Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Better hope he fails because no doubt he will be lining up his next pop at us fans.

I dread him being proven 'right'

I don't think that will happen at all....it was only a "section" anyway, he referred to.

Steve Bruce was always complementary towards the fans in general....I would suspect only Sheff Wed will be harbouring his thoughts....like Dean Smith is in our thoughts.

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Professional courtesy. The minimum I would expect to be honest. 

He may well think highly of Bruce, but I doubt Smith would take the opportunity to slate him, doesn’t seem that sort of character. Who was the last manager we had who openly criticised the previous manager?

True....but why say anything at all....and he did.

When folk usually have a hidden agenda they say nothing....but Dean said Something, He didn't have to.

On 17/02/2019 at 13:31, TRO said:

When folk usually have a hidden agenda they say nothing....but Dean said Something, He didn't have to.

Don’t forget Bruce has all his pals in the media, and other managers, and ex players. They all hate him but lie and say nice things about.

• Haha 1

On 17/02/2019 at 14:31, TRO said:

He was asked a question I imagine?

and rather than saying "no comment" which would have raised even more questions he just said something generic like he's a good man manager.

something that if you're inclined to that thinking might be seen as an underhand way of saying that Bruce doesn't do tactics 

Doubt Smith has any strong feelings about Bruce either way. As a Villa fan he might have been a bit pissed we missed promotion thou :D 

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

ITK here folks. 

Just glad we have such expert analysis on hand. 

Just out of genuine interest if you will- exactly what did Bruce do for us that appears to propel you to defend his corner as often as you do?

As I say not a wind up at all 

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

Just out of genuine interest if you will- exactly what did Bruce do for us that appears to propel you to defend his corner as often as you do?

Dave......it might be to do with, he thinks the criticism of him at times is unfair.

I guess the more the criticism is made in the form it is......the more the defensive arguments are raised......has it dawned on you, that on this subject, he doesn,t agree with some of your criticisms of him?

24 wins was nifty.......i'd take that now.

Dave, I have no particular love for Steve Bruce, however.

I am able to recognise facts and whilst yes, we ultimately failed to hit the number one target, we still had a pretty good season with far more highs than lows. 

The atmosphere in VP at the end of the second leg vs Boro was superb, best it's been for a long long time. We had a good team that he put together, we scored lots of goals and won lots of games.

His derby record was pretty good. 

How far back and how many Managers ago was the last season we could say that? 

We were dire before Bruce and we're dire after Bruce, unless I'm missing something I fail to see how he's the cause of our woes. 

Personally I’m not so sure last season had far more genuine highs than genuine lows.

The highlights -

Connor’s hat trick and Green’s goal v Norwich

Small heath derby day win

Sheff Utd smash and grab win

Bristol City 5-0

(Those for me were the highlights of the 7 game winning run.)

Wolves 4-1

Jack’s winner against Cardiff

The lowlights -

One win in seven opening games

Played off the park by the dingles

Dismal December

QPR at home, followed by a mini dismal run

Play off final

Yes I’m sure you could make a case for a couple more highlights, Sheffield Wednesday away was fun (although that particular result is balanced out with the home game). 

However my overall memory/feeling of last season was that the positives weren’t as positive as the negatives were negative.

Besides, I don’t only look at the 2017/18 season when considering Bruce’s tenure. His first six or seven months in charge (a mixed bag) and the first two months of this season (poor) are included too.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Best season we've had for around a decade.

Ultimately failed, and Bruce has a lot to answer for given how he left the squad this season.

But reading this thread you'd think we'd finished 18th last season.

I'd kill for another season like last season given how shit we are right now. Hopefully Smith can build something that means we get another season like last season (preferably succeeding on that extra step!) and is more sustainable.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Ultimately failed, and Bruce has a lot to answer for given how he left the squad this season.

I'd kill for another season like last season given how shit we are right now. Hopefully Smith can build something that means we get another season like last season (preferably succeeding on that extra step!) and is more sustainable.

Best season for a decade ? Yes in a lower standard of football - you do know Bruce spent a fortune and failed in  his objective don't you?

Crikey words fail me - it was an horrendous season for me - as someone pointed out - the negatives overshadow the positives.

Most of us expected promotion last year - try squaring that circle 

19 hours ago, TRO said:

Dave......it might be to do with, he thinks the criticism of him at times is unfair.

I guess the more the criticism is made in the form it is......the more the defensive arguments are raised......has it dawned on you, that on this subject, he doesn,t agree with some of your criticisms of him?

A little bizarre TRO - I only asked what propelled BFHV to defend Bruce as often as he does ? Clearly it is his right to post as much in defence of Bruce as he so wishes - I never criticised Bruce in this post at all - with all due respect TRO I could level the same towards you when it comes to Bruce - purely conjecture but I wonder if offered would you take him back ?

19 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Dave, I have no particular love for Steve Bruce, however.

I am able to recognise facts and whilst yes, we ultimately failed to hit the number one target, we still had a pretty good season with far more highs than lows. 

The atmosphere in VP at the end of the second leg vs Boro was superb, best it's been for a long long time. We had a good team that he put together, we scored lots of goals and won lots of games.

His derby record was pretty good. 

How far back and how many Managers ago was the last season we could say that? 

We were dire before Bruce and we're dire after Bruce, unless I'm missing something I fail to see how he's the cause of our woes. 

Not all but a large chunk. And it doesn't surprise me that you have missed it.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It was enjoyable for most of the season. But at what cost? Now not all his fault, the short term thinking was heavily supported by Dr Fraud. 

One of my main concerns with Bruce was the long term issue if he failed and we are now seeing that come to fruition. 

An enjoyable season that ultimately was a failure has now caused the club to hit the reset button. 

• Like 2

Â