Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

56 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Stability that leads to what? This stability idea is just more short term thinking that has got us into our current mess. 

We will never have the financial advantage over all championship teams again. Surely without that the best way to go up is with a more long term plan that includes:

1 - excellent coaching and tactics

2 - smart signings with an emphasis on long term growth

3 - bringing through academy players. 

Which of these does stability with Bruce help us with? How does stability with bruce help us get back up? 

How do you know bruce cant do That? He used green davis and RHM at times all last year and gave them opportunities. 

You don't know bruce is or isn't a excellent coach. I'd say he is as he had them playing for him the whole season. 

Smart signings with what cash?? We are skint people not to be realistic it will be loans and possible freebies in the summer so we can't attract the quality smart signings you are are desiring unless we get massive return.

We are not going back up next year. It's going to take years. Why get someone like smith for example who for me would do a worse job than bruce for all three? 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Then you haven't followed Villa for very long or have a very bad memory.

Turning  a corner? What an absolutely moronic statement. Getting relegated for the first time in 30 years.

I haven't followed Villa for very long. 8 years of watching most weeks.

Call it as you see fit. I was referring to the change in losing mentality that was ingrained during our last few years in the Prem to the expectation of victory in the Championship.

Also the acquisition of players who were the divisions top performers as opposed to some of the players that couldn't cut it from before.

Plus if you were to believe the hype of some, we were destined for League 1.

I don't think it qualifies as absolutely moronic put in that context but each to their own.

Edited by A'Villan

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How do you know bruce cant do That? He used green davis and RHM at times all last year and gave them opportunities. 

You don't know bruce is or isn't a excellent coach. I'd say he is as he had them playing for him the whole season. 

Smart signings with what cash?? We are skint people not to be realistic it will be loans and possible freebies in the summer so we can't attract the quality smart signings you are are desiring unless we get massive return.

We are not going back up next year. It's going to take years. Why get someone like smith for example who for me would do a worse job than bruce for all three? 

So just to be clear. You want Bruce to stay for years to come and you think he will build something on our limited budget that gets us up?

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree but I do think next season may be just a fight to steady ourselves and stay in the league. After that point we can build.  Bruce is probably capable of that. 

A new manager with new ideas at this point could end up being a Garde type situation. 

Right guy, wrong time. 

Yep, its a risk to some extent. 

For me, i don't think we need to waste that year to steady ourselves, if we believe a new approach is needed then i'd want to start now. 

Waiting another year before trying a new approach could also lead to more problems that make it difficult.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

That doesn't explain why people have no problem with sticking with him and going backwards. 

That would explain why people would want another shot of promotion this upcoming season. But people acknowledge that won't happen yet still want him to stay. 

No other manager I can remember has been afforded that 

I don't think we'll be having a shot at promotion, no matter who manages us. But like everyone else, I'm guessing based on not much more than the apparent state of our finances, which is hardly a reliable guide to how a 46 game season will pan out. My belief is that we probably don't have the money to sack the manager and all of his backroom staff, and then appoint another manager who is in work, paying compensation as well. It's a guess, but I think it's a reasonable one from the circumstances.

In any case, I also a] don't think that a 4th place finish and 90 minutes from promotion is deserving of the sack anyway, and b] don't blame the manager for the poor running of the club's finances, which is not his role.  

I understand you feel differently. I'm going to leave it here as I don't really have anything else to add. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

. My belief is that we probably don't have the money to sack the manager and all of his backroom staff, and then appoint another manager who is in work, paying compensation as well. It's a guess, but I think it's a reasonable one from the circumstances.

Then surely we must try and re-negotiate his contract.

He's on a rolling 1-year contract of about £1.5m (or £3m if you believe the amount he will have to be compensated with according to the papers) so whenever it's terminated it will cost us.

Will be a long time before we are financially strong again and a skint mid table Championship can't afford to have a manager on those kind of money. 

Especially not one who's not delivering.

Really hope someone else go for him.

Better for him, and potentially better for us. Yes I'm willing to take that risk/chance.

Edited by sne

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Why would you want me to do that? No one who continues to support bruce forgets his past and judges the now. If they did, they wouldn't keep going on about 4 promotions. 

Never change fella!

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The mirror reporting bruce has to find 50m. Don't know if this is true or waffle but if it is true no quality manager is going to take this job. Stick with bruce give us some stability. That's what we need right now.

Implement some youngsters that bruce knows about.

Sticking with Bruce will give us stability? It hasnt given us any stability so far. Following Bruce's plan has only brought us down financially and left us in a bigger mess. Granted he isnt the only one to blame, but his plan didnt work out and now we want to keep him?

Edited by Taxahunter
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, vreitti said:

It's funny how you want Bruce to stay on, but were critical of us retaining Hutton. 

Just because you are not convinced about a 34 re signing that doesn't mean you wnat the manager out.

43 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Sticking with Bruce will give us stability? It hasnt given us any stability so far. Following Bruce's plan has only brought us down financially and left us in a bigger mess. Granted he isnt the only one to blame, but his plan didnt work out and now we want to keep him?

Wait was it bruce or di  matteos reckless spending?? I think you will find bruce had no part in giving huge wages to the likes of McCormack jedinak and adomah

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

If Bruce was to walk, I take it that a lot of people in here will be calling for a Mick McCarthy 'safe pair of hands' type manager?

Well that is who we would be getting.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just because you are not convinced about a 34 re signing that doesn't mean you wnat the manager out.

Right, because there is absolutely no correlation whatsoever. Bruce no doubt would rather have relied on youth... in his quest to develop us a whole new style of play.... I suppose Hutton was retained without Bruce's consent!?

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wait was it bruce or di  matteos reckless spending?? I think you will find bruce had no part in giving huge wages to the likes of McCormack jedinak and adomah

Yes, it was Bruce who gave huge wages to Terry, Snodgrass, Lansbury, Whelan, Grabban, Hogan, so I think you will find that he also carries some of the blame.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Well that is who we would be getting.

Not necessarily, if tiny teams like Huddersfield Town and Fulham can find decent managers then I'm sure they're out there. But if you're right, then I get the feeling that many on here would be happy with him. A manager that knows the league inside out, has many, many years of experience, can keep a team away from relegation and can work on a budget. What's not to like? :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taxahunter said:

Yes, it was Bruce who gave huge wages to Terry, Snodgrass, Lansbury, Whelan, Grabban, Hogan, so I think you will find that he also carries some of the blame.

Agreed.

And Xia Wyness and Round allowed it to happen.

Shambles all around concerning the first team squad and finances.

• Like 2

Â