Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Managers rarely speak out as soon as they've been sacked. I imagine there's some sort of NDA for a set period.

It amuses me that people are begruding him a payoff. He's a sacked football manager, they all get payoffs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It amuses me that people are begruding him a payoff. He's a sacked football manager, they all get payoffs.

I still find it odd that there aren't more get out clauses for clubs in contracts. For Bruce we should have been able to fire him without compensation if we weren't in the playoff places. Either that or performance related pay, the current system favours the manager although it is a pretty uncertain job at the best of times. 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I still find it odd that there aren't more get out clauses for clubs in contracts. For Bruce we should have been able to fire him without compensation if we weren't in the playoff places. Either that or performance related pay, the current system favours the manager although it is a pretty uncertain job at the best of times. 

I agree totally - it just goes to show how bonkers the game we all love really is. Did he deserve his pay - off contractually no doubt - performance wise absolutely not.  It just seems odd to me that you can mess up royally and walk away with your pockets lined - although in fairness this also happens  in the upper echelon of business - I just can't help but struggle with it tbh 

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

I think it's pretty simple, if clubs put those clauses in then managers wouldn't sign the contracts.

Steve Bruce wouldn't have signed for Aston Villa if we gave him a contract which meant he didn't get a payoff if sacked. And neither would any manager worth their salt.

Clauses can't just be inserted by one side. They have to agreed upon and negotiated.

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's pretty simple, if clubs put those clauses in then managers wouldn't sign the contracts.

Steve Bruce wouldn't have signed for Aston Villa if we gave him a contract which meant he didn't get a payoff if sacked. And neither would any manager worth their salt.

Clauses can't just be inserted by one side. They have to agreed upon and negotiated.

We even got off quite lightly because he was on a rolling 12 month deal - it's not even like he was tied into a 3/4 year deal worth 20m a year like Arsene was or Mourinho is. 

So his pay off, while still a lot of money to mere mortals like us, is still peanuts compared to his peers.  We deal with bigger numbers than clubs like Brentford too, before someone says Dave Manager got sacked from Gillingham and only got £30 and a packet of Wine gums!!! :(  :(  :( 

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We even got off quite lightly because he was on a rolling 12 month deal - it's not even like he was tied into a 3/4 year deal worth 20m a year like Arsene was or Mourinho is. 

So his pay off, while still a lot of money to mere mortals like us, is still peanuts compared to his peers.  We deal with bigger numbers than clubs like Brentford too, before someone says Dave Manager got sacked from Gillingham and only got £30 and a packet of Wine gums!!! :(  :(  :( 

Well he was into his 3rd season (albeit broken seasons) here and not even his buddies Round and Wyness would have signed him on a 7 season contract.

Hopefully...

We have given out some ridiculous contracts in our time, we still continue to do so...but the Bruce one was not one of them. In an ideal world we would have managers beating down their doors to come here but the simple fact is we were losing games, we have been losing games for 5 years, we were in dire need of an "old head"

• Like 2

Â