Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Flynnchin84 said:

Misleading, the fact Bruce has been playing against the likes of Burton and Rotherham, it should be expected.

And has one of the best squads in the league. 

Let's ignore all that though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Think it's safe to assume this is what we'll get under Steve Bruce.

40 League games in now and he still doesn't know what he want's, or at least how to achieve it.

Rather than being able to fix the problems he just keeps signing new players and changing formations hoping to paper over the cracks and stumble over something that works.

He's not working towards a goal, he's just trying to keep his head over water.

We are wasting our time with him.

Thing is he finally stumbled over something that worked well and then changed it - dreadful decision last night when the team had momentum to then start with 3 at the back was crazy :(

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Spin this.....Aston Villa the least amount of away wins in all 4 leagues over the past 5yrs. 25 away wins in 5 yrs. 

Blame bruce though.

Spin this at the same time. Steve Bruce has the highest win ratio of any villa manger since John gregory.

It's a funny old game.

That does not wash I'm afraid. We were in the premier league with a vastly inferior team. We are now in the championship with players that the other clubs can only dream of. Back Bruce all the way if you wish and ignore what you actually see. I want Bruce to do well because that means that we will do well. It is his negativity that is killing us not some rubbish about how we were bad 5 years ago!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Thing is he finally stumbled over something that worked well and then changed it - dreadful decision last night when the team had momentum to then start with 3 at the back was crazy :(

It's quite astonishing actually. He stumbled on a winning formula and approach which if he stuck with, could have kept him in the job more securely as well as getting us where we needed to be, ie: promotion.

But instead he uproots all of that and goes with something completely new because he was too scared to lose. It boggles the mind how a manager with such extensive experience could come up with that. I'm no manager or rocket scientist, but surely sticking with what got us 2 wins and 8 goals was the best idea?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Awful yesterday. What was he thinking in the first half? Should be sacked. Terrible football manager. Sick of watching such stupid tactical decisions. 

It was exactly what I was expecting, that is the worst thing about it.

• Like 2

Looking at win percentages and record over the last few years is the definition of false equivalence but I suspect those bringing it up know this. We arguably have the strongest team in the division yet continually set up like the under-dog, giving teams far too much respect in terms of how deep we sit and the players we commit forward.

Starting with a 5 at the back park the bus mentality on the back of scoring 8 goals in 2 games with a squad you'd expect to be brimming in confidence sums him up completely. Mid-table obscurity if he stays.

• Like 2

I wasn't surprised to see him change the whole set up after we scored 8 goals in 2 games because he's an idiot. Why start with 3 centre backs? Like seriously? Just put the same team out that played Norwich except Hutton and take the game to the mighty Bristol city. He's a complete bottler and his over cautious approach cost us again last night. Get rid!!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

Looking at win percentages and record over the last few years is the definition of false equivalence but I suspect those bringing it up know this. We arguably have the strongest team in the division yet continually set up like the under-dog, giving teams far too much respect in terms of how deep we sit and the players we commit forward.

Starting with a 5 at the back park the bus mentality on the back of scoring 8 goals in 2 games with a squad you'd expect to be brimming in confidence sums him up completely. Mid-table obscurity if he stays.

It feels like we're playing Man City or Chelsea instead of ***** Reading and Bristol.

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Why on earth would would we view a draw at Bristol City anything but points lost.

One thing Bruce has achieved is to dampen down our expectations.

Based on their decent start to the season and our poor start - all things considered I don't feel it's a terrible point? - however I must point out once more that in no way do I think Bruce is the man for the job and I'd have no qualms should he leave today.  My post is not an endorsement of SB 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

Based on their decent start to the season and our poor start - all things considered I don't feel it's a terrible point? - however I must point out once more that in no way do I think Bruce is the man for the job and I'd have no qualms should he leave today.  My post is not an endorsement of SB 

They have 1 point more than us.

But as we are supposedly aiming for promotion beating teams like them is a must.

Sitting behind the team in the first half I could see how much that formation changed during just one 45 minute period.

At different stages it was either a back three of Chester, Terry and Samba, A back four with Taylor going to left back and Chester at right back and at times it looked like it was a back four of Terry, Whelan, Samba and Chester.

The players didn't have a clue where they were supposed to be or what they were doing.

27 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Sitting behind the team in the first half I could see how much that formation changed during just one 45 minute period.

At different stages it was either a back three of Chester, Terry and Samba, A back four with Taylor going to left back and Chester at right back and at times it looked like it was a back four of Terry, Whelan, Samba and Chester.

The players didn't have a clue where they were supposed to be or what they were doing.

It was embarrassing. I mean, I know the guy hasn't got a clue but I did have a chuckle to myself when Chester was playing at right back. 

The one position where we have an abundance of players, we play our best centre half.

As others have said, most know he'd bottle it and change a formation that has scored 8 goals in 2 games, but nobody knew it would be that bad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skarroki said:

3 of those 5 RDM got were against the one of the worst teams in championship history.

Hold up.. OK 3 of those points were against Rotherham, but Bristol City was one of those games - then you had 3 teams all in or around the play offs, Hudderfield, Sheffield W and Derby.

I'd say thats a tougher run of fixtures than Bruce's first 5. Then you have consider Bruce has had far more time with the squad than RDM had, and RDMs team was still getting to know one another. yet they both had 5 points after 5 games. 

Bruce will not get in the top 10 let alone the play offs, best to change now - people were saying RDM was given too long so lets not make the same mistake again.

• Like 3

Noticed Davis was celebrating the "hard fought" point on Twitter. Not only has Bruce managed to completely dampen the expectations of the fans, he's also infected the same low level mentality to the team, which really is depressing.

Â