Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, av1 said:

If i was calling the shots he would have been sacked months ago. But to answer your question, yes. 

I can see the point in the former bit, but to sack him now would be a massive risk to take imo all things considered. who would you bring in that you believe we could attract?

Not a fan and I think he will be sacked this season as I don't believe he will reach our targets. but first and foremost we need to bring in staffing at the club (CEO, DOF) and see results start to shift. we are unbeaten so far even if it hasn't looked convincing. getting a new manager isn't a guarantee of results or a new approach if chosen poorly, which is why I personally hope we will be prudent here.

29 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Thanks, I don't particularly like Villa Facebook groups. But as if VillaTalk is any different. If anything I suggest that these platforms give a voice to those wishing to air their grievances, which doesn't widely reflect the feelings of the fan base as a whole. I would have guessed at 75% in support for Bruce too, because at games there is plenty of support for him. 

Nothing wrong with not supporting Bruce by the way, I just do sometimes wonder when I read opinions on VT and other places whether I am reading a majority view. 

I think it would be fair to say that a lot of the fan base are not in love with Bruce's style of play or at least how we've been playing at the start of this season, however it doesn't seem a particularly prudent time to change manager based on this factor alone. I would imagine with a few poor results the 75% support in that poll would slip dramatically. 

I think it's easy to say things like 'We accept mediocracy, I demand better'. But we've got to be pragmatic as a club in what is torturously another 'transition' stage in the club's history. Instant success would be lovely, but we don't seem to have the recipe or ingredients for that. This fabled 'Villa way' hasn't materialised. It's up to our new owners to decide what the 'Villa way' is first whilst also whilst traversing the FFP obstacles. 

I don't think they're quite ready to make that change, but I don't doubt that they'll be thinking about it in the medium-longer term. 

VillaTalk is different.

From my experience it's almost always a more negative outlook than the wider fanbase.

I don't have any stats or evidence to back that up. Just a general feeling of how opinions seem outside of VillaTalk compared to inside VillaTalk.

That doesn't mean VT is wrong by the way. Just less optimistic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I can see the point in the former bit, but to sack him now would be a massive risk to take imo all things considered. who would you bring in that you believe we could attract?

Mate I've no idea. I don't work within football so I've no idea who may or may not be attainable, but I'm sure the guys advising the owners (because there must be someone in the background) must be able to find an improvement in Bruce. 

5 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Not a fan and I think he will be sacked this season as I don't believe he will reach our targets. but first and foremost we need to bring in staffing at the club (CEO, DOF) and see results start to shift. we are unbeaten so far even if it hasn't looked convincing. getting a new manager isn't a guarantee of results or a new approach if chosen poorly, which is why I personally hope we will be prudent here.

Regarding the CEO, DOF, i agree, but as i said above, whilst not on the chair yet i believe they must already be someone in the background advising the new owners. 

Now you think he will be sacked this season? So whats the point waiting? You see i never got this worry about sacking him a week before the season when Henry was linked. If you think you've got the wrong guy, surely it's best to get rid asp rather than Oct/Nov? 

We currently have 3 of the back 4 playing out of position, the only thing trying desperately to hold it together is one of the former managers signings. I really don't care if we promote Delaney for a few games untill a suitable replacement is found, at least he might play guys in their actual positions. 

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

Do you have the exact wording of the poll and when it was done?   

For it to be 75% in favour, it can only be:

'Would you be in favour of keeping Steve Bruce if he was to let you do his daughter up the wrongun in exchange?'

the point of waiting is to have some new structure in the club in place and a list of attainable and good managerial candidates on the board. especially while Bruce is still getting results.

from various arguments i've seen on facebook and twitter its mainly based on the summer we had, you cant sack manager who hasnt lost no matter how bad we are playing, some lingering "he's done it before" stuff and the great unknown of who would come next and would he disrupt this wonderful stability that bruce brings

its basically bruce is shit but 3 weeks a go we were in even more shit and if we sack him it could get even shitter

I've not seen many saying "bruce in" because of anything that bruce himself is doing, havent seen a single positive footballing reason given, its more worrying about where we could go

On 19/08/2018 at 00:18, av1 said:

He has signed 2 shit keepers, plays a RB at LB, a CB at RB, and a shit DM at CB. 

Is it any wonder the back 5 are all over the place?

Absolutely clueless.  And people were worried about Herny being a car crash ?

A keeper so shit he has never conceded a goal for Aston Villa ?

Just now, villa4europe said:

I've not seen many saying "bruce in" because of anything that bruce himself is doing, havent seen a single positive footballing reason given, its more worrying about where we could go

Couldn't agree more. Every argument I've seen is more scared of change, rather than positives about Bruce. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

A keeper so shit he has never conceded a goal for Aston Villa ?

Well given that the team that played Yeovil are undefeated this season why don't we stick with that formation all season?

What an absolutely ridiculous defense. The guy looked like a car crash at Yeovil, the fact he kept a clean sheet (after a perfectly good goal was disallowed) is absolutely irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Couldn't agree more. Every argument I've seen is more scared of change, rather than positives about Bruce. 

That is probably what has changed, at least in my mind. Tony was not in a position to sack Bruce, it would have been too risky - for the new guys however that has completely changed things, whilst promotion is clearly the aim there is now less urgency regarding the parachute payments, I'm convinced they will take their time and will replace Bruce when the moment comes. 

My worries are twofold. One we don’t have a sustainable system in place to get enough results for promotion. Secondly we scrape promotion and even with the financial boost, we still play in a similar cautious way and come straight back down. 

Brucie isn’t going to change his spots, he’s been the same manager for 20 years. Even if we change managers after promotion, we would have to instigate massive changes to the squad next summer, making a slow start very likely. 

We need to be promoted playing a PL ready style, so that we can have a core of players that are able to cope with the Premiership and have a chance to hit the ground running. 

Im not saying sack him without a proper plan for a replacement. But I am saying make the change as soon as we have identified his replacement. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Well given that the team that played Yeovil are undefeated this season why don't we stick with that formation all season?

What an absolutely ridiculous defense. The guy looked like a car crash at Yeovil, the fact he kept a clean sheet (after a perfectly good goal was disallowed) is absolutely irrelevant.

I can see both arguments.

You're right, he looked shocking vs Yeovil. So defending him based on a clean sheet is nonsense, imo.

But what's also nonsense is judging a signing after one appearance. Like most signings, it'll take a while before it can be assessed.

On another point here, this signing shows the two facedness of Villa fans regarding transfers. (This isn't aimed at you av1, it just reminded me of the subject)

When we signed Moreira everyone was saying "Bruce is clearly not in charge of transfers anymore" "He's been told from above he needs to sign young players" "It's clear he has no say on signings"

Now that signing looks like it might be a bad one and it's all Bruce's fault.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

On another point here, this signing shows the two facedness of Villa fans regarding transfers. (This isn't aimed at you av1, it just reminded me of the subject)

When we signed Moreira everyone was saying "Bruce is clearly not in charge of transfers anymore" "He's been told from above he needs to sign young players" "It's clear he has no say on signings"

Now that signing looks like it might be a bad one and it's all Bruce's fault.

Agree with that. Personally i don't believe the Mendes links anyway, but that's for another thread.

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agree with that. Personally i don't believe the Mendes links anyway, but that's for another thread.

The Mendes links are real I’m sure. But we mustn’t forget, whilst working with agents is now part of modern football, Mendes and all the other agents will only help while it’s in their own best interests. They couldn’t care less about us or any other club. He wasn’t helping us when we were skint, as soon as money appears he is straight in the door. Which is significant if only that it shows that we now have genuine money behind us. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

You have to wonder about our fanbase if 75% of it think keeping Bruce is a good idea :crylaugh:

Could you explain what makes you qualified to mock and sneer at the opinions of others? 

It's worth pointing out that the sample was 1.8k people, and only those that follow Aston Villa Worldwide on Facebook, hardly a conclusive or even reliable source of information, but useful as a discussion point. 

Edited by PompeyVillan

7 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Could you explain what makes you qualified to mock and sneer at the opinions of others? 

It's worth pointing out that the sample was 1.8k people, and only those that follow Aston Villa Worldwide on Facebook, hardly a conclusive or even reliable source of information, but useful as a discussion point. 

I think it was a fairly light hearted remark and not directed at anyone personally ?

1 hour ago, av1 said:

You sound like a Wolves fan.

Â