Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Could you suggest when it would be acceptable in your opinion to sack him? How long does the "Four Promotions Factor" actually last for and how much influence does it hold over the evidence of what is actually happening here and now? If we are in the bottom half after 10 games and still playing awful football, he will still have been promoted four times. If he gets us relegated, he will still have been promoted four times.

Yes the club needs stability but not at any cost. It's not the sackings that have been the problem, it's the appointments. 

And that could be the case for the next appointment.

He just has to sort it out Dave.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

And that could be the case for the next appointment.

He just has to sort it out Dave.

I've always argued that sacking him, or any manager, without a plan regarding his successor is madness. I agree SB getting it sorted would be the best outcome. I just can't see any real evidence that he can.

• Like 2

September 30th after the  game with Bolton we will be 11 games into the season with a 2 week international break to come - that is the time when we should be able to decide whether Bruce had done enough to continue or should be replaced .

In the meantime we should be thinking who to go for if we do need to replace him and if it happens be in a position to make a swift appointment.

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I can't argue against the appointment. I'm arguing that he has to deliver next season or he should be sacked. We just aren't in a financial position to give him years to build something. 

If we are losing games and aren't at least in the playoffs after 10 games I am very sure that Bruce will be sacked, he's had plenty of time and has been backed to bring in his own players so there is no excuse for him anymore. 

He knew the size of the job, he knew the size of the club, and he knows what is expected.

personally though, given all that I have said I think he'll still be our manager at the end of the season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dukes said:

If we are losing games and aren't at least in the playoffs after 10 games I am very sure that Bruce will be sacked, he's had plenty of time and has been backed to bring in his own players so there is no excuse for him anymore. 

He knew the size of the job, he knew the size of the club, and he knows what is expected.

personally though, given all that I have said I think he'll still be our manager at the end of the season.

I think it will come good too but I must admit I'm less confident after seeing yesterday's shambles - albeit a pre season friendly but there were many doubts watching it .

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So, on that formula, last season the following clubs should have sacked their managers after 7 games:

Brighton (11 points)

Reading (11)

Sheffield W (11)

Fulham (12)

Whereas Barnsley (15) and Norwich (14) were right to keep their managers safe in the knowledge that they had already earned automatic promotion.

As I have said before, talking about sacking Bruce based on his performance after only 7 games is totally crazy. As is the idea that there would be a bank of great managers ready and waiting in mid September to step in to the vacant post.

Yes if you use that formula you do that.

But that means deliberately ignoring the reasoning behind it which makes debating the issue with you rather pointless.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

September 30th after the  game with Bolton we will be 11 games into the season with a 2 week international break to come - that is the time when we should be able to decide whether Bruce had done enough to continue or should be replaced .

In the meantime we should be thinking who to go for if we do need to replace him and if it happens be in a position to make a swift appointment.

I think we should have been thinking about that for a long time now. There's an argument to say that all well run clubs should always be planning at least one manager ahead. 

51 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

BTW thought I might just mention the thing that irritates me most about this "discussion": it's people who clearly despise Bruce to the core, who write lengthy posts explaining in depth exactly how crap he is and how we have no hope of promotion if he stays, and then say, "I really hope I'm proved wrong". 

No you don't, you really hope you're proved right. So why not just be open about it?

Not going to mention any names but you know who you are.

What a shocking post.

Mention names please as it's impossible to properly answer without you specifying.

But as the description fits my recent posts I will say this.

DONT think you can read minds.

DO people the respect of assuming they are honest unless you are SURE the opposite is true.

TRY arguing your own position on things rather than complaining at those that do.

For me. As I now feel the need to defend myself I will.

I like Bruce and have repeatedly said so.

I want him to succeed.

I don't want him sacked.

I DO think he's been poor 

I DO think he needs to drastically improve.

I do happen to think he will

I would hate him to fail.

I often raise positives about him

To suggest when I say these things " im not saying anyone has but if they had they know who they are "...I'm lying is disgraceful.

• Like 2

There are enough people at VP who will / should know is it Bruce or is the players just substandard.

They will see the work behind the scenes to make that judgment.

54 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

BTW thought I might just mention the thing that irritates me most about this "discussion": it's people who clearly despise Bruce to the core, who write lengthy posts explaining in depth exactly how crap he is and how we have no hope of promotion if he stays, and then say, "I really hope I'm proved wrong". 

No you don't, you really hope you're proved right. So why not just be open about it?

Not going to mention any names but you know who you are.

Such a dumb post. 

I imagine most people on here have followed this club for years and you think they'd rather their club flounder in the championship just so they can claim to be right to a bunch of strangers on a message board. 

The fact you think that shows you've become so over the top with defending Bruce that you can't even bring yourself to believe people could have concerns or questions his ability. 

Like I said. What a dumb post. 

• Like 3

Jeez guys, get real, please. It's a pre-season friendly. They're about getting fit, getting match-fit, trying out players to see how they perform in different formations. It is NOT essential to put in a champions league winning performance. 

Starting to build a case for sacking the manager on the basis of one pre-season match is mental, like most of this thread.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Yes if you use that formula you do that.

But that means deliberately ignoring the reasoning behind it which makes debating the issue with you rather pointless.

I am already aware that those who want Bruce sacked are not open to debate so we agree on that at least. :)

Just now, briny_ear said:

I am already aware that those who want Bruce sacked are not open to debate so we agree on that at least. :)

There you go again.

Wierd is the nicest thing I can think of to say.

If i was a player, i would imagine the worst manager in the world would not get me to abandon my skills and more importantly the basics of the game.

Its my dna, its my talent at stake.

I hear the steve Bruce dissenters (and i have empathy with them)and to be fair no fan can unconditionally support him forever...but i seen things in that game that tell me its them as opposed to him.

It could be a bit of both, but on that showing, some of them players worry me.

Edited by TRO

Â