Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

We also got knocked out the cup by a league 2 team and 3 of those 5 RDM got were against the one of the worst teams in championship history. RDM won 0 of the following 5 so let's see what Bruce does over the next 5 games

That Norwich win is looking pretty similar to that Rotherham win right about now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, momo said:

With the cup games, I would say that this is okay for now. Just barely okay. It is not the first 2 games that wins you promotion. It's a marathon, and we will have to wait and see.

As I said, I expect more from the players after the international break. Especially since Brucie has got his players in, like Terry, Elmohamady and Snodgrass.

I could just about - JUST - agree IF it wasn't for the fact that most everything we've seen replicates Bruce last season , which we know was inadequate for promotion.

In other words there is no discernible reason, other than simple faith, to think what is to follow will be any better than what's gone.

The biggest concern must surely be that we cobble along just doing enough to stay in touch with play - off places ( how hard can it be to stay in touch with 6th ffs !) until it's too late to actually achieve anything.

Theres just one question. 

Have we seen enough to be at least reasonably confident he will get us at least 2 points per game now over 41 games.

Not " has done it before" or " only 3games" of " ffp" or Kodja injured or " Bristol on a Friday is tough " or whatever, but purely on what we see ?

Not in a million years.

• Like 2

The problem with Bruce is that we simply can't win away. Obviously this was a problem that was here before he came along but he hasn't been able to rectify it at all. Relative to our home form, our away form is arguably worse than in our relegation season.

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

what a terrible team he put out. 2 wins on the bounce looking up and playing well then he got a nose bleed. No time for this clown

To give Bruce no credit at all after 2 wins and 8 goals would probably be a little harsh, but reverting to type is exactly what we all predicted after the Wigan game. 

The line up to start with yesterday was a joke. RDL was my man of the match against Wigan. James Bree also looked the part yet Bruce decided to play Samba, a bloke that was shot to pieces years ago to play along side 2 other blokes that aren't blessed with pace. 

Then the decision to swap Davis for Hogan was both baffling and spineless in equal measures. The game was crying out for 2 strikers and he bottled it. He could have swapped Green for Hogan and moved Hurihane to the left, he could have even swapped Gabby for Green (who i thought was crap), but his negative ways kicked in like we all knew they would. This squad of players should walk this league. With this plonker in charge we will be lucky to make the play offs. 

Shocking set up, shocking in game management, shocking Manager. 

He needs to go. 

15 minutes ago, momo said:

Well, I see positive signs. As stated above, the kids are doing well. It could be worse, like 0 points ;)

The kids doing well is great but on its own it hardly constitutes an okay start to the season. Sure it could be worse but the reality is if it were any worse he would probably have gone which kind of says it all.

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He ain't going to get sacked. I think we need to accept that and hope we can scrape play offs. 

My concern is that because our squads excellent we will pick up odd results keeping him in the job and then ruin the chance of promotion as we will ultimately fail with him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My concern is that because our squads excellent we will pick up odd results keeping him in the job and then ruin the chance of promotion as we will ultimately fail with him. 

Looking at all the results today Cardiff aside everyone is dropping points. It's a strong league but we should still make play offs even with Bruce in charge. 

Cardiffs run won't last. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looking at all the results today Cardiff aside everyone is dropping points. It's a strong league but we should still make play offs even with Bruce in charge. 

Cardiffs run won't last. 

Why? Why should we, our form under him in the duration of his tenure hasn't been good enough to suggest this and we don't seem to be improving.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Why? Why should we, our form under him in the duration of his tenure hasn't been good enough to suggest this and we don't seem to be improving.

True but looking at this seasons games alone I think we should be on 7 points which is currently a point of play offs.( should have comfortably beaten Hull.)We have last seasons top scorer to return and about to sign a top player at this level in Snodgrass. 

Teams such as Boro, Sunderland, Norwich who were potential rivals look as bad if not worse than us. 

I think we will make playoffs. 

Edit: I know it's the Championship but can you believe his win ratio is the best we've had since MON! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He ain't going to get sacked. I think we need to accept that and hope we can scrape play offs. 

He will be judged on results and if at the end of September we are still in the bottom half he will be gone in my opinion - I think he himself is well aware of that ,

people were saying RDM wouldn't be sacked and he was after 10 games , Bruce has had 40 games so if xia decides to fire him at the next international break Bruce can have no complaints however much he may bleat to those who listen .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but looking at this seasons games alone I think we should be on 7 points which is currently a point of play offs.( should have comfortably beaten Hull.)We have last seasons top scorer to return and about to sign a top player at this level in Snodgrass. 

Teams such as Boro, Sunderland, Norwich who were potential rivals look as bad if not worse than us. 

Making the play offs with this squad is failure for me - with the squad at his disposal top 2 should be the minimum expected .

• Like 4

Just now, Eastie said:

Making the play offs with this squad is failure for me - with the squad at his disposal top 2 should be the minimum expected .

I agree but will a change of manager at this stage achieve that? I guess it worked for Watford but the appointment would have to be spot on. 

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looking at all the results today Cardiff aside everyone is dropping points. It's a strong league but we should still make play offs even with Bruce in charge

Cardiffs run won't last. 

YAY! We MIGHT get a lotto ticket with arguably the strongest squad in the league!:rolleyes:

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Edit: I know it's the Championship but can you believe his win ratio is the best we've had since MON! 

Can see your logic even if I don't agree with the conclusion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

YAY! We MIGHT get a lotto ticket with arguably the strongest squad in the league!:rolleyes:

I know but after the start we have I'm just trying to keep the glass half full. It ain't easy I tell ya! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree but will a change of manager at this stage achieve that? I guess it worked for Watford but the appointment would have to be spot on. 

There are no  guarantees but that's no reason to stick with someone who has failed . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know but after the start we have I'm just trying to keep the glass half full. It ain't easy I tell ya! 

We have 7 games in September of which 5 are at home and the away are Barnsley and burton which we must go to win - there can be no excuses if after next month we are not in the top 8 at a very minimum .

• Like 1

Just now, Eastie said:

We have 7 games in September of which 5 are at home and the away are Barnsley and burton which we must go to win - there can be no excuses if after next month we are not in the top 8 at a very minimum .

But even if we are doesn't that just mask a problem? We will have had a boost from a disproportionate amount of home games, the problem away from home would likely still exist.

Problem with Bruce is his answer to when it goes wrong is get another player...if that don't work..get another player in...theres no stability...diferent starting 11...different set up every game. I was not surprised to see the set up last night...too defensive with round pegs in square holes.  

He needs to get the midfieldsorted..its neither to shirt in numbers or too defensive.  Last night it was going to be 5 at the back rather than 5 in the middle and then add Whelan that's 6...this results in one supporting the players up front...thus happened when Davies held it up it pretty much came back to the full back as there was no option to pass it inside.

We need more mobile midfielders Whelan just sat in the middle all game leaving hourihane and onomah to cover the whole pitch. We always seem to be one player short all over the pitch.

There is a good team there but Bruce doesn't seem to know it and it's a concern after nearly 12 months in charge.

I know he hasn't played well but he is out of position when he comes on and that's Thor...maybe he could do the Whelan role as he's more mobile..i don't know. Id like to see something like this..bit more movement and options up top and defend

Johnson

Bree  Chester  Terry   Taylor

Thor    lansbury

Onomah   hourihane green

Hogan/Davies

Â