Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It's impossible to say.

Thats the point.

But you don't keep one just because you don't know how the next will do.

Keep Bruce because you believe in him, yes. But if you don't believe he's right then the "who's next" question doesn't matter.

As you yourself rightly point out, Sir Ron was magnificent for us, but not subsequently, GT was great, then awful. Brian Little did well here - then what ?

Whether or not an appointment works is largely luck.

So whoever we get might work, and might not.

and do you know what Terry, I totally agree with that.

and I am not prepared to take the risk of taking us right back to square one for the sake of some patience in letting all these players gel.

most of these teams we are playing have been together much longer and are tweaking here and there.

I see flaws in our play you see, but I am less inclined to blame the manager directly more indirectly, but he needs to work on getting it right.....if he was happy, he would not be bringing in Snodgrass.

one of our main difficulties is player consistency......we have very few players, who give us that.....great one week flat the next, that is difficult for any manager to deal with.

Its clear at present our away form is the nemesis and transforming us from a top team to average.....He is trying to find a solution.

I like you get frustrated and disagree with him on things, but I might disagree with the next manager on something else and the next.

He is the manager, He has to find a way to get us to win games.....what he says in interviews is irrelevant, blimey even Roy Keane was ridiculing Jose the other day.

If a fan, don't like Steve Bruce, he possibly never will.

I think we still have issues, but I think we are getting stronger, but its slow, However I see things in players, I am geneuinely not sure I would blame Steve Bruce for ....particularly Directly.

There are many facets to a manager and some are better that others.

I think Steve Bruce has bought well, but right now its not manifesting itself on to the pitch, we need to be patient......some of these teams we are facing have and are doing well......Wolves doing Southampton.....Hull ane not suddenly the unfancied team of the first game of the season.....Warnock has a good start, but might run out of physical steam.

Its a marathon , not a sprint.....and we have 2 key players who give us most of our consistency ..out injured

despite what the majority on here say, if we sacked Steve Bruce now, we would look so, so stupid......and desperate to boot.

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Terry,Terry, Terry

They have a few seconds in an interview......what managers do all that anyway?......and you have answered your own question by adding " I'm not saying he should do all of that".....He can't say some of the stuff as it affects too many other people and their careers.

I have had intimate conversations with our managers of the past and they haven't done that either.

I was at the shareholders meeting , when criticism of Ron Atkinson was doing the rounds ably fueled by HDE when Ron aptly and nonchalantly pointed to League cup sitting proudly on the table.....as if to say, whats that scotch mist.

All our managers have had detractors, John Gregory, even Ron Saunders......blimey you could pick flies out of the European cup final performance, if anyone was brave enough.

I do not think this group of senior managers at Villa Park would allow Steve Bruce to keep aquiring players if they thought it was unnecessay.

I'm simply pointing out what I would regard as "answering criticism" which is how you described the tripe he's been spouting the last 5 weeks.

As I said, not for a minute am I suggesting he SHOULD say those things, I'm just saying those are comments that would constitute answers to criticism.

It wasn't me who said he WAS answering criticism, nor do I particularly think he should.

On my view if he's nothing motivational, constructive, or positive to say, I'd prefer him to keep his mouth shut.

What I object to is he is doing neither.

Im sick of hearing him running down the character of our players, and recently the character of the fans, and sick of the rest of what is becoming a tired and rather embarrassing script. He is blaming everyone but himself for  what is a poor performance over 10 months.

43 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Fair enough to Defend yourself but don't talk bollocks though like he is doing - he is being judged on the last 40 games not the last 2 games as he made out .

The last season was his first stint in charge,handed a batton from 2 busted runners..... he then lost his best 2 over xmas hardly ideal .... it was a mess......and you are conveniently going to include those games in an appraissal.

I am not saying its great at present, but its work in progress......yes still.

I guess you will just have to deal with it.

And I see we are now back to " players out injured"

Honestly you couldn't make it up.

Nearly a year in, with this squad, it shouldn't matter if we've 6 players out.

But it DOES matter, because he is incapable of developing a style where we are NOT dependent upon a good DM and a solo goal machine.

Nah. Not having it. 

• Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

The last season was his first stint in charge,handed a batton from 2 busted runners..... he then lost his best 2 over xmas hardly ideal .... it was a mess......and you are conveniently going to include those games in an appraissal.

I am not saying its great at present, but its work in progress......yes still.

I guess you will just have to deal with it.

What a litany of lame excuses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I'm simply pointing out what I would regard as "answering criticism" which is how you described the tripe he's been spouting the last 5 weeks.

As I said, not for a minute am I suggesting he SHOULD say those things, I'm just saying those are comments that would constitute answers to criticism.

It wasn't me who said he WAS answering criticism, nor do I particularly think he should.

On my view if he's nothing motivational, constructive, or positive to say, I'd prefer him to keep his mouth shut.

What I object to is he is doing neither.

Im sick of hearing him running down the character of our players, and recently the character of the fans, and sick of the rest of what is becoming a tired and rather embarrassing script. He is blaming everyone but himself for  what is a poor performance over 10 months.

Rightly or wrongly i think he is an honest and emotional character, who wears his heart on his sleeve.....to his fault.

you maybe right, probably says too much......but that will not influence me, when i see a player failing to get in front of his man, slow off the mark, over cooking a pass that leads to a missed opportunity or failing to close an opponent down.....thats what i am looking at, not some interview to call his comments nonsense, when in most cases the questions are anyway.

He may be working on all that above at training, but they don't do it......we must remember there are 2 teams playing.

We need to keep our perspective and not sweat the small stuff.

15 minutes ago, terrytini said:

But it DOES matter, because he is incapable of developing a style where we are NOT dependent upon a good DM and a solo goal machine.

Nah. Not having it. 

If you think we are not or supposed to not miss Kodjia......I'm not sure what to say.......the other fella has hardly played in a defeat either.

It was ok for us to be missing Benteke and such an accepted stance on that......but not Kodjia.

OK

Edited by TRO

I'm still so disappointed in Bruce for the starting line up on Friday. Talk about ruining the confidence from the previous performances. We should have just continued where we left off. Yes we have an atrocious record away from home, so let's actually try and win the game.

Another thing that annoyed me was that he said after the game that there were 5 19 yr olds out on the pitch for us at the end. No there wasn't there was only 4 at one time. Onomah is his signing as is Bree so surely he can't moan about them! Plus they look better than the other players. 

Thing is though I'm not convinced by any of the suggestions to replace him

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrytini said:

If somebody had foretold our results, performances, and 'progress' in advance of his being appointed I don't think anyone would've said " yes please, we will  have that".

I guess you could say that about Wagner when he first came to Huddersfield?

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Nah. Not having it. 

That excuse started before the season had started, when Grealish got injured.

• Like 3

Well september is massive, and whilst we actually have quite a few games to play it should (on paper at least) be one of our easier months.

6 games, 4 at home. All against teams that will more than likely finish mid table-bottom half (maybe not boro)

September 9: Brentford (h)
September 12: Middlesbrough (h)
September 16: Barnsley (a)
September 23: Nottingham Forest (h)
September 26: Burton Albion (a)
September 30: Bolton Wanderers (h)

Win 4 or 5 of these and it could create some great momentum going forwards. Any less than 10 points and bruce should be looking for a new job

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

If you think we are not or supposed to not miss Kodjia......I'm not sure what to say.......the other fella has hardly played in a defeat either.

It was ok for us to be missing Benteke and such an accepted stance on that......but not Kodjia.

OK

It's not whether it's "ok to miss him" it's just SO clear that he's all Bruce has.

Sorry TRO I just don't know how to debate this with you we clearly  just don't see things the same way fair enough.

And by the way I never thought missing Tekkers was anything more than an excuse for poor managers either. So not sure why you have implied I'm a hypocrite ?

I no longer have any faith at all that Bruce has the slightest idea what he's doing. 

It happens.

Good managers don't always succeed - and he's not even one of the best, he's just another Manager.

I don't hold it against him that he's not working, it just happens, but it's not working.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Do you know what TRO ?

I absolutely couldn't care less about Huddersfield. 

My point remains.

So if you knew Bruce would perform how he has, get the results he has, and make the progress he has, would you have appointed him ?

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Tro , you strike me a good decent man and I like reading your opiNions , however after the reading game you reluctantly accepted that Bruce was not the man for the job any longer - what has changed since then to make you swing back in his favour ? 

Granted we won 2 home games which were impressive but why of why would he then change formation on Friday losing the momentum those wins had gained us ? 

8 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Well september is massive, and whilst we actually have quite a few games to play it should (on paper at least) be one of our easier months.

6 games, 4 at home. All against teams that will more than likely finish mid table-bottom half (maybe not boro)

September 9: Brentford (h)
September 12: Middlesbrough (h)
September 16: Barnsley (a)
September 23: Nottingham Forest (h)
September 26: Burton Albion (a)
September 30: Bolton Wanderers (h)

Win 4 or 5 of these and it could create some great momentum going forwards. Any less than 10 points and bruce should be looking for a new job

A joke surely ?

Anything less than 10 points from 6 games ?

10 would mean 15 from 11 games or 1.36 a game which would project to 62 points and league position same as last year !!!!

And that's with 4 home games !!

Target has to be 15 points Minimum.

That gives 20 from 11 and leaves us needing 70 from 35.

He just isn't going to come close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

A joke surely ?

Anything less than 10 points from 6 games ?

10 would mean 15 from 11 games or 1.36 a game which would project to 62 points and league position same as last year !!!!

And that's with 4 home games !!

Target has to be 15 points Minimum.

That gives 20 from 11 and leaves us needing 70 from 35.

He just isn't going to come close.

Obviously 15 would be preferable but if he took 12 points from those 6 games then realistically I think he would keep his job at the end of September .

i think 12 points from those 6 would see us around the top 6 come the end of September and that must be the bare minimum expected .

Â