Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I'm guessing it's the same way that Lambert used to recycle the "We go again" line. Managers have their standard comments they tend to make in certain situations. I don't really care about the same excuses he's making. What I would care about, is the similarities to overspending/ underachieving/ lack of Plan B etc.

"We go again" is just a cliche.  Telling supporters they are showing mass hysteria is an error of judgement which alienates them. 

Having done it once, you would think he would learn the lesson.  Makes me think he either wasn't aware of the reaction, didn't care, didn't think it was something to avoid in the future,  just forgot about, and perhaps couldn't control himself.  None of these possible explanations are comforting or reassuring.

The blog I posted above refers to things like playing people out of position, and passing off responsibility for results on to predecessors long after he had made changes in the squad, things which have recurred with us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Why is the message not getting across though? Is it the manager or is it now all the players? Or are the players now turning on the manager?

I think it's the players but then I guess the manager and coaching staff should of picked up on this well before now. It consistently keeps happening. Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield Untited and now Brentford. The same will happen away at Boro on Saturday if this mentality continues. The games and months are slippping by. 

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

As I said yesterday, and don't take this as an insult :), I think you're overly negative. Bruce's Villa aren't exactly filling me with confidence either, but I think us climbing back into the play-off places by January 2nd is do-able. I'm with you though, if we don't, or if we don't pick up at least 4 points from the next two games (which I've set as the minimum, in my head), then Bruce should go.

As boring as the football has been under Bruce (which, let's face it, we all expected. Right?) we have had a couple of spells of 3-4 wins on the bounce.

Sorry my posts feel negative and no insult taken, but negativity from the club does tend to rub off on certain fans.. this appointment/performance more so than other appointments have. ;)

I have been against the appointment from the off but I agree with you we knew what we where in for, granted.

I have sat back and gave him the benefit of the doubt and also time to inbed his philosophy, his style, his team, backroom staff etc.

He has had his moments, But since Oct we seem to now be on a doward spiral and with a culmination of everything thrown in which was the beginning of the slope.

His results in December are poor and failure to Win at boro will see 2 points collected from a potential 18. I think he is now on borrowed time - This has been the month that has done it for me.

I guess this is due to knowing what is at stake and can see it gradually slipping away if nothing is improved is the nip for many posters on this board.

I just think the man has taken us as far as he can go and we now need to make a fresh change whilst in the salvageable position we are in and still able to do so with a fresh input on our continued promotion charge.  :thumb:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

"We go again" is just a cliche.  Telling supporters they are showing mass hysteria is an error of judgement which alienates them. 

Having done it once, you would think he would learn the lesson.  Makes me think he either wasn't aware of the reaction, didn't care, didn't think it was something to avoid in the future,  just forgot about, and perhaps couldn't control himself.  None of these possible explanations are comforting or reassuring.

The blog I posted above refers to things like playing people out of position, and passing off responsibility for results on to predecessors long after he had made changes in the squad, things which have recurred with us.

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You might think it is hysterical because you've ignored the evidence presented to you with last years performances, pre season performances and many performances this season. 

Last year he set himself the target of top 10 and failed. This year wyness set him a target of the team scoring 70+ goals and we aren't on course to do it. Xia set him the target of 2 pts a game and automatic promotion and he is miles off achieving it. 

Nothing hysterical at all wanting him replaced after everything he has shown us as aston villa manager. 

No more likes left but 2 good posts.  :thumb:

28 minutes ago, RotaxMax125 said:

I still think we are lucky to have Steve Bruce as our manager. What he needs to do though is to drill the mentality into those players to fight for it when we go a goal down. They should be thinking like a boxer that gets knocked down. Get up off the canvas, dust yourself off and fight back!!! As professional sports men this should be 2nd nature but it seems the message is not getting across. 

When he isn’t getting a simple message across, exactly why should I feel lucky to have him?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RotaxMax125 said:

I still think we are lucky to have Steve Bruce as our manager. What he needs to do though is to drill the mentality into those players to fight for it when we go a goal down. They should be thinking like a boxer that gets knocked down. Get up off the canvas, dust yourself off and fight back!!! As professional sports men this should be 2nd nature but it seems the message is not getting across. 

On the off chance you are serious....

In my view ....

Professional sportsmen DONT need someone to tell them to fight, or get off the canvas, or dust themselves down.

Im pretty sure that is indeed the message Bruce gets across.

Professional sportsmen need systems, tactics, plans, and high level coaching.

Thats the teensy weeny bit we are missing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You might think it is hysterical because you've ignored the evidence presented to you with last years performances, pre season performances and many performances this season. 

Last year he set himself the target of top 10 and failed. This year wyness set him a target of the team scoring 70+ goals and we aren't on course to do it. Xia set him the target of 2 pts a game and automatic promotion and he is miles off achieving it. 

Nothing hysterical at all wanting him replaced after everything he has shown us as aston villa manager. 

We know the performances have been poor, or unattractive, because that's what you get from Bruce, but we also haven't been bad enough to warrant a sacking (just yet), in my opinion.

What I have seen with my own eyes, is that (as I mentioned a few posts ago), since October we have been in the play-off positions. That was the bare minimum that Bruce should achieve. We've had decent runs too. Unbeaten in 10 at one stage, when we also won 4 out of 5 games. Unbeaten in 5 a few weeks ago, including three 2-goal wins against QPR, Ipswich and Sunderland, until we lost to Derby. We've had our good spells, even if the crap football has made some people still question whether it's good enough.

I just woke up on the east coast and it's -12 degrees. I was hoping the Villa had done the right thing and got rid of him this morning. Looking at social media, it doesn't look it''s going to happen any time soon. Honestly, what do the board and owner need to see before he gets sacked. We are just an awful team with no confidence or pattern of play.

-12 and a shit manager. It's depressing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RotaxMax125 said:

Nice wind-up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RotaxMax125 said:

Hi Steve 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The worry for me is.....we just seem to be a bit better version overall than we was last season.

But the blips happen at the same time, we had a poor start.....then we limped in to January last season and here we are again.

I see so many traits of last season and this " nightmare relegation style football" is back with us again, is a major concern.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not gonna lie, I’m getting to the point where I think another manager could get more out of this group of players.

I am uncertain.....put it this way, not with this set up.

Just now, TRO said:

I am uncertain.....put it this way, not with this set up.

I know what you mean, every now and then we have this spell of play and it all clicks together... but then it goes back to full backs launching it 60 yards up the field to nobody.

I don't for a second believe that these performances is the best one can get out of this group of players.

I agree many of them might be overrated and that we overspent on many of them (transfers and or wages).

But I'm 100% sure many managers (even those who might be available for us) could get much more out of them against Championship opposition.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

When Bruce does get the sack he will have nobody to blame but himself. 

Oh, you just wait.

He'll whinge and lie and his buds in the media will tell him he's right and how harshly he's been treated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

On the off chance you are serious....

In my view ....

Professional sportsmen DONT need someone to tell them to fight, or get off the canvas, or dust themselves down.

Im pretty sure that is indeed the message Bruce gets across.

Professional sportsmen need systems, tactics, plans, and high level coaching.

Thats the teensy weeny bit we are missing.

They also need motivation just like they need coaching.

The better players are self motivated to a large degree, but other with fragile belief do.

What confuses me is how they can play ok against some sides.......If it was a third parties failure like manager or coaches......surely they would be **** in EVERY game.

Look, Terry you and all the others could be right....Manager no good.....I just think there are more questions than answers.

However, I do get the impression and its only and impression ,because I don't know......There is no one on one coaching like Pepe does to improve individuals.....well its not working if there is.

I still have empathy with the line that many of the players are overrated.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

I know what you mean, every now and then we have this spell of play and it all clicks together... but then it goes back to full backs launching it 60 yards up the field to nobody.

Yes, and it begs the question.

If the coaches are crap, why do they manage decent games, sure it would be consistently good or consistently crap.

This lot of ours are Brittle.

Â