Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

39 minutes ago, jim said:

I might be in a minority then but I could see we were always going to get performances like the last 2. We have played really well only a handful of times (imo) 

The rest of our performances have been mediocre at best, even when we went on that great run a lot of the performances weren’t great. The cracks have been there to see for most of the season.

I would go as far to say the Wolves performance was what I didn’t see coming, as we have seen some very average displays for the majority of the season. 

not arguing Jim, but Cardiff and Fulham have had some near misses too.

Derby and Bristol have dropped off and Sheff Utd are just also rans.....Millwall and Middlesborough are now finding form.

The only team thats been at it from the start is Wolves as we all know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, fair enough, TRO - I did say it was a general point and deliberately didn't mention Bruce.

I think I've made my views on him clear before and there's nothing really changed on that - I wouldn't have appointed him, but once he's here, give him to the end of this season, don't bother fretting game by game, and at the end of the season as he's said himself, then he'll either be potted for failure, or he'll have got us up and all's good. The things that made me wary of him are still present, he's done well in some areas I didn't see and credit to him for that, he's by no means a bad manager - his record shows that he's done well at various clubs, and had periods of doing less well, too.

Fair Comment.

20 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Good post that for me, runs into several previous.  Sometimes we overpower footballing sides, sometimes they overpower us.  Sometimes we pass around muscle and bustle sides, sometimes they knock us over. 

We are just terribly inconsistent.  The question I ask is why?   And I think, dovetailing into your points, we don’t align strategy, formation, personnel to match each other AND to suit the opponent.  

We play a midfielder carries the ball forward strategy with 4 forwards.  It doesn’t align.  You hoof with 4 forwards.  We play high balls to hogan to control with Davis on the bench.  We ask hogan to make runs uff the shoulder but don’t have Jack in the center to hit those runs.  There is no aligned, coherent, consistent plan.  

So just to condense all of your points, what you're saying is that Bruce doesn't have a clue what he is doing!

21 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

So just to condense all of your points, what you're saying is that Bruce doesn't have a clue what he is doing!

I understand the humor, but in specific, I wouldn’t say that.  I think that overall his moves in the transfer market have been quite good.  Our roster right now is much stronger than the roster that was relegated.  (Not every trade or signing worked out great, but that’s not unusual, happens to every club).  The team spirit and professionalism is also improved.  So, I see his performance for us as very mixed and it will require someone else with financial backing, for us to advance further.  

Edited by srsmithusa
I was a bit overmedicated when I posted and wasn't as clear as I would hope.

28 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I understand the humour, but in specific, I wouldn’t say that.  I think that overall his moves in the transfer market have been quite good.  Our squad right now is much stronger than the squad that was relegated.  (Not every transfer or signing worked out great, but that’s not unusual, happens to every club).  The team spirit one professionalism is also improved.  So, I see his performance for us as very mixed and it will require someone else with financial backing resources, will be required for us to advance further.  

FTFY 

When you look at what we splashed out on before Bruce arrived, I think most of his signings have worked out to be great. The Terry signing eclipses all the crap we bought under Lerner, to the point where I've completely forgotten them!!! 

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but to fair to RDM kodijas goals could have kept us up last season. Adomahs goals have kept us in top 6 this season and Chester has been our most consistent player for 2 season. 

I forgot about the RDM buys. This is what this season has done to me!!

• Like 1

True but to fair to RDM kodijas goals could have kept us up last season. Adomahs goals have kept us in top 6 this season and Chester has been our most consistent player for 2 season. 

RDM had no midfield.

It's why I sometimes say, we also have no idea what he could have, or would have done with the same January window and backing Bruce had.

Either way obviously we will never know, and has been pointed out, it seems they eventually just didn't think he had the gravitas for the job.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

To be fair to RDM when you spunk the amount of money he did, you expect more than a couple of those players to be standouts.

29 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

To be fair to RDM when you spunk the amount of money he did, you expect more than a couple of those players to be standouts.

How’s that being fair to him? 

Anyway Jed and McCormack made sense at the time and I didn’t hear anybody complaining when they were signed.

Tshbola and the keeper were big mistakes so yes 9 million or so wasted there by the club. No getting away from that. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

RDM had no midfield.

It's why I sometimes say, we also have no idea what he could have, or would have done with the same January window and backing Bruce had.

Either way obviously we will never know, and has been pointed out, it seems they eventually just didn't think he had the gravitas for the job.

I don't know what went on behind the scenes......but the hierarchy clearly didn't fancy him.

We will only judge him by what we seen.....2 slightly different agenda's, I fancy.

but yes we had no midfield.....and I for one, think its been a problem for some time.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

RDM had no midfield.

Either way obviously we will never know, 

Oh we know 100% given that he was arguably the worst manager ever to manage this club. He'd have bought more shite, had more terrible results and probably relegated us. 

Edited by villa89

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Oh we know 100% given that he was arguably the worst manager ever to manage this club. He'd have bought more shite, had more terrible results and probably relegated us. 

i'm confused.  RDM probably relegated us?  How did that work?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Oh we know 100% given that he was arguably the worst manager ever to manage this club. He'd have bought more shite

With the exception of Tish and Gollini, I don’t think anyone was upset with his other signings. Most have also gone on to be pretty important players for the club this season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim said:

With the exception of Tish and Gollini, I don’t think anyone was upset with his other signings. Most have also gone on to be pretty important players for the club this season. 

Agreed - we have also had worse managers McNeil Dr Jo & McLeish.

quite rightly everyone has a view on this matter but I don't think 11 games is enough to judge anybody on imo 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

RDM had no midfield.

I'd love to know whether that summer window was all RDM's work or what, if so then it's his fault he had no midfield. If not, then yeah, things might have been very different had he been left to work on what he wanted to and fix the summer in Jan. We'll never know obvs but looking back it seems just incredibly mental to start a season with nothing in the middle of the park.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't know what went on behind the scenes......but the hierarchy clearly didn't fancy him.

We will only judge him by what we seen.....2 slightly different agenda's, I fancy.

but yes we had no midfield.....and I for one, think its been a problem for some time.

Do you even need to know what's going on behind the scenes when you're in 22nd place with one win out of eleven matches. 

I'd say the scenes were very much public. 

• Thanks 1

Â