Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Dean Smith and backroom staff with a long term plan to change the whole playing philosophy of the team and the personnel.

Remit - consolidation this year with promotion next season or the season after. 

Basically time to start all over again. 

Brentford only 4 points behind us. He has better chance of promotion staying where he is

• Like 1

Genuine question here. Does anybody think Bruce sets up to try and win or just not to lose the game? The lack of pressure work rate tackling etc seem to suggest to me that not losing and keeping everybody behind the ball is priority and as today’s footballing lesson showed us it does not and has not ever worked.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I certainly agree that there's no obvious candidate. However, I suppose you can think of ways in which that might ultimately work in our favour. After all, Bruce was the obvious choice, and if he hasn't failed as badly as some on here make out, he also hasn't done well enough. Maybe being forced into a deeper search, or off the beaten track in some way, might help us. 

Of course, we might just go and hire someone completely shit instead. 

Well we've gone for Buddha Handsome and a 'proper footballing man'... 3rd time lucky? 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Brentford only 4 points behind us. He has better chance of promotion staying where he is

True but I think a move to Aston Villa to build something big for the long term would be to big to turn down. 

He is doing a superb job at Brentford but can only take them so far. 

1 minute ago, punkiller1981 said:

Genuine question here. Does anybody think Bruce sets up to try and win or just not to lose the game? The lack of pressure work rate tackling etc seem to suggest to me that not losing and keeping everybody behind the ball is priority and as today’s footballing lesson showed us it does not and has not ever worked.

I don't think we go in to win or to lose. I think he just picks an 11 and hopes for the best.

Genuinely.

• Like 2

Dean Smith and backroom staff with a long term plan to change the whole playing philosophy of the team and the personnel.

The Dean Smith win a less than a  35% win percentage  in his managerial career? It would be a massive jump for him to manage Villa. Just because we have failed to beat them in 4 matches it does not  make him the ideal candidate imo. And you know in about a years time if we are in the same position, fans would be screaming for Smith to go regardless if he is a Villa fan or not. We don't have the patience for a rebuild. Yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

100% not to lose never looks to win 

11 minutes ago, Heretic said:

The problem now is not if I think SB is the right man.

It's, do I trust the people who've appointed the last two managers to appoint the third?

Third time lucky? 

Seriously the lack of stand out candidates is why we’ve not acted sooner surely, this has been obvious since last feb when it quickly became apparent his attitude towards new players was “work it out yourselves lads” 

Get the structures right!!!! The rest will seamlessly happen. If we are stupid enough to shout in the summer " yeah we want promotion" with no plan other than we're aston villa then we get what we deserve which at the moment is nothing. If monk or smith or whoever get the job you would hope they make demands of the board, not necessarily financial,  but training, massive overhaul of the scouting department and youth setup. I'd hate to think they'll take the job, be good boys and do as told. Feels like groundhog dog but I'm afraid we got to strip this back and start again. We've waisted a year and a half.

Howe could be available once he takes Bournemouth down , good long term prospect and getable , assuming we are prepared to write off this season 

other than that I guess we try and find our own foreign wonder manager and hope he can hit the ground running 

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Everytime I think back to our pre season games. Nothing has changed. Nothing.

Can someone get a camera on our training pitch and tell me what we do. PLEASE.

I have seen some shit teams and some shit footballers but I have never seen a side as poor as we are at moving the ball, holding it, creating chances for strikers.

It is the worst I have ever seen. 

Likewise.

The evidence was there in the friendlies and many times since.

Its atrocious, it’s always been atrocious, it always will be atrocious.

People stay “ but who else “ . I don’t care. Play without a Manager all season and get Smith or scout someone else ready for next year.

Please God no more of this.

Just now, Fairy In Boots said:

Third time lucky? 

Seriously the lack of stand out candidates is why we’ve not acted sooner surely, this has been obvious since last feb when it quickly became apparent his attitude towards new players was “work it out yourselves lads” 

I wish (hope).

I'm not sure it's the lack of candidates. From the comments of Wyness and judging by the previous appointment, the board strongly favour candidates who've gained promotion before and to SB's credit, he has got massive experience in this division.

I think there's a lot of belief in him and they haven't been very interested in looking around.

Â