Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Posting this again for relevance. 2011 post Sunderland exit article in Guardian. I happened to read this when he was being touted which was a reason I was dead against him and I've seen it unfold in front of my eyes ever since

"Arguably one of the principal reasons Bruce is no longer in charge at the Stadium of Light concerns his apparent inability to tweak formations or tactics during matches. Whenever a rival manager re-configured his system mid-game, Bruce invariably failed to come up with a countermeasure."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But so many of his defenders have told us time and time again that it is only a small section on this forum that don't like him. 

until the derby game that was the case. on FB prior to that game they had a poll (several hundred voted) and 'Bruce in' was over 80% but i am now seeing a lot more calling for his head. i say to people at work, don't bring me a problem without a solution. sacking Bruce isn't the solution - i want to see a shortlist of potential realistic targets and i remain Bruce in until i think of an obtainable manager that i genuinely think would do a better job.

not a single name mentioned so far has filled me with any confidence

21 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

until the derby game that was the case. on FB prior to that game they had a poll (several hundred voted) and 'Bruce in' was over 80% but i am now seeing a lot more calling for his head. i say to people at work, don't bring me a problem without a solution. sacking Bruce isn't the solution - i want to see a shortlist of potential realistic targets and i remain Bruce in until i think of an obtainable manager that i genuinely think would do a better job.

From fans or from the club? 

And a facebook poll is hardly the provider of all truth  

Edited by DCJonah

I don't think I have ever seen a villa team with such a poor central midfield as yesterday. 

Whelan and jedinak together- the mind boggles as to why Bruce thought this would be a good idea. If those two played all the games in midfield we would be lucky not to get relegated. 

Bruce needs to go and I'd like to see Brendan Rodgers, Shakespeare, or even JT get the job. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Did you see how bad we were in the derby game ? They should of had a poll after the game .

Just now, bobzy said:

I knew we’d lose yesterday and didn’t even watch. Against teams that play good football, we seem to really struggle. Not good enough tbh. 

I watched but the defeat was predictable - in fact I expected  heavier .

cant see us getting anything against boro Bristol or forest in our next 3 either and probably 13th before xia opens his eyes to the farce he’s running 

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

Whelan and Jedinak were in there to protect the back four last night. For Brentford's first goal, Whelan gave the ball to one of their players and the goalscorer was pretty much central to goal but Jedinak wasn't there to make a challenge. In what way did they protect the back four? 

Jedinak should be playing instead of Whelan - not alongside him and only Bruce can be blamed for that!

Brentford are a passing team and playing them 2 just gave them the advantage

6 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

I don't think I have ever seen a villa team with such a poor central midfield as yesterday. 

Whelan and jedinak together- the mind boggles as to why Bruce thought this would be a good idea. If those two played all the games in midfield we would be lucky not to get relegated. 

Bruce needs to go and I'd like to see Brendan Rodgers, Shakespeare, or even JT get the job. 

Many suggested this would fail already in the summer, and of course were laughed at on here.

He needs to be sacked no doubt about that now and Villa will probably lose against Boro as well so the sooner the better the board take the relative action before the playoffs also become unattainable.

Have seen Dean Smith being banded about as the preferred choice. I’d be on board with that but it’s assuming a lot he would even want to come to Villa with Brentford closing in on the playoffs with a young team that he has built. Would the Brentford chairman even allow an approach from Villa when you consider the current state of both clubs? Then there’s compensation to be considered if Bruce was sacked and Villa given permission to speak to Smith.

Just can’t see it happening myself until at least the end of the season if Brentford aren’t promoted.

Called the pairing of Jedinak and Whelan before the team was released yesterday and stated in the summer that both players should never be paired together in the same team.

Well Bruce did that yesterday with the expected result.

Find it mind boggling that with the age of both players and up against youthful opponents Bruce thought this would be a good idea. I’d look over it if Villa hadn’t youthful midfielders of their own busting a gut to get a chance and they would be given that chance with someone like Smith in charge.

I am totally fed up with us being set up as a counter attacking team, at the least if you do this you ensure you have the players fast enough to play this way, we are slow of thought, lethargic in play, poor at ball possession and shite at passing, a really poor team, the tactics, fight and movement are non existent, the blame must lie with the manager and coaching staff,

Corners, throw ins and free licks, do we even train for these as they all seem the same,

We are a very predictable team who are easy to beat if you have decent players as has been shown by all the clubs around us we have played, we pass sidewards and back trying to bring teams out and then try and hoof it over them, teams just fill the box and stay back and then we are stumped, counter attacking only works against teams that attack you so when we inevitably go a goal down we have no ideas on how to break a team down,

Sorry but Bruce has to go as he is out of ideas.

• Like 2

Â