Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Xia, Wyness and Round don't want to sack Bruce, they still hope he can turn it round. We've been awful so far but if he manages to grind out a win Saturday I expect us to go forward muddling along with up and down, middle of the table form. This is not good enough and when the penny finally drops it will be too late AGAIN this season. 

Act now - I guarantee we are not getting promotion under Bruce

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Xia, Wyness and Round don't want to sack Bruce, they still hope he can turn it round. We've been awful so far but if he manages to grind out a win Saturday I expect us to go forward muddling along with up and down, middle of the table form. This is not good enough and when the penny finally drops it will be too late AGAIN this season. 

Act now - I guarantee we are not getting promotion under Bruce

I agree they need to act now but its pretty pointless sacking him now with Norwich game 24 hours away. If they were going to sack him should have been immediately after Reading game. I think because of the 2-1 scoreline they gave him another chance even though we should have lost 3-4 nil had reading taken their chances - big mistake not scaking him straight after in my view as we will see tomorrow with another loss and a toxic atmosphere at Villa Park

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Grinding a result here or there is prolonging the inevitable. No promotion under this clown, has to go now. 

Agreed, please do the deed now and give us something to look forward to this season. If not, we have 40+ games of garbage and frustration to keep us awake at night. 

I get the eagerness to get rid of Bruce. But now is the worst time to be looking for a new manager. I kind of hope we hold fire and wait for someone decent to become available. Lets face it Axe Bruce now and Moyes and Pardew are amongst the better names linked. ! 

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Probably has a list of excuses ready to go.

"We need to puff our chests out and go again"

"We were unlucky to not take that chance in the first 5 minutes, if we can do that then it's a different game"

"A few of the lads are carrying little niggles so it's touch and go"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

"We need to puff our chests out and go again"

"We were unlucky to not take that chance in the first 5 minutes, if we can do that then it's a different game"

"A few of the lads are carrying little niggles so it's touch and go"

Nailed it.

22 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Grinding a result here or there is prolonging the inevitable. No promotion under this clown, has to go now. 

Agreed.

I hope the powers that be are taking performances into account.

Unless we suddenly come out and smash Norwich, I don't think much changes.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

I hope the powers that be are taking performances into account.

Unless we suddenly come out and smash Norwich, I don't think much changes.

To me this is the frustrating thing. I'm not desperate to get rid of Bruce because I hate the man, I'm desperate because we're going to continue to drop points and getting to that average of 2 points a game is going to get harder and harder. 

Beating Norwich isn't enough, when we had our little spell towards the end of last year just watching it was enough to know it was never going to be consistent 

For him to remain for another game we need to comfortably win and look like it's something we can repeat. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

To me this is the frustrating thing. I'm not desperate to get rid of Bruce because I hate the man, I'm desperate because we're going to continue to drop points and getting to that average of 2 points a game is going to get harder and harder. 

Beating Norwich isn't enough, when we had our little spell towards the end of last year just watching it was enough to know it was never going to be consistent 

For him to remain for another game we need to comfortably win and look like it's something we can repeat. 

I sort of agree, it just depends on why we're waiting.

If we're waiting because they want to line up a replacement, we beat Norwich and then he's sacked, then happy days.

I think we need to stick with Bruce for now. Let me clarify my position before continuing. I did not want him as our manager. Nothing has happened in the past 10 months to alter my opinion. I do though want us to get promoted this season. I think we must stick with Bruce short term in order to make this happen.

Our main problem is scoring goals / creating chances. In order to do this you need either speedy, skilled footballers who can run from deep with the ball, a target man who can retain possession long enough for support to arrive or a team with the ability to retain possession through passing and movement (ideally a mix of all three). We do not currently have any of these and therefore any manager would struggle. If we sack Bruce now it will make it very difficult to address this before the end of August meaning any new manager will be restricted from the start.

If we can sign a target man and at least one skillful attacking midfielder then it has the potential to transform our team. Suddenly we would have balance, be an attacking threat and also have greater options for tactics and formations. It is more likely that we can get these players if we have a perceived stability. Sack Bruce now and no player would join until the replacement had been appointed. 

Therefore it is essential that we win tomorrow and also on Friday. I don't care how those wins occur but we should all be hoping that they do. Things would look so much better if we signed those two players and got those two wins (which are achievable). If Bruce does not improve matters after that, then we can get rid and replace him with somebody who will at least have a capable balanced squad to inherit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I sort of agree, it just depends on why we're waiting.

If we're waiting because they want to line up a replacement, we beat Norwich and then he's sacked, then happy days.

Yeah I'm hoping so

If we're giving him a few games to save his job then I think it's a massive mistake. How would it even work? If he does well for 3 games does everything reset and he is allowed another poor spell later? Does it just earn him until the next loss? 

Also what message does it send to the players? What must they be thinking? 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Yeah I'm hoping so

If we're giving him a few games to save his job then I think it's a massive mistake. How would it even work? If he does well for 3 games does everything reset and he is allowed another poor spell later? Does it just earn him until the next loss? 

Also what message does it send to the players? What must they be thinking? 

Like I said before, "3 games to save his job" basically means he's gone, imo.

It's just warming everyone up for when it happens.

The only way I'd be happy with Bruce keeping his job after those 3 games is 7-9 points with 3 very convincing performances.

But that won't happen.

• Like 2

Whatever happens, there won't be any movement now until after the Bristol game. It just doesn't make any sense when we have three games coming up over the next seven days. After this fixture congestion the international break would be the perfect time to sack Bruce, if it is going to happen at all.

I'll get behind Bruce whilst he is our manager but I am extremely concerned and have pretty much lost all hope in his ability to get us promoted. I want him to be a success for us but the football has been woeful and the results have been even worse. I could live with average football if we were grinding out results but we aren’t.

I was behind the appointment of Bruce to be honest, as he has past experience of getting teams promoted and seemed like a good option at the time. For some reason it just hasn’t worked here though and I think after the Bristol game he needs to go. It just hasn’t worked out sadly…

Â