Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I wonder how we will set up for the next match. 

Bruce infuriates me. 

Well Jedi should be fit so I do hope he doesn't play 2 holding players at home to Brentford but it would not surprise me .

3 hours ago, TRO said:

You just lose your best player and whistle a happy tune.....yeah fantasy land.

these people are big misses, just that bit the change a game.

I think you are right, we see things differently.......some things the same, yeah.

does Steve Bruce have an idea what he is doing.....I am not sure what that really means.....He is he looking for answers, yeah, I think so......has he a divine right to win every game, I don't think so.....Has he good enough players, On paper for sure, on the pitch, not so far......can he influence it, more at Bodymoor than on match day......does he think he knows whats wrong, I would hope so else he wouldn't continue to buy players.

but hey, I guess we both disagree with all that.

Sorry mate

Broken record = excuses

You state the "Benteke missing" = "Kodjia missing" arguement.

Lambert had Benteke and Gaby/Bent as back up (both were shot by then) and nobody coming through. 

Bruce has had Kodjia AND McC (12mill) AND Hogan (15mill) Gestede and Davis & RHM coming through

Benteke had Delph and Cleverley as a supply line (Hutton Westwood Gardner and Bacuna too)

Bruce has Green Grealish Adomah Hourihane Lansbury Elmo Onomah to supply 27mill worth of talent - Snodgrass on the way and a lower level of opposition.

Sorry mate but neither you or Bruce have a leg to stand on.

So many have stated on here that Bruce has 4 promotions

others have compared his tenure here to his (completed) tenure at Sunderland.

So please answer me one question - as Bruce is capable of doing promotion from this league AND capable of trading a squad of players that had only 1 eventual destiny, relegation.

Which one of the above looks more likely for us?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

Fair enough but I don't agree. 

Thatd mean after 11 games we'd have 17 points.

A reasonable guide is 2 points per game finishing on 92.

Therefore we would be a side that's averaged 1.54 points per game in our first eleven needing to average 2.14 (!!!!!!) for the rest of the season !!!

No chance !!

Your maths doesn't take into account the sample size. After 11 games and 17 points we would be 5 points below average. After 23 games and 1.54 ppg we would be 11 points below the average. 34 games at 1.54 ppg is 16 below average. To gain 5 points over 35 games is nothing. 16 points below the 2ppg average with 12 games left is a totally different story. 

Edited by Made In Aston

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The kodjia injury is a set back. But has any other championship manager had £10/12 million to spend on a back up striker?

Yet he complains he's restricted and the media buy it.

He has an embarrassment of riches with the squad at his disposal compared to other clubs in this league .

How much has warnock spent in comparison and he came into his job at the same time as Bruce and in a worse position - the one who cannot handle the expectation of a big club is Steve Bruce - he failed at Sunderland and he failed at villa - similar to Lambert a man who can only cut it as a manager at small clubs .

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Your maths doesn't take into account the sample size. After 11 games and 17 points we would be 5 points below average. After 23 games and 1.54 ppg we would be 11 points below the average. 34 games at 1.54 ppg is 16 below average. To gain 5 points over 35 games is nothing. 16 points below the 2ppg average with 12 games left is a totally different story. 

My maths does exactly what I wanted it to do thanks !!

If you wish to add thoughts of your own be my guest.

Voujd just as easily say 5 points off as a proportion of the 22 we should have after 11 games is huge.

As I say I've made the point as it concerns me.

Edited by terrytini

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

So we are just as reliant on Kodjia as we were a year ago.

So we've signed 13 or 14 players under Bruce but haven't improved.

So what is the point of Bruce?

I think any teams best player will be missed.....was you expecting one to replace Kodjia?

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think any teams best player will be missed.....was you expecting one to replace Kodjia?

But if we had kodjia, you'd use Jedinak as the excuse. 

If he can't adjust the best squad in the league to adapt to losing one player then is he really as good as you think he is?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

Bruce without Kodja

10 games, 11 goals, 10 Points.

Relegation Form.

There is a difference between " missing" a player and being totally useless without him.

As I said - this isn't just 'missing' a player ... it's being totally dependent upon him because it's all Bruce has.

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

The expectations of Huddersfield when Wagner took over were to stabilise, whereas Bruce was brought in to get Villa promoted.

Wagner succeeded in his initial task, Bruce didn't. In his second season - 5 games in, Huddersfield were sitting top of the league, where are Aston Villa? 18th and 1 point off the relegation zone!

I'm not sure what point you are trying to achieve here, other than what a proper manager can do with a preseason.. actually I'm sure that's the same comparison you were using when you were adamant all Bruce needed was a preseason with the players  - by using Wagner as an example 

I wasn't referring to  wagner exclusively as an example of pre season preparation.....common sense dictated.

wagner is a bit ahead of Bruce in terms of development, but i guess you are using convenient comparisons.....lets see at the end of the season.

what point i am trying to acheive is to give a manager a chance to turn around a broken team and allow some give and take to get it right after turning over so many players.

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

As I said - this isn't just 'missing' a player ... it's being totally dependent upon him because it's all Bruce has.

Scary thing is he's signed so many players and he's totally dependent on two players the useless RDM signed

Ridiculous really. 

So useless his own players aren't as important as players he inherited. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I wasn't referring to  wagner exclusively as an example of pre season preparation.....common sense dictated.

wagner is a bit ahead of Bruce in terms of development, but i guess you are using convenient comparisons.....lets see at the end of the season.

what point i am trying to acheive is to give a manager a chance to turn around a broken team and allow some give and take to get it right after turning over so many players.

Understatement of the century :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Sorry mate

Broken record = excuses

You state the "Benteke missing" = "Kodjia missing" arguement.

Lambert had Benteke and Gaby/Bent as back up (both were shot by then) and nobody coming through. 

Bruce has had Kodjia AND McC (12mill) AND Hogan (15mill) Gestede and Davis & RHM coming through

Benteke had Delph and Cleverley as a supply line (Hutton Westwood Gardner and Bacuna too)

Bruce has Green Grealish Adomah Hourihane Lansbury Elmo Onomah to supply 27mill worth of talent - Snodgrass on the way and a lower level of opposition.

Sorry mate but neither you or Bruce have a leg to stand on.

So many have stated on here that Bruce has 4 promotions

others have compared his tenure here to his (completed) tenure at Sunderland.

So please answer me one question - as Bruce is capable of doing promotion from this league AND capable of trading a squad of players that had only 1 eventual destiny, relegation.

Which one of the above looks more likely for us?

Equally Gh?....broken record.

when his job is finished for now and he gets all the players and injured ones back and we still can't do it......then it may take another visit.

but not now, no sorry.

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

Tro , you strike me a good decent man and I like reading your opiNions , however after the reading game you reluctantly accepted that Bruce was not the man for the job any longer - what has changed since then to make you swing back in his favour ? 

Granted we won 2 home games which were impressive but why of why would he then change formation on Friday losing the momentum those wins had gained us ? 

I was affected by both the cardiff and reading games and i share the disappointment.

I said that if he keeps this up he will be gone.....i stand by that.

he needs wins, but equally knee jerk is not a prudent reaction.

We excusably judge him on what we see on match day, the hierarchy see a lot more.

Its a results business, even when you as manager are trying to build strength.

I am not sure what the majority of fans who want him gone.....actually want, because at present it isn't going to happen.

He seems to be 3 games away from it......what then another round of pot luck?

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do wonder why the likes of Leeds, Wolves and Cardiff can have new managers and the team eventually have a style of play which shows improvement.  My Leeds supporter mate things they will win the league. 

Why doesn't it ever happen like this for us? 

All of those teams have had loads of failures too.

And loads of other teams have changed Managers with no obvious improvement.

Its just a crap shoot. 

Spmetimes you get lucky, often you don't.

We will get lucky eventually as long as we aren't afraid to keep trying until we get someone that clicks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

The kodjia injury is a set back. But has any other championship manager had £10/12 million to spend on a back up striker?

Yet he complains he's restricted and the media buy it.

So the media are all fools.....ok another dimension to consider.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

So we can wait till the end of the season to judge him?

Well open your ears to this

IF Bruce (or anyone who succeeds him this season) doesnt get us promoted the following could happen as a domino effect

So a few questions for you

1 - ffp <-> parachute payments <-> what Tony can/is prepared to invest?

2 - Our Squad players staying/leaving for PL clubs or conracts over (loan or contracts run out)

GK - SJ -> ManU Bunn ?

1-Steer

RB - Hutton ? RDL -> PL

2-Bree

LB - Taylor -> PL

3-?

CB - Chester->PL Terry->? Elphick?

4-Richards

5-Samba

DM Jedi & Whelan both getting older

6-Whelan/Jedi

RW - Adomah/Elmo stay or go ? - Snodgrass loan->WH

7-Adomah/Elmo ?

AM - Onomah ->Spuds - Lansbury/Hourihane stay or go?

8/10 Lansbury Hourihane Thor Grealish

CF Kodjia WILL NOT stay

9 - Hogan McC Gaby (new contract?) Davis RHM

11 - Green

That squad will struggle to get top half

--------------------------------------------

So you want to put all that in the hands of a manager who after 40 games, 2 transfer windows and a preseason, gets 2 wins in a row (8-3 goals F/A) with 4 at the back then changes to 3 at the back wasting a sub, a whole half to adjust and the initiative to a club who we should already be in a different league to.

I dont think one could be more wrong even if one tried.

Â