Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, villianusa said:

He finished some way of the playoffs, but taking over what he did, he did okay. Nothing special but okay. This is the season he has to get us promoted, and even though he should be closer to the top two, he still has a chance of doing that.

He could still possibly get us through the playoff but even that is the case. This style of football won't keep us in the Premier League for long. I'm would be happy to see him go at the end of the season even if we do go up.

Recent results have been poor and we haven't been able to capitalize on slip-ups of other teams. The next few games are crucial to him and the team, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Dr. has already sounded managers out.

I would think he’s daft if he has not.   

On the other hand, I think bruce is already past his sell by date.  I don’t understand your faith in him.  

I heard somewhere he has 4 promotions.  Just out of curiosity, how many seasons has he failed to get a championship team promoted? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I heard somewhere he has 4 promotions.  Just out of curiosity, how many seasons has he failed to get a championship team promoted? 

I was wondering that the other day. Just had a quick look, as far as I can tell (and I could well be wrong) there’s only been four seasons he’s managed in the championship and didn’t achieve promotion.

They were 98-99 season with Sheff Utd, the 99-00 and 00-01 seasons with Huddersfield and of course last season with us (I’ll refrain from including this season just yet ;)).

He’s managed in the Premier League more than I thought he had.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

15 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I would think he’s daft if he has not.   

On the other hand, I think bruce is already past his sell by date.  I don’t understand your faith in him.  

I heard somewhere he has 4 promotions.  Just out of curiosity, how many seasons has he failed to get a championship team promoted

1. For me it's probably the time I have been playing and coaching over the last 40 years or so. I know the impact that losing three key players down the spine of your team has and the effect it has on the rest of the team. Until, Terry went down, and to some effect Samba we were doing okay, and could of caught Cardiff. With Samba going and no really replacement of their quality we are struggling at the back. When your defense is weak the rest of the team feel it and don't perform at their level. Players become unsure and tentative in what they do. This cause errors that shouldn't be happening and the whole team plus fans get on edge. Fans won't see things the same and that's okay, people see things with different lens, but if Bruce is sacked now we won't know who would have been right. Performances haven't been great but we were getting results, the last three games haven't been the case. For me, this stems from not having a solid back four.

2. Not sure and I don't really care, but I do know he has got two teams promoted through the playoff with the last being in 2016.

So had time to evaluate this after yesterday and thought I would think in depth before posting on my position on Bruce.

two weeks in a row and we have made two fatal errors that have cost us. Whelan last week and jedinak this week. Two points in nine which is abysmal.

ok onto to yesterday's game, I blame jedinak fir the points dropped he was dreadful, really dreadful. However Bruce to admit jedinak isn't fit for one then gambling him out of position is absolutely ridiculous. Every time Brice has gambled he has lost. From the gambling of the 3-5-2, to nit playing a recognised striker and then yesterday not playing Hutton de laet or even elphick a natural cb, this is amateur and costing us.

i still think we need to stick with Bruce as the team is still behind him and we are somehow still in the play offs, but if we don't win any of the next three questions have to be asked and I mean serious ones because yes we have had injuries but it was his decision to play a unfit midfielder in defence which cost us.

if I see jedinak at centre back Boxing Day I am convinced Bruce has given up. It's a disaster and Brentford will destroy us.

i also feel he needs to think about changing things. Davis has been pretty woeful last few weeks and is struggling. He is not a natural goal scorer and cannot score goals. We talk about hogan but really how many starts has he had in comparison to Davis? It's time to change it and play to hogans strengths.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Sack Bruce and replace him with Monk or Carvahal. Two managers just sacked for underperforming at their respective clubs and leaving them out of the promotion race.

VillaTalk. Absolutely mental :D 

So, let's say we drop out of the play-off places, which is staring us in the face, at what point do you think we should consider changing the manager, if at all?

• Like 1

Just now, villarocker said:

So, let's say we drop out of the play-off places, which is staring us in the face, at what point do you think we should consider changing the manager, if at all?

I think we will be at that stage next week - get turned over by Bristol city and the atmosphere could change against Bruce big time 

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

The only thing I would change is that I DO have problem playing ugly and winning. It’s not a long mg term strategy for success.  Having said that, I have been willing to tolerate it at times, in hopes it was an intermediary phase in our transition to a football team.  See TRO, I did read and consider your posts.  

But playing ugly and winning is not a strategy.  It’s a consolation.  At least in this day and age.   I’ll be glad for the points next time we win, but winning ugly is still an indication of a club with a poor strategy for success.  

I have never doubted that.....i was only ever looking for anything other that progressive improvement....i never thought instant change was realistic....thats why i supported time and gradual improvement.

.....but this is like a cold we can't shake off.

I know injuries have taken their toll, but its getting worse again.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

If we overlook the technicalities for one moment,  the point i'm trying to make is that the management at that club had the foresight to make that decision.

The question is whether our management can make a similar enough decision. 

They may say they can.....but don't agree.

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

Because if someone has failed, they are sure to fail from then on?   You are aware that Bruce just failed to gain promotion last season, right?   We finished out of the promotion race as I recall.  

Keeping him is equally mental, right?

Well Monk has failed twice in a row now. At two different clubs. 

I’m well aware that Bruce failed last season. He may well fail this season. 

What I do know is sacking him and replacing him with one of two other failing managers wouldn’t be the smartest idea. 

Such is the clamour on here though that there genuinely seems to be this opinion of ANYONE is better than bruce. His is evidence of that. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Where have I said we shouldn’t change the manager?

I dont think we should fwiw. But that’s a different point to the one I was making

Edited by Stevo985

23 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I think all Steve has on his side is results......performances are so low grade, no one will keep hanging around for them.

When the results dry up.....he will be hung out.I fear its not too far away.

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

fixed that for you.

You're welcome!

Cheers for the contribution. 

I support the manager of my football club. That’s not mental  

I dont however think he’s doing a very good job. I can’t emphasise how many times I’ve had to say this. But in general I don’t. 

Just because I don’t want him sacked does not mean I love him. 

The black and white basket case that is this thread can’t seem To comprehend that. But there you go. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m well aware that Bruce failed last season. He may well fail this season. 

What I do know is sacking him and replacing him with one of two other failing managers wouldn’t be the smartest idea. 

Such is the clamour on here though that there genuinely seems to be this opinion of ANYONE is better than bruce. His is evidence of that. 

Thats the danger we fall in to......we have fell for that in the past.

"Nothing can be worse than this".....is the line we roll out in our heads"

but it can be worse and furthermore, many of us have witnessed it.

There is an old saying when changing jobs......always want the job you are going for MORE Than the one you want to leave.

We should want the new manager more than the old one gone....but only the hierarchy can know that of course.

getting rid of Steve Bruce is a job only half done.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

From the Guardian piece on Monk's sacking:

Given that Monk spent around £50m in the summer transfer market there have long been concerns over the team’s mediocre record of only 10 wins in 23 Championship games this season.

Sounds oddly familiar.  By that criterion, has Bruce now failed as well?

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Cheers for the contribution. 

I support the manager of my football club. That’s not mental  

I dont however think he’s doing a very good job. I can’t emphasise how many times I’ve had to say this. But in general I don’t. 

Just because I don’t want him sacked does not mean I love him. 

The black and white basket case that is this thread can’t seem To comprehend that. But there you go. 

We can't afford a manager to not do a good job though. He's been in the job for more than a year now and doing an unsatisfactory job. There's really no reason to keep him.

8 minutes ago, peterms said:

From the Guardian piece on Monk's sacking:

Sounds oddly familiar.  By that criterion, has Bruce now failed as well?

If he doesn’t turn this form around then yes. He’s heading that way. 

Personally I think he will turn it round and we’ll finish in the playoffs. Whether we’ll go up from there I don’t know. 

The article you’ve posted is evidence that sacking a manager who has spent a load of money and is underachieving and replacing him win a manager who has spent a load of money and is underachieving is a bit stupid. 

Just now, Keyblade said:

We can't afford a manager to not do a good job though. He's been in the job for more than a year now and doing an unsatisfactory job. There's really no reason to keep him.

Well there is. 

The reason to keep him is that he’ll probably get us to finish in the playoffs. I know a lot of people here think that is crazy, but I think that is the reality. And from our position the playoffs are our best chance of promotion. 

Sacking him and bringing someone else in is very risky. Obviously if they hit the ground running and get results straight away it would be a brilliant decision. 

I personally think it’s much more likely that sacking a manager liked by the players, followed by further upheaval of players, formations, styles etc will lead to worse results than keeping Bruce. 

Therefore I don’t think we can afford to sack Bruce. 

If an outstanding candidate exists to replace him then I could be swayed. I don’t personally think there is one at the moment. But happy to admit I could be wrong. 

Monk and Carvahal would be monumentally risky. 

• Like 1

Â