Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

Yep, both Bruce and RDM have terrible records at this stage. I think the only reason why Bruce is going to survive for another few days at least is because unlike RDM, we didn't throw away 3 wins in the dying minutes of games.

Would be very happy to be wrong though.

I think he now realises that he sacked RDM too soon. I would rather have given RDM more tome and Bruce less. 10 games was never enough time. Bruce has had 44 games I think and we are still no better than we were under RDM

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

the issue yesterday was again no urgency, lots of ponderous sideways passing and no creativity or movement despite being against ten men, we actually played better with 10 men!

who do we blame for this, if not Bruce?

I hate watching us, my love of football is virtually dead now, supporting this great club that i have loved for 40 years is now like some kind of drug addiction, I know it's not good for me, i know i'll never recreate the highs from my teenage years supporting the Villa, yet still I persist, I don't even have any vain semblance of hope anymore as since MoN stormed out we have had so many managers and players come and go and all we've achieved is the fan base having to lower their expectations every season.

I am grateful for Xia for trying though and i don't despise Bruce at all, I like the guy and who he has brought in (mostly) but the results and the performances speak for themselves and I don't think more time will change anything.

It was better in the second half last night....but we as a team need to find more space to play and move the ball much quicker to deny the opposition the opportunity to close us down.....its all a bit too claustrophobic.

Newcastle last season had a team no better than ours ( on paper)Imo......but their players got away from their opponents better and played unrestricted.

Steve Bruce needs to find away of getting our players to get away from their opponents.

We have the talent, but we are being stifled by teams who are aware of the players we have on paper.

Middlesborough and Brentford were constantly shirt pulling and roughing us up.

We have to find a way of getting our superior talent to show......right now its boxed in.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He didn't sack him too soon, it was clear RDM was a charlatan and needed to be removed.

I don't agree. he did a decent job at Schalke and previously managed west brom and Chelsea. No way can he be called a Charlatan. 

• Like 1

59 points in 42 league games so far under Bruce.

1.4 ppg average.

16 won

11 drawn

15 losses

44 goals scored

45 goals conceded.

This season.

7 from 7.  

1 - 4 - 2

7 scored

9 conceded.

18th in the league...

Edit: 34 points from 29 games in 2017 with 29 goals scored.

Edited by sne

I would love it if the club parts ways with Bruce, but it seems this is not happening in the near future. Bruce will not get us promoted, we will finish mid table, and we will remain in the championship for many years to come.

No matter how much frustration I feel with how the club is going, and that I feel that we are experiencing stagnancy instead of progress, there is not a damn thing I can do about it. No matter how much I whine and stamp my little feet, I am not making the decision to sack or retain him.

Instead, my stance has shifted to acceptance. We are done. Premier League is not happening. Clubs rise and clubs fall, and we are in decline. This does not mean in anyway I am abandoning Villa. I still will watch when I can, and either feel the buzz after a win or go punch the cat after a loss.

I will still hope Villa can find success sooner rather than later. Hope springs eternal, and it is that hope that keeps the torch burning for Villa.

UTV, you beautiful wonderful thing.

• Like 1

I understand the frustration and i see the merits of comments on both sides.

what i personally would like to see in this column, is fans focussing on what Steve Bruce should be doing to get us functioning the way we should.

Its all very well saying he is a **** manager.....but what does that really mean....its just a frustrating exclamation.

We on here need nourishment not punishment.

There are some discening fans on here who, can muster thoughtful debate without getting in to bland nondescript comments.

We can all see that our manager is struggling and positivity is in short supply around VP

I would like to see us get back to proclaiming what We think we need to do to reverse the trend.

Lets be honest there is no right or wrong answer, but it would make for more interesting reading.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

I would love it if the club parts ways with Bruce, but it seems this is not happening in the near future. Bruce will not get us promoted, we will finish mid table, and we will remain in the championship for many years to come.

No matter how much frustration I feel with how the club is going, and that I feel that we are experiencing stagnancy instead of progress, there is not a damn thing I can do about it. No matter how much I whine and stamp my little feet, I am not making the decision to sack or retain him.

Instead, my stance has shifted to acceptance. We are done. Premier League is not happening. Clubs rise and clubs fall, and we are in decline. This does not mean in anyway I am abandoning Villa. I still will watch when I can, and either feel the buzz after a win or go punch the cat after a loss.

I will still hope Villa can find success sooner rather than later. Hope springs eternal, and it is that hope that keeps the torch burning for Villa.

Maybe you're right, sadly. My worry will then become sustaining our place in the Championship, genuinely. Even if we don't breach FFP, we will have to sifnificantly cut back, thus worsening the squad (or relying on youth). Or if we do breach, we could get transfer bans and / or a points deduction. 

Acceptance may be the only way, but it may turn out even worse than described above. 

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I understand the frustration and i see the merits of comments on both sides.

what i personally would like to see in this column, is fans focussing on what Steve Bruce should be foing to get us functioning the way we should.

Its all very well saying he is a **** manager.....but what does that really mean....its just a frustrating exclamation.

We on here need nourishment not punishment.

There are some discening fans on here who, can muster thoughtful debate without getting in to bland nondescript comments.

We can all see that our manager is struggling and positivity is in short supply around VP

I would like yo see us get back to proclaiming what We think we need to do to reverse the trend.

Lets be honest there is no right or wrong answer, but it would make for more interesting reading.

I hope you are not doing the Hokey Cokey again on Bruce tro - in , out, in out , shake it all about ;) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AJ said:

Sometimes these things arrive when you least expect them.....remember the adage when we were young, you go out looking for a bird and no go.....but when you least expect it .i.e work etc.....you pull.

i think these under 23's are a better quality than what we have had in the last 7 years or so.....I think they could be the catalyst to change our fortunes....not sure when is the right time....but i would have O'Hare and Doyle Hayes featuring now.

They have to learn the physical side,but they cannot be kept in cotton wool forever.

i believe we will come back, not sure when.

Steve Bruce needs to release himself from the  burden of pressure and in doing so release the players from it too and go out make our superior player reputations count.

We need to get that swagger back and get the opposition to chase the game.

at the moment Goliath is getting the run around by David.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, mrjc said:

Maybe you're right, sadly. My worry will then become sustaining our place in the Championship, genuinely. Even if we don't breach FFP, we will have to sifnificantly cut back, thus worsening the squad (or relying on youth). Or if we do breach, we could get transfer bans and / or a points deduction. 

Acceptance may be the only way, but it may turn out even worse than described above. 

Exactly. This was why promotion was the bar that has been set, and this is our fate if we don't get promotion. The fogies in the team will move on, and there will be very limited funds to replace them. Hopefully, the kids will do fine.

I feel its too late now. We could hope that Steve Bruce turns it around, but we have already lost pace with the front runners, and his tactics and player choices don't inspire a lot of confidence in that.

By the time Bruce is sacked, the new guy is going to have to be some sort of wizard to dig us out of the hole that Steve and the gang have dug.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I hope you are not doing the Hokey Cokey again on Bruce tro - in , out, in out , shake it all about ;) 

No, No.....i just can't see the point of just slagging the bloke off.

The bruce outers are better than that......we can all see what they are saying and its right.

but as some other posters have said, it may not be that foregone and all we are doing is winding ourselves up.

i am merely saying.....stay positive and just report what you think he should be doing.

on another note....i have a concern of how to circumnavigate the poor refereeing in this division its shocking what is let go as acceptable.

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

Exactly. This was why promotion was the bar that has been set, and this is our fate if we don't get promotion. The fogies in the team will move on, and there will be very limited funds to replace them. Hopefully, the kids will do fine.

I feel its too late now. We could hope that Steve Bruce turns it around, but we have already lost pace with the front runners, and his tactics and player choices don't inspire a lot of confidence in that.

By the time Bruce is sacked, the new guy is going to have to be some sort of wizard to dig us out of the hole that Steve and the gang have dug.

Its not too late.

but just have to start winning, its that simple.

8 minutes ago, AJ said:

Sadly, its looking like the only way these talented kids will get in is by default.

O'Hare and Doyle Hayes have the feet and passing ability, not to mention the urgency and desire...to be valuable assets to our game.

our seniors seem to be unable to muster little threaded balls through to the strikers, but these kids can.

I understand the process of development, but Steve needs to try and be braver with them.

This under 23 outfit need to be encouraged and they must not feel like a second team that is going unnoticed, because they arguably better than the first.

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

He picks poor teams consistently, Bacuna at home at Hull the first example.  He changes teams too often, messing around with formations too much. A year on he still has no idea what formation to play, or the style of football. He buys players with specific attributes but doesn't play them in any way that benefits them. He cannot change a game, he consistently gets out thought by other managers who will make a change that swings a game in their favour whilst Bruce just spins a dice on a double 70th minute substitution. He isn't pro-active (last night really surprised me), his football is needlessly negative and dull, he doesn't get the best out of his players and his tactics are shite.

• Like 1

They talk of stability, problem is we are already struggling with FFP if we don't go up I expect the squad will need to be cut and we will need to rebuild again , how is that stable ..at the very least both Samba and Terry are gone at the end of the season so thats 2 cbs to find cash for . I'd expect if Kodjia comes back scoring and we are still struggling come Jan clubs will be after him and I doubt we will be in a position to refuse .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sometimes these things arrive when you least expect them.....remember the adage when we were young, you go out looking for a bird and no go.....but when you least expect it .i.e work etc.....you pull.

i think these under 23's are a better quality than what we have had in the last 7 years or so.....I think they could be the catalyst to change our fortunes....not sure when is the right time....but i would have O'Hare and Doyle Hayes featuring now.

They have to learn the physical side, they cannot be kept in cotton wool forever.

i believe we will come back, not sure when.

Steve Bruce needs to release himself from the  burden of pressure and in doing so release the players from it too and go out make our superior player reputations count.

We need to get that swagger back and get the opposition to chase the game.

at the moment Goliath is getting the run around by David.

Hope is a wonderful thing. You go to bed shitty about another dire performance, and you wake up and shovel handfuls of hope back in your pockets, and it doesn't cost a cent.

Experience, however is the guide. When you experience and see the same thing over and over, hope gives way to that experience.

With what you described happening, that would be nice, but there is more chance of discovered footage of a threesome involving Barbara Streisand, Boy George and an ewok on a backpacking holiday from Endor.

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Ohhh, so we " created chances " and "should've won".

Well, yes. 

You played against 10 men for practically 90 minutes wouldn't it have been odd NOT to have created chances ?

And yes Steve, you SHOULD have won.

He is the King of "would've, could've, should've".

I didn't watch the game and have only just watched the highlights...

...but, **** me, we didn't half miss some decent chances there.  I can't comment on the general performance, obviously, but it definitely seems like the players let us down last night?

Â