line, like the player, we need.

He was another striker that is easily knocked off the ball and resembles and inside forward like Kodjia as opposed to a target man.

I would hate to be a winger in this team, Imagine Morley having to FIND one of them.

Its creating a massive imbalance to our play.....We only have to look at Mitrovic's influence on Fulham last season.

I am honestly Surprised that SB  has not had more success with this weakness in out team.

Blimey both promoted teams last season seen it.....Warnock signs Madine and Jokanovic signs Mitrovic.

It really isn't rocket science.

Its like trying to operate without a wicket keeper.......its doesn't matter how you rearrange things.....the weakness persists.

Good post. Agree with your points but you can't compare cricket to a real sport such as football.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think there are many factors that are not right at present....and its clear we are relying on moments of individual brilliance.

Do you say this as if it's not always been the case, whilst Bruce has been in charge?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Exactly my point.

I thought when we went down, such was the disaster area .....this will be a long job.

I think we have rushed at it.....that is not a criticism, its an observation.

I can see arguments on both sides like you say.

What I would say, is how the Character of the player is so crucial......timid players or shrinking Violets, will respond the way you describe....it consumes them.

players like Andy Gray(19) the stadium wasn't big enough, he had the appetite for the colosseum.....much Like McGinn( 23)

We want them type of players.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Have thought for a while that we really don't seem to do any character analysis or diligence when buying players.

This is also one of the limitations to using Statistics to find players. Needs an experienced Manager to make that assessment of a player's character strength.

48 minutes ago, KHV said:

Interesting from the heat maps how little time Kodjia and RHM spend through the middle

A lot of this might be explained by a greater propensity for players to approach goal at an angle so as to hit opposite corner. Angles make it easier to step inside and get a shot off. 

You also have he option to go down the by line and cross. Ashley Young was one of the early adopters of this. 

Running down the middle you have to get between 2 centre halves. 

I've just read Dean Smith's pre Villa match interview and it's a breath of fresh air after the rubbish that SB trots out before and after matches.

The philosophy and every player's involvement within it is exciting, and the reference to competitive training is just as it should be.

A team that trains competitively to win, only ever plays on match day to win, and never even thinks of going out not to lose!

Why does Bruce have to be so stubborn and determined to play yesterday's football over and over again? It's like groundhog day!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've just read Dean Smith's pre Villa match interview and it's a breath of fresh air after the rubbish that SB trots out before and after matches.

The philosophy and every player's involvement within it is exciting, and the reference to competitive training is just as it should be.

A team that trains competitively to win, only ever plays on match day to win, and never even thinks of going out not to lose!

Why does Bruce have to be so stubborn and determined to play yesterday's football over and over again? It's like groundhog day!

Well they finished 6 points of play offs so maybe if they set up not to lose a few times they'd have got there. 

15 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Well they finished 6 points of play offs so maybe if they set up not to lose a few times they'd have got there. 

Yeah, but tbf he didn't have millions to spend.

Although its the Steve Bruce thread... Brentford finished 6 points off the playoffs as they lost a lot of their best players and rebuilt the team, that took 8-9 games at which point there we calls for Dean Smith's head. From there on they had a brilliant season with playoff form and were left to rue the bad start.

This season, again they have lost a few players but crucially have made a better start as their attacking players are on form and are now settled in the Championship. Maupay had his first season in the Championship and Watkins stepped up from Exeter. Look at them now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Cue the "That's a load of bollox we were 90 minutes off playoffs and Brentford finished mid table"

• Haha 1

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to watch us play Brentford off the Park tomorrow.

At least thars something we can ALL agree on..............can’t we ?

Honestly, I am all Dean Smithed out. What a fuss over nothing.

Â