Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Is this question a bit confused? If the complaint is that Bruce failed to get the levels of performance out of players that they achieved at previous clubs, then the question is surely about getting the best out of players who have already developed? Not why can''t he develop players? The question about development perhaps relates more to bringing on our youth squad.

Bruce is regularly accused of abject failure in both areas. There is a case to make here but not as extreme and absolute as is often expressed. Using terms like "incapable" is divisive and hard to justify. I would just reflect that it's not like the club had a fantastic record of getting top level performances from established players before he arrived. Nor did we have much success in bringing youth players to first team level. This frustration has been around the club for a long time.

So it's not like he brought a superb system to a grinding halt. And he can claim a success in converting Jack Grealish from fitful talented wannabe playboy to a  much more focused, fitter and effective player than we had ever seen before.

Also his remit under Xia was almost certainly not much to do with developing players. Xia needed promotion to stop his financial house of cards collapsing and in that environment players  would not have had much time to settle in before being sidelined if they couldn't play effectively. Maybe if the new owners indicate they are prepared to sacrifice instant success a little to allow players some space and time to get to better levels of performance, there may be a different approach.

My point is not confused at all. You seem to infer that development can only occur in young players! Development is an on going process that never stops.

When you invest significant financial resources in a player, surely you owe it to the player, the club and the supporters to then invest the time and skills to develop and improve the player. How many players has Bruce really improved?

I do not agree with the Grealish argument. He is a young and talented footballer that would always have improved. Bruce himself said, only yesterday, that the main impetus for the improvement in the attitude shown by Jack was the injury he suffered last pre season.

I also do not see why you have to sacrifice overall performance to develop players. They can be developed on the training ground and only when they are ready, be introduced into the team. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Dave, I'd take Dean Smith tomorrow. 

If that makes me a bell - end, then long live the bell - end' s.

I've always thought that Warwickshire should honour the great Ian Bell and call one of the ends at Edgbaston after him.

It would be great for the commentator, especially if Willey was bowling !!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dick said:

I'm not so sure. I talk to a lot of fans and when I say I am a Villa fan, most have said something about Bruce being a poor manager. A Portsmouth friend of mine is the only one I can think of who wanted Bruce at his club. I hardly hear a good word about him, not that it matters, but I think the media over-value him because of his two (?) promotions, a lot of his negatives (relegations, players bought and then dumped) gets glossed over. 

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Facts, wouldnt it be great if they still meant something. 

Doesn't matter any more, everyone just walks around thinking whatever shit they want and dare anyone correct their right to an opinion, even though its totally wrong. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Doesn't matter any more, everyone just walks around thinking whatever shit they want and dare anyone correct their right to an opinion, even though its totally wrong. 

@Dick put a question mark next to the number 2 which showed he wasn't sure about it. He very obviously wasn't stating it as fact.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dick said:

I'm not so sure. I talk to a lot of fans and when I say I am a Villa fan, most have said something about Bruce being a poor manager. A Portsmouth friend of mine is the only one I can think of who wanted Bruce at his club. I hardly hear a good word about him, not that it matters, but I think the media over-value him because of his two (?) promotions, a lot of his negatives (relegations, players bought and then dumped) gets glossed over. 

two? TWO? TWO?

How very dare you!

He has FOUR.   FOUR, count them, FOUR. Because of this, he is absolutely, categorically, without doubt the man to get us promoted. Have you not been listening?????

:ph34r:

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Correct, I have criticised Bruce a few times and was shot down to pieces.

It's unbelievable H&V, just unbelievable.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just watched the press conference. Hope that’s the last doom and gloom comment. 

Good to hear he is hopeful of 2-3 signings. 

You noticed it too.

It was soo 4 weeks ago, his patter is as modern as his style of football.

The pressure is already getting to him and it's only the 3rd league game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

two? TWO? TWO?

How very dare you!

He has FOUR.   FOUR, count them, FOUR. Because of this, he is absolutely, categorically, without doubt the man to get us promoted. Have you not been listening?????

:ph34r:

I was never any good at maths ?

• Like 1

So he's got Jedinak at centre back again.. I mean every manager has favourites and tries to shoehorn then into the team.. But this is just ridiculous. 

I did say though I expect him to play jedinak there again last week, as he said in an interview last year that he sees Jedinak as a centre back going forward

Nutter

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

So he's got Jedinak at centre back again.. I mean every manager has favourites and tries to shoehorn then into the team.. But this is just ridiculous. 

I did say though I expect him to play jedinak there again last week, as he said in an interview last year that he sees Jedinak as a centre back going forward

Nutter

Clueless mate. We shouldn’t be surprised though. Also whenever he’s asked about areas to strengthen he never mentions CB....think we better get used to Jedi there....sigh!! 

• Sad 1

Â