Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Does anyone remember when we had that mentality problem? The one in which we conceded every game in the last 5 mins. 

Bruce has seemingly done a cracking job at turning that around, which was no small task.

Also, how many teams have made 5+ starting XI signings and played well from the get-go? (Manchester City, Spurs with Bale Money ect)...let alone buying an entire new XI (minus hutton).

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Well that's true Pete if you want to ignore the work of Tony Barton.

He was the one who guided us through the Stages of the Euro cup.

It was Ron's Team granted......but Tony played a huge,huge part in it all.

just trying to give a bit of credit, where I think credit is due.

Didn't Barton take over at quarter final stages?  Ron guided us past Valor and Dynamo Berlin.

Barton Role I think previously was to identify the talent for Villa to buy.  A lot like Taylor did for Clough.

• Like 1

JEDINAK on Centre Back role.

MIDFIELDER ADMITS HE HAS HELD TALKS WITH ASTON VILLA BOSS STEVE BRUCE

Mile Jedinak has admitted he has been in talks with Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce over a new role with the club.

Aston Villa’s defensive woes this season have forced Bruce into tinkering with his line-up in recent weeks, and that has seen Jedinak deployed in an unfamiliar centre-back role.

However, the 32-year-old Australian has excelled in the position, and talks are underway between the pair ahead of a potentially prolonged stay in the new role.

Speaking to Australian news outlet The West Australian, Jedinak revealed that he had been in discussions with Bruce regarding his role, and that the Aston Villa chief was keen on the idea.

He said: “We’ve had a discussion on the possibility of doing something like that and (Bruce) is very keen on the idea of it.

“I’ve been asked to have a think about it and see how I feel. It takes a bit of getting used to but I’ve got full belief and confidence in doing a job there.

“At the moment I’m happy to play my part in any which way and if that means playing at centre-back so be it.”

Traditionally a central or defensive-midfielder, Jedinak was deployed as a centre back in Aston Villa’s last Championship clash against Wigan on Saturday.

But despite the various problems that could have arisen from playing in a new role, Jedinak put in a typically commanding display, ensuring Villa kept a clean sheet.

Bruce had both Tommy Elphick and Micah Richards to call upon from the bench, but instead chose to deploy Jedinak alongside James Chester at the heart of the defence.

The Villa Park chief is confident that Jedinak can perform successfully in the role on a regular basis, having earlier hinted that it could help prolong his career.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/aston-villa-star-reveals-crunch-talks-steve-bruce-happen/

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

His win percentage as Aston Villa manager currently stands at 42.9%

P 28 

W 12

D 5

L 11

Not bad for someone who had the bloody awful run that. and I think that the % will only go up too! 

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

JEDINAK on Centre Back role.

MIDFIELDER ADMITS HE HAS HELD TALKS WITH ASTON VILLA BOSS STEVE BRUCE

Mile Jedinak has admitted he has been in talks with Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce over a new role with the club.

Aston Villa’s defensive woes this season have forced Bruce into tinkering with his line-up in recent weeks, and that has seen Jedinak deployed in an unfamiliar centre-back role.

However, the 32-year-old Australian has excelled in the position, and talks are underway between the pair ahead of a potentially prolonged stay in the new role.

Speaking to Australian news outlet The West Australian, Jedinak revealed that he had been in discussions with Bruce regarding his role, and that the Aston Villa chief was keen on the idea.

He said: “We’ve had a discussion on the possibility of doing something like that and (Bruce) is very keen on the idea of it.

“I’ve been asked to have a think about it and see how I feel. It takes a bit of getting used to but I’ve got full belief and confidence in doing a job there.

“At the moment I’m happy to play my part in any which way and if that means playing at centre-back so be it.”

Traditionally a central or defensive-midfielder, Jedinak was deployed as a centre back in Aston Villa’s last Championship clash against Wigan on Saturday.

But despite the various problems that could have arisen from playing in a new role, Jedinak put in a typically commanding display, ensuring Villa kept a clean sheet.

Bruce had both Tommy Elphick and Micah Richards to call upon from the bench, but instead chose to deploy Jedinak alongside James Chester at the heart of the defence.

The Villa Park chief is confident that Jedinak can perform successfully in the role on a regular basis, having earlier hinted that it could help prolong his career.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/aston-villa-star-reveals-crunch-talks-steve-bruce-happen/

Making room for the inevitable arrival of Tom Huddlestone 

Edited by sne

On 3/22/2017 at 13:02, blandy said:

I didn't and don't, not at all. My post was meant to (and I think did) factually answer that Ron Saunders took us up and then won the league.

Him and Tony Barton are not going to be ignored and forgotten by any of us that were around at the time :)

I wasn't being prickly, just referring to the Euro Cup Bit.:)

On 3/22/2017 at 14:14, NIVillan said:

Didn't Barton take over at quarter final stages?  Ron guided us past Valor and Dynamo Berlin.

Barton Role I think previously was to identify the talent for Villa to buy.  A lot like Taylor did for Clough.

I can't quite remember.....but yes you are right about finding the players.....He was the man.

I had an hour with him once after an international friendly, I was invited by someone close to the team to join them for after match drinks in a Hotel on the Hagley Rd.

I was fortunate to be throw together with Tony Barton, who was then manager......I am never short of a comment as some know on hear,(easy Tiger :)) but he was mesmerising talking football, The man was amazingly knowledgeable.....I was deathly silent listening to him.....His evaluation and profile on all the players was fascinating and honest.

Something I will never forget, Ron Certainly had a brilliant Lieutenant.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

On 3/22/2017 at 14:24, dont_do_it_doug. said:

His win percentage as Aston Villa manager currently stands at 42.9%

P 28 

W 12

D 5

L 11

considering its just in its infancy,( the clearing up) thats fairly impressive

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

considering its just in its infancy,( the clearing up) thats fairly impressive

And considering he took over a team who's win percentage, from memory, would have been under 10%?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And considering he took over a team who's win percentage, from memory, would have been under 10%?

8.3% B)

(Although Di Matteo had a loss percentage of 33%, Steve Bruce is currently on 39%).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I can't quite remember.....but yes you are right about finding the players.....He was the man.

I had an hour with him once after an international friendly, I was invited by someone close to the team to join them for after match drinks in a Hotel on the Hagley Rd.

I was fortunate to be throw together with Tony Barton, who was then manager......I am never short of a comment as some know on hear,(easy Tiger :)) but he was mesmerising talking football, The man was amazingly knowledgeable.....I was deathly silent listening to him.....His evaluation and profile on all the players was fascinating and honest.

Something I will never forget, Ron Certainly had a brilliant Lieutenant.

Tony Barton was a really lovely bloke - maybe too nice if anything for the management role - Saunders had that certain cutting edge to his armour and could be ruthless at times - they worked well together and were great days .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I see it as a way to play with 2 strikers and have landbury, hourihane and Jedinak all on the pitch. 

Makes sense to move Jedinak back to centre back as his lack of mobility won't be as exposed there as it is in midfield. Also we only have two good centre halfs and baker seems to always be injured. Smart idea from Bruce.

Â