Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Who was the poster who got castigated by many when he posted Bruce should have gone before the start of last season because pretty much every point he made is still valid along with some new ones.

MY

M
A
T
E

GR +

A with (S) and another

HOP

PER

(I miss @Grasshopper)

#utoldmeso

Oh god this is like POP aint it, no but really Bruce, Bruce, Bruce. And I was answering a question! Actually though I well miss obsessing over meaningless stats on a friday afternoon with GH :thumb:

I think Bruce will be here for the next 3 whatever. The International break is kind of a natural time to get rid if it's going to happen.

Edited by VILLAMARV
strike-thru abberation

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

I'm afraid you are too much of a visionary for a lot of fans. They only see the next game as a 'must win' and would rather win it even if it means keeping Bruce in a job than lose it and put another nail in his coffin. Some fans can see that we are going nowhere with this muppet in charge and for me if losing 2 games on the spin ends his reign then so be it because every point we fluke with him in charge just stretches out his tenure and guarantees the inevitable (another season in the fizzy pop league).

My suspicion is they are keeping him until all the background staff are in place before getting rid and bringing in a coach.

Losing matches won't bring those staff in any quicker. Winning matches won't prevent a plan being implemented, therefore I want Aston Villa to win every game until all the crap in the background is sorted out (the sooner the better, but I suspect it will take longer than most hope) and Bruce is replaced. 

If you genuinely believe that the owners are making their decisions (potentially worth hundreds of millions) on a game by game basis then you must also genuinely believe they have no plan for our future. I may be wrong, but I'm an optimist, I will believe the owners have a plan and will implement it when all the pieces are in place until the evidence suggests otherwise 

If it all goes tits up and the owners turn out no better than Randy or Tone, I'll try being a "visionary" and praying for defeats like you guys in the hope we'll stumble from manager to manager and strategy to strategy until it just suddenly works one day. I mean, it hasn't worked so far, but can't hurt to keep trying can it? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Wouldn't pay too much heed to what Percy said in that article. End of the day, purslow's hand will be forced whether he likes it or not should this continue.

The apperance of the words "Percy" and "Purslow" in this post prompts me to post a link to "Percy Parslow's Hamster Farm" by the Liverpool Scene.

Yes, I know it's Purslow not Parslow.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Image may contain: text

Meh..... I am not romantically nourished...

I’m not sure what to make of this.

Removing several backroom staff last week doesn’t strike me as being particularly stable.

Seems clear to me that the board have a long-term plan and it probably doesn’t involve Steve Bruce. However the short and medium term plan probably does involve sticking with Bruce untill a new DoF is appointed and the new strategy is established.

I can accept this and I don’t see the benefit of sacking Bruce only to replace him with a panic appointment or an interim manager...assuming the DoF appointment is not far away. However this strategy will be tested to the max if we lose the next 2 games, as there will be full scale revolt in the crowd.

• Like 2

Tinfoil hat time. I'm not at the seething stage yet despite it getting closer. He's done better and brought a better squad together than the last few managers. He's not got long with me to get flying but I think it's easier to slam him for being boring etc because he's not a young good looking stylish manager which is all the rage these days. Like I say I understand the patience running out for some fans but I'm not there yet. The constant chopping and changing isn't doing the club any good 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ForfarVillan said:

Tinfoil hat time. I'm not at the seething stage yet despite it getting closer. He's done better and brought a better squad together than the last few managers. He's not got long with me to get flying but I think it's easier to slam him for being boring etc because he's not a young good looking stylish manager which is all the rage these days. Like I say I understand the patience running out for some fans but I'm not there yet. The constant chopping and changing isn't doing the club any good 

He has bought a much better squad than recent managers because the others never had a pot to piss in. He has bought a better squad than 90 percent of the league because he has been backed to the hilt twice consecutively and failed.

"Young good looking stylish manager"

You seriously think this plays a large factor in the average fans mind who wants him gone?

If there is a correlation between "younger stylish good looking manager" and them being wanted surely it has to do with the footballing philosophy they adapt?

I wonder how many Cardiff fans at the end if the season were saying "Boy Warnock has done a great job but I just wish he was young and good looking".

Do you see a clamour in the board for Tim Sherwood for instance?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, ForfarVillan said:

Your first 3 words might be the only ones I agree with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ForfarVillan said:

How's the view from that island of yours?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He has bought a much better squad than recent managers because the others never had a pot to piss in. He has bought a better squad than 90 percent of the league because he has been backed to the hilt twice consecutively and failed.

You seriously think this plays a large factor in the average fans mind who wants him gone?

If there is a correlation between "younger stylish good looking manager" and them being wanted surely it has to do with the footballing philosophy they adapt?

I wonder how many Cardiff fans at the end if the season were saying "Boy Warnock has done a great job but I just wish he was young and good looking".

I believe a lot of people look for that in a manager these days. I believe when there is a manager that doesn't fit that mould it is easy to label them as old fashioned dinosaurs etc. Bruce isn't doing great but don't think he can be accused of that. The rabble rabble rabble squad are out in force it at least you had a reasoned response so I welcome the chat cheers.

Edited by ForfarVillan

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My phone is ringing off the hook ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ForfarVillan said:

I believe a lot of people look for that in a manager these days. I believe when there is a manager that doesn't fit that mould it is easy to label them as old fashioned dinosaurs etc. Bruce isn't doing great but don't think he can be accused of that. The rabble rabble rabble squad are out in force it at least you had a reasoned response so I welcome the chat cheers.

I think you’re confusing ‘young and good looking’ with a new generation of managers who are naturally going to be younger, a number of them being very driven ex-professionals.

Being ex-players of the generation where peak physical fitness really came to the fore, many will naturally abide by the lifestyle of modern footballers by eating well and exercisng regularly, realising that a healthy body and healthy mind go hand-in-hand.

They will also have grown up in the era where the modern game was conceived and therefore will be far more tactically astute, head coaches rather than managers.

Look at the successful teams and you’ll see the common denominator in many of these is this philosophy. Naturally you’re still have a number of older managers who paved the way for the modern game, but they are few and far between and chances are we could not attract or even afford a big name with that kind of experience.

As for your defence of Bruce, that’s your own opinion, but I can’t understand how anyone can see the dire football we’ve played under him since the beginning and realise that’s acceptable for a club of our resources in the league that we’re in. A number of ex-Championship clubs now promoted to the Premier League have shown the way forward, and whereas it’s certainly not impossible to get promoted under Bruce, it’s not a sustainable brand of football if we want to go up and stay up.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â