Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

43 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Thanks Blandy, I always appreciate comments from people who were at the game. Although there are plenty of times I’ve seen a different game to the bloke sitting next to me!

From your comments Bruce’s on borrowed time with the away support. We’ll see soon enough. 

I was also at the game and there sounded like booing from our end at half time. 

There were a lot of fans complaining around me and saying that it's time for Bruce to go because he doesn't know how to pick the right team and he's too defensive. 

For me personally, he seems clueless as to how to pick a balanced side. We have a great attacking squad of players but seem unable to create many chances. We need a forward thinking manager who isn't afraid to make other teams worry about us instead of us worrying about them. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That is one dreadful points returns

Screenshot_20180915-231845_Facebook.jpg

Before any of those games were played you would expect a return of 8 points at least. Then, we play 10 men and draw at Ipswich, concede a late equaliser to Reading and you see why we didn't get the additional 4 points. 

On the flip side, we could so easily have lost the 2 points we took against Brentford and Blackburn. 

When we struggle against Reading, Ipswich, Blackburn and Wigan you can see why the fans are so concerned. 

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I was thinking this myself.

Managers come here and after we part ways we are lucky to see them in management again.

Again I feel we are too big a club for some managers.

Lambert, O'Leary, Sherwood, Houllier, Gardé*, Di Matteo, Bruce to name but a few all have been found out here.

Hence why I don't think your Eddie Howes, your Dean Smiths etc. Would survive here.

Yep agreed, people can’t comprehend how big we are and really struggle with the pressures of managing us. Smith would really struggle here we need a big personality to take over. 

I would add the caveat, that I don’t  honk Houllier falls into that category, he was big enough for the role, it’s just a shame health and age for the better of him here. 

• Like 2

I'm sure it's been said but it was so frustrating seeing a right side of Elmohamady and Hutton for the whole game. The first sub should have been in about the 60th minute. We should have taken Taylor or Hutton off then put Elmo at RB and then put on an actual winger to try and win the frikking game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blandy said:

A minority of fans were doing that. My sense from block S02 was that there were plenty who shared the criticisms made - we can all see the failings - but that the majority of the away fans at the game had not reached the point where you could claim “he’s lost the away fans”. It’s getting close, though. There’s a lot of lingering respect for him as a person and a lot of fans hope for that reason, perhaps that he turns it round.

please note this post is a comment on what I saw, not what I think.

This is how i saw it too. Heard a lot of dissatisfaction in concourses etc but there’s still not that groundswell as we’ve had against others.....I don’t think many, if any, would be bothered if he went, but the ‘push’ still isn’t there. 

There is a rather depressing general mood though, not like the last two seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I have said it a dozen times, he is out his depth at this football club and sets up in fear of losing.

We are the biggest job of his career and he has been found out in my eyes.

We need to move him on for his own health and our own future too.

Wyness said it himself in a YouTube interview last year when he said Bruce hardly sleeps at night through fear of losing - this club like Sunderland were too big for him to manage - he’s fine at small clubs like hull and blues 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, allani said:

I don't understand it either.  But I just can't see Bruce getting sacked this week with 3 games.

Agreed. While I understand their decision to keep him out of necessity, at least for a short time, I think they should have got rid of him before now to save the season.

I can only think they are taking an unhurried approach, and have decided that this season will be sacrificed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I was also at the game and there sounded like booing from our end at half time. 

There were a lot of fans complaining around me and saying that it's time for Bruce to go because he doesn't know how to pick the right team and he's too defensive. 

For me personally, he seems clueless as to how to pick a balanced side. We have a great attacking squad of players but seem unable to create many chances. We need a forward thinking manager who isn't afraid to make other teams worry about us instead of us worrying about them. 

Agree. Very little singing but much dissatisfaction- and I’d say practically unanimous agreement that he is way too cautious, whatever else he is.

I always go on my own so chat with different people each time. Not one person I’ve spoken to is in the least impressed that “ we’ve only lost one game” ( it’s 2 actually anyway) - it’s seen ( rightly in my view) as the sort of comment Relegation candidates make. 

“ We’ve only Won 2 games (3 actually !) is by far the more relevant comment I hear ( and agree with).

In the end the football can be rubbish or great, the team play well or poorly, the selections make sense or not, but the one thing that turns away fans off quickly - in my view - is a failure to Win.

He is on borrowed time. The only reason he is here ( and will remain here unless his health suffers further) is the unavailability of the Owners preferred candidate. If his health goes I can see Delaney taking over short term.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eastie said:

Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce: "We will get better, but when you ask the question 'Will I ever win them over?', who knows.

"I'll let other people judge me. I've been promoted four times and nearly got there last year. 

"I took over Aston Villa were near the bottom of the Championship. 

"I really don't have to defend myself.

"I understand their frustration because it's always change. 

"We've got to stop the change of it. If the club's ever going to be successful, then we've got to stop this change of players, squads, managers, coaches because it becomes endless."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-steve-bruce-asking-after-15157846

Is he trying to convince himself or us - GET RID !

Its his opinion, it has validity and he is entitled to it.

but how does he account for turgid offerings his teams dish up every match....how does he account for the magnitude of the basic failings of individual players during a game....and how does he account for pundits of knowledgable standing commenting that our 11 players don't resemble a team.

That can only go on for so long Steve.....and someone who has won 4 promotions and captained Man U .....should know this.

We may be fans and we don't know the warts 'n all of Bodymoor Heath, but we know what a fully functioning team with cohesion looks like.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Wyness said it himself in a YouTube interview last year when he said Bruce hardly sleeps at night through fear of losing - this club like Sunderland were too big for him to manage - he’s fine at small clubs like hull and blues 

I think he is decent bloke, who has lost his way......he should pack it in for the sake of his family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

Before any of those games were played you would expect a return of 8 points at least. Then, we play 10 men and draw at Ipswich, concede a late equaliser to Reading and you see why we didn't get the additional 4 points. 

On the flip side, we could so easily have lost the 2 points we took against Brentford and Blackburn. 

When we struggle against Reading, Ipswich, Blackburn and Wigan you can see why the fans are so concerned. 

You only have to watch each match, to know the league table is nòt worth looking at.

you can write off this season as another, yes another WIP

not sure when we will be ready.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

You only have to watch each match, to know the league table is nòt worth looking at.

you can write off this season as another, yes another WIP

not sure when we will be ready.

I think this season is still possible to get promotion but not with Bruce at the helm - make the change quickly and we can still achieve our aim but the longer we continue with Bruce the lesser our chances will be -surely if he fails to win these 2 home games the axe will fall ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think this season is still possible to get promotion but not with Bruce at the helm - make the change quickly and we can still achieve our aim but the longer we continue with Bruce the lesser our chances will be -surely if he fails to win these 2 home games the axe will fall ?

I am no where near as opposed to that as i was.....but we do have to be realistic here.

I think we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.....SB does have a knack of getting decent names in to the club, but seems to fail to blend them, to-date.

If we take a new manager that level of contact may change and we have to be sure the end product will be worth making.

I don't think it is clear what we are actually trying to do......bar just scramble our way out of this division.....it seems that everything is on hold until we reach the holy grail of the prem.

I do not understand why we can't get these allegedly superior players of ours to impose themselves on the opposition.....Steve Bruce must be made to answer that question.

If we are to take a new manager a clear mandate needs to be declared as to what route we are taking.

I am totally unconvinced in the direction we are presently on.

I think we are just simply treading water.

ps are most of the players we have brought in ,targets from his Hull days?

Edited by TRO

“"We've got to stop the change of it. If the club's ever going to be successful, then we've got to stop this change of players, squads, managers, coaches because it becomes endless." -Steve Bruce

seen that posted here before.  It was nonsense then, too.  Every team changes constantly.  Most of the teams promoted in this league and above us have managers with shorter tenure.  Every team signs players every year.  It’s the excuses and rationalizations that do my head in almost as badly as the poor job performance itself.  

24 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I am still unconvinced anybody but Bruce will do.....i think that is fanciful.

I think if you look at the opposition.....i totally agree.

If you look at us.........i am not so sure.

Edited by TRO

Â