Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

33 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it wasn't good enough...most will agree that. the disagreements are that some believe it was a sackable offence, others dont.

so we EXPECT to win games and score goals, which we are...the problems are that that is STILL not good enough for some, and i guarantee, we could win the next 8 on the bounce but the very first dropped point will be post after post of bruce out again. i just dont understand why people refuse to forgive last season and just see how the first few games of this one pan out

I seriously doubt if we were to win 8 in a row there would be any opposition. Even now 2 wins out of 2 is great, people are just saying the manner in which we won them doesn't bode well for the future. In other words, it doesn't look like we'll keep it up for 8 games as you say.

Last season is gone, you're right...but it seems like nothing's changed. At least we've got off to a good start this time. On to Ipswich, we've got a nice run of games to start with so we can build up some real momentum.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I seriously doubt if we were to win 8 in a row there would be any opposition. Even now 2 wins out of 2 is great, people are just saying the manner in which we won them doesn't bode well for the future. In other words, it doesn't look like we'll keep it up for 8 games as you say.

Last season is gone, you're right...but it seems like nothing's changed. At least we've got off to a good start this time. On to Ipswich, we've got a nice run of games to start with so we can build up some real momentum.

this. this has been my only criticism so far tbh. however I've also praised our very apparent resilience this season, that is coming back from a losing position to win twice. I suppose you have to take the good with the bad, because as good as the latter is it could possibly have been avoided by the former, a more organized and mobile team.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I think that Bruce will stabilize our defense which has looked very shaky, but I've yet to see much to indicate more movement on the pitch despite hearing Bruce's own criticism of this. If he can fix both then I believe we will get promotion this year. I'm not entirely convinced from what I've seen but I remain hopeful.

• Like 3

It was frustrating to hear Bruce blame the youngsters against Yeovil for the poor performance.

If you throw together a team of fringe players with 3 or 4 youth players they aren't going to play amazingly well in a one off game together.

Bruce has said the youngsters would have learned some harsh truths or something like that, so it sounds like he's wont be integrating them on the back of a one off performance.

I didnt think we played any worse than we did in the first 2 league games for example which we also won, he didn't come out and say Jedinak, Adomah or Taylor learned some harsh truths 

If he introduced youngsters in the main team one at a time playing with the first xi rather than a mish mash im sure theyd play a lot better than they did agaisnt Yeovil, might even pleasantly surprise him.

• Like 2

Why do we allow one man to decide that Villa will play sh*t football either because he's unwilling or unable to do anything about it?

Fans pay a fortune to watch Villa and deserve better. If three points are all that matter now, fans might as well stay home and wait for the result.

Why do we go to the pub instead of sitting at home and drinking for a fraction of the cost? I guess it's because it's a much more enjoyable experience and a well pulled pint is nectar! What if the landlord served a flat useless pint every time you went? Would you complain? Villa fan's don't have the option of switching pubs, but they do have the option of demanding a new landlord!

I think we generally agreed yesterday on this thread that Brucie football is usually sh*t. Even those that feel Bruce should continue as Villa manager mostly share that opinion, but believe that we can put up with it, if it gets us to the play offs (which is fair enough if that's your honest opinion).

I've been cheered up today by a couple of posts that pointed out that Bruce is effectively our "caretaker manager" until our new owners appoint a significantly better manager to take us forward.

Here's to a more positive future .... Cheers!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I don’t get this entitlement to a certain type of football. It’s almost like attractive football is what we’ve always been known for; like it’s in the DNA of the club.

We haven't played consistently 'good' football since Ron Atkinson left. 

It's nonsense. 

10 hours ago, Dave J said:

It's all relative in terms of resource though - I think many of us feel Bruce has underachieved with what's been made available to him - how many think Dean Smith is underachieving ? Whilst having also to sell his best players 

Dave, I'd take Dean Smith tomorrow. 

If that makes me a bell - end, then long live the bell - end' s.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

It was frustrating to hear Bruce blame the youngsters against Yeovil for the poor performance.

If you throw together a team of fringe players with 3 or 4 youth players they aren't going to play amazingly well in a one off game together.

Bruce has said the youngsters would have learned some harsh truths or something like that, so it sounds like he's wont be integrating them on the back of a one off performance.

I didnt think we played any worse than we did in the first 2 league games for example which we also won, he didn't come out and say Jedinak, Adomah or Taylor learned some harsh truths 

If he introduced youngsters in the main team one at a time playing with the first xi rather than a mish mash im sure theyd play a lot better than they did agaisnt Yeovil, might even pleasantly surprise him.

I didn't read it as he did blame them for the performance

He was simply highlighting the harsh realities of playing academy football and first team football....if anything he was granting them mitigation.

Its been said on these boards before that the physicality of which Bruce was mainly referring was in stark contrast to the under 23's or reserves.....they allow you time and space, first teams don't.

Its something they have to work on .....Jack worked on it and has come out the other side with flying colours.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Dave, I'd take Dean Smith tomorrow. 

If that makes me a bell - end, then long live the bell - end' s.

I would be very surprised if you took a poll across the industry and asked the simple question...

who is the better manager Steve Bruce or Dean Smith......and Dean Smith won.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's not nonsense.

I went to VP with my four sons for every match under Big Ron, and it was electric!

Why decide that because it's not been as exciting since Atkinson was sacked, it's okay to put up with negative disconnected football?

From March 31st 1994 through to Nov 10 1994 when he got sacked Ron presided over 4 wins in 26 games. That was the back end of one season and the start of the next, so a summer to build should in theory have taken place.....not blaming him for that by the way, it was probably Doug.

Ron's team was great to watch during his early stay c18 months and the final to boot........and then it went down hill as the results listed suggest.

We finished:

1991/92 - 7th

1992/93 - 2nd

1993/94- 10th

1994/95- 18th.....Ron had 14 games before handing over to Brian Little....of which he won 2.

So Ron's time with us was very much first half better than second half and very much in contrast too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's not nonsense.

I went to VP with my four sons for every match under Big Ron, and it was electric!

Why decide that because it's not been as exciting since Atkinson was sacked, it's okay to put up with negative disconnected football?

I'd have to believe we were playing negative, disconnected football, before I could consider if it's acceptable or not. Personally, I don't think we are. 

My point was that in reality, it's been over 20 years since we played consistently good, attacking football on weekly basis imo (and weekly is pushing it, we had some poor games back then too). 

The closest we came to reguarly matching those performance levels was under O'Neil and that was more down to the calibre of player we had and our ability to counter-attack at lightening speed. When we actually got 'good' we struggled to break teams down, especially at home, because he only knew how to play as the underdog. The football wasn't 'good' in a stylistic way, but we were often exciting, especially away from home. 

I just think this whole 'style' thing is a bit of an overblown myth in all honesty and I certainly don't think Bruce is deliberately trying to play boring, 'negative' football. 

We do play some decent stuff at times. I'd like us to play more decent stuff than we do and I think we will this season. 

Teams won't just roll over and let us do it though, so in the meantime I'll take another 3 goals and 3 points tomorrow, playing crap football! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I'd have to believe we were playing negative, disconnected football, before I could consider if it's acceptable or not. Personally, I don't think we are. 

My point was that in reality, it's been over 20 years since we played consistently good, attacking football on weekly basis imo (and weekly is pushing it, we had some poor games back then too). 

The closest we came to reguarly matching those performance levels was under O'Neil and that was more down to the calibre of player we had and our ability to counter-attack at lightening speed. When we actually got 'good' we struggled to break teams down, especially at home, because he only knew how to play as the underdog. The football wasn't 'good' in a stylistic way, but we were often exciting, especially away from home. 

I just think this whole 'style' thing is a bit of an overblown myth in all honesty and I certainly don't think Bruce is deliberately trying to play boring, 'negative' football. 

We do play some decent stuff at times. I'd like us to play more decent stuff than we do and I think we will this season. 

Teams won't just roll over and let us do it though, so in the meantime I'll take another 3 goals and 3 points tomorrow, playing crap football! 

Just check out our win ratio's over our History.....there is some mythical thinking on here.

I have been very fortunate in my life time to see amongst the best times of any Villa Era, in relation to credible competition.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

From March 31st 1994 through to Nov 10 1994 when he got sacked Ron presided over 4 wins in 26 games. That was the back end of one season and the start of the next, so a summer to build should in theory have taken place.....not blaming him for that by the way, it was probably Doug.

Ron's team was great to watch during his early stay c18 months and the final to boot........and then it went down hill as the results listed suggest.

We finished:

1991/92 - 7th

1992/93 - 2nd

1993/94- 10th

1994/95- 18th.....Ron had 14 games before handing over to Brian Little.

So Ron's time with us was very much first half better than second half and very much in contrast too.

I accept that TRO, the first eighteen months were the best, but there was always that expectation from an Atkinson team.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I accept that TRO, the first eighteen months were the best, but there was always that expectation from an Atkinson team.

Well....I have to accept its all in the eye of the beholder.

me....towards his departure, i just wanted a win.....but I confess, I loved the way we played, but with Parker and Houghton,& Richardson pulling the strings is there and surprise.....We had Yorke and Dean Saunders and Teale and McGrath.

I honestly believe this.....If Steve Bruce was as guilty as some make out( and I'm not saying he is great) there is enough ex players retired around Sutton Coldfield to have something to say about him.

I have always had empathy, with the notion you defend from the front.....We can't presently and subsequently he loses trust and I think that is another element, why he plays very cautiously.

I do not disagree with you, Sheepy or Dave J & AV1......about the spectacle.......I just think the problem is more than just SB.....I actually think he knows just like we do.

I will let you in to a little bit of Trivia.

I wrote a letter once ( only ever once) to Graham Taylor a long winded effort ( not like me, much) in drawing attention to some of our shortfalls, IMO of course.

He sent me a very polite letter back( what else would you expect form one of life's gentleman) saying Quote " Being aware of the problem and being able to do something about it is,however, two different matters"....dated 12 March 1990.....I still have the letter and as basic as it was.....its true.

We all have these theories of what they do, but in reality most of us have no idea of the trials and tribulations of a football manager, I read both Warnocks books and it enlightened me.

I am very cautious of criticising managers, on detail, no matter who they are, in fear of just simply not knowing the facts.....I watch the games and love winning and only when I feel we are not winning enough, do I join the band that says manager, no more.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Kenneth Williams would have a panic attack!

and Frankie Howard.....Owhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Â