Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Neither does it "do us any favours" if the players deliberately throw a match, which was the absurd suggestion I was commenting on.

Wow. You're just making things up. And hilariously have the audacity to compare other posts to Donald Trump. 

Fake news man. Fake news. 

Edited by DCJonah

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I could have f***** told you Brentford would press high up the pitch and not allow any of our midfielders to dictate the game from deep. It's what they f****** did last season to us when they battered us at their place.
I could have also told you their ginger player would get the ball off their back 4 and start to dictate the game. I knew it, Brentford knew it, the fans knew it. Our manager didn't.

Why not play a 4-4-2, and ask one of the strikers to drop off and get as close to their DMC whenever he showed for the ball, that would mean they knock it long to one of the best headers of the ball in the league in JT, and we win possession back?

I hardly even watch/like football and I've told you how to get the upper hand against a bankrupt team sitting bottom of the league.

Steve Bruce hasn't got a clue. No matter what team he picks, we will never succeed as there is no game plan and no desire to study the opposition before the game and dictate the style of play in that game. He's a dinosaur and I genuinely think he's arrogant enough to the point where he thinks he doesn't need to do the homework on the opposition. If it fails, change the team and hope it works. There is no system and no gameplan. Ever.

The last manager I saw at Villa who actually had a gameplan and a strategy was MON. Ultimately, his gameplan could only take us to 5th/6th place as it was reliant on counter attacking football but at least every player knew exactly what they were doing and what their job was. Remember Cuellar at RB? It used to infuriate me, but you know what, he had a job in that team as a defender and to defend. We play a different RB every week and whoever plays there doesn't seem to have a clue what he is supposed to be doing.

Honestly, we're going nowhere under Bruce. We have a decent squad (I don't think it is the best in the league) that should finish in the play-offs but we'll finish closer to the bottom three than the top three with Bruce at the helm. He's taking all the fun out of watching Villa as there is simply nothing enjoyable about our style of play.

Do we dictate possession? No. Do we counter attack? No. Do we press high, win the ball back early and attack from the front? No. Do we score off set pieces? No. 
We do NOTHING.

F***** joke. F*** you, Bruce. 

Got a lot of time for posts like that. 

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think anyone who wants the steve bruce experiment to continue struggles to grasp reality, is thinking very short term or loves steve bruce. 

Short term pain for the promise of better things. As others have pointed out it certainly doesn't mean you're not a fan. If anything it shows what you'd put yourself through for the prospect of things getting better. 

Sort of.

And anyone wanting Aston Villa to lose tonight isn't being a Villa fan, but anti-Steve Bruce.  Personally, I'd rather they both succeeded.

As it stands, I don't think Steve Bruce is the right man for us - but I still want us to spank Boro 5-0 or something.  I do not understand, for one minute, any rational behind actively wanting your side to lose.  Football has gone mad.

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Briny, if you cherry pick quotes, highlight soundbites, and ignore the passionate reasoning behind individual posters numerous posts on the subject, you distort the discussion.

Do you see what I've done with your post? You now sound like you're hoping for a Villa loss. That was never your intention so I apologise for distorting your view.  Claims and assumptions about hoping that the players "throw the match" were also a distortion of what posters actually said.

I respect your right to hold your own opinions, although I don't agree with you.

Well this is s reasonable post so deserves a reply even though I've left the thread!

First, I don't really see that the quote you've highlighted suggests I want Mbro to win - more that I think someone else does.

However, you are using this example to suggest I am cherry picking. I don't think I am: my first intervention was to quote the whole of a post from someone who said this was the perfect opportunity for the players to throw the match to get Bruce sacked. I hope I don't need to explain why that is an outrageous and ridiculous suggestion, but I have responded to one or two people who came in to defend it.

The problem here seems to be that quite a few posters have convinced themselves that if Villa lose tonight Bruce will be sacked and, if he is sacked, a wonderful new manager will be appointed and all will be well.

Nobody knows if the first point is true. We could just be left with an even more demoralised team and an even more nervous and cautious manager. And the second belief is a total leap of faith. We have had six managers on the past 30 months (and it seems like as many squads) and things have got progressively worse, not better. There is no guarantee that a new manager will turn things round, particularly since there is little sign so far that the new club board know what sort of manager and players they want and what strategy to developing the club on the pitch we should have. Without that we just blunder from bad appointment to bad appointment.

And yet on these shifting sands a number of posters - hopefully not representative of the Villa fans at large - have whipped themselves up to a desire - however extensively and passionately argued it is, that boils down to wanting Villa to lose tonight. That's not to cherry pick - it's just the bottom line of what people want.

In all my years as a  Villa fan I have never wanted the team to lose a match and I never will. Nor will I ever accept that  any line of reasoning could ever legitimately lead a fan to wish for a defeat. 

That's my red line and when others who argue they are Villa fans cross it, they will be criticised by me.

Or not, because now I am leaving this ridiculous, deluded thread again.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Sort of.

And anyone wanting Aston Villa to lose tonight isn't being a Villa fan, but anti-Steve Bruce.  Personally, I'd rather they both succeeded.

As it stands, I don't think Steve Bruce is the right man for us - but I still want us to spank Boro 5-0 or something.  I do not understand, for one minute, any rational behind actively wanting your side to lose.  Football has gone mad.

The only rational is that it gives hope that things can improve under someone eles. But that only comes down to if he is sacked. 

I won't be cheering a boro goal but if we lose and Bruce is sacked tomorrow i'll be glad we lost. 

• Like 1

I can't believe anyone would genuinely  want us to lose to make sure he gets the chop.  that just seems odd, any decision to dismiss should be made on his full record with us and not one result.   That said his record so far isn't great and the style of football atrocious.  

That said i have no faith that the above is the case with Wyness and crew.   

I think Bruce sets up up not to lose tonight in the hope that he steals a 1-0 win and saves his job. 

IMO he should be dismissed regardless of tonight's result. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Steve Bruce hasn't got a clue. No matter what team he picks, we will never succeed as there is no game plan and no desire to study the opposition before the game and dictate the style of play in that game. He's a dinosaur and I genuinely think he's arrogant enough to the point where he thinks he doesn't need to do the homework on the opposition. If it fails, change the team and hope it works. There is no system and no gameplan. Ever.

This pretty much sums Bruce up. He also plays not to lose rather than playing to win.

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Of the many ridiculous recent posts in this thread, that is head and shoulders above the rest. 

You SERIOUSLY think the players should try to lose tonight to satisfy the desire of some people to see the manager go?

What will you do if we score a couple of goals? Start booing because they are failing to down tools? Start cheering for Middlesbrough?

Or maybe a complete ridiculous misunderstood overreaction to my post more like.:rolleyes:

I didn't suggest they should do it. I stated we will see if Bruce has lost the dressing room by how the players play and react tonight. That was abundantly clear in my post.

As to the last part of your post it doesn't even deserve an explanation.

• Like 3

He also says lots of posters have convinced themselves Bruce will he sacked if we lose, leading to irrational views.

Whereas I've seen nobody say that, nobody at all !!

People have said that IF us getting beat led to .... etc etc.

But I've pointed that out three times to no avail.

Frothers got to froth

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Or maybe a complete ridiculous misunderstood overreaction to my post more like.:rolleyes:

I didn't suggest they should do it. I stated we will see if Bruce has lost the dressing room by how the players play and react tonight. That was abundantly clear in my post.

As to the last part of your post it doesn't even deserve an explanation.

It will be interesting to see if the players tonight have the passion you possess - I feel if we concede early it could be a long night and this site will be very lively later tonight .  

On 10/09/2017 at 14:43, AntrimBlack said:

Xia needs to replace Wyness, in my opinion, before he will make any real progress, but that will be more difficult than replacing a manager.

Why? Ive heard people saying this and the same for Round but why? RDM was allegedly appointed by Xia and when it looked like we wouldn't go up they appointed Bruce. Now at the time even if You hated him you can argue it was a horses for courses appointment. Hopefully with thus Villa Engine being pushed so much our next manager will fit in with this philosophy. 

I'd like us to to win tonight and then go on a run to put us back in the top 6 in short order. Weirdly, I seem to be in a minority! Say what you will about Bruce but he has got far worse sides that this out of the league. If we can improve he should stay. 

That being said I'd also like Bruce to go if we lose. Its that big a game for him - yet another big night for out football club.

7 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

I'd like us to to win tonight and then go on a run to put us back in the top 6 in short order. Weirdly, I seem to be in a minority! Say what you will about Bruce but he has got far worse sides that this out of the league. If we can improve he should stay. 

That being said I'd also like Bruce to go if we lose. Its that big a game for him - yet another big night for out football club.

I think everyone wants that. But being realistic it looks like there's no chance of it happening. 

Â