Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Thing is we don’t all get interested or excited by the same thing. Liverpool were always famous for “ pass and move” and I found them very dull to watch. Many others. Villa have never played pass and move type football, whether Saunders, BFR, GT, Sir Brian, Gregory, or MON we’ve always played a more graft and wingers style...and I love it in irs various incarnations.

As for ‘tiki takka’ another fashionable style, it bores me stiff whether it’s Spain, Swansea, or Stourport. 

So by all means dislike what you see, but don’t assume we all like the same thing.

We played some lovely one touch football under Little, I've yet to see anything of the kind in two years under Bruce. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That we have been able to do that  under bruce. Thought that was obvious.

You could count the times on one hand, and he's been here for two years. He's not exactly known for his " scintillating " football. So no, it wasn't that obvious.

Constructive criticism is healthy in any organisation....It challenges the status quo.

I think where the eye brows raise a tad, is when criticism is aimed and it has a leaning to becoming personal.....I have no doubt some fans are relating to the football that Bruce presides over,as opposed to him personally but some do have a tendency to be personal craftily wrapped in a veil thats called football....People who don't like Steve Bruce will never change, irrespective of what he does, so its just a moot point......There are some that see no wrong in him at all.....and others like me who fundamentally like the guy and rate him overall, but not entirely convinced on the football on display, close but not quite there for me.

I see all the mitigation, so my comments on the football is more observation, than criticism.

I think he is a good manager as a general rule.....I get frustrated in what I see on occasions, but In my own mind, I am uncertain where the problem really lies.....Is he and his team poor coaches or is some of the players not good enough in certain aspects of their play.....I tend to lean on the latter.

However, I am not lost on What Biesla has done at Leeds in such a short time....we will see.....short term and long term is quite a different

I see McGinn as an example.....He came in and what I saw from that player, has come intrinsically from him....no outside influence from any of our coaches, not enough time.....but BAM it come from the heart that display.

I want to see a striker with that same attitude.

I want to see Steve raise the bar in terms of signings, not necessarily expensive ones....blimey JM was reportedly 2.75 m.....but more importantly the right ones who can bring something to us ,like him.

Its not BIG money thats the key, its the fluidity to trade and pounce on a bargain, just like we have just done.

We have spent 45 million on 3 strikers, who don't score  for us.......Its a hell of a burden to our club and probably a very large portion of our overall problem.....That hampers the manager.

I have a hunch these new guys will add much needed nous to the Villa Administration....and SB will be on his toes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You could count the times on one hand, and he's been here for two years. He's not exactly known for his " scintillating " football. So no, it wasn't that obvious.

You can? 4-1 wolves  4-0 ipswich 4-0 burton Barnsley 3-0, 3-0 Sunderland 3-0 reading 

That seems more than one hand to me 

I’m happy at the moment as the pressure is on Bruce in a good way, he either gets results or the new owners will be on him and questioning it. As a manager he had it relatively easy under Xia for all his bluster, I don’t think the new guys will be quite as gentle. That’s how it should be. Can only be good for us as a club. If he stays it means he is doing a good job and I’m happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You can? 4-1 wolves  4-0 ipswich 4-0 burton Barnsley 3-0, 3-0 Sunderland 3-0 reading 

some people do have 6 fingers.?

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Pass and move/playing on the break/getting it wide/tikataka/gegenpressing. Whatever floats your boat.

Having a distinct plan is key. We don't have one.

I think we do.....we just have some players who are not executing it.

watch this space.....strength will be arriving.

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That does not presume scintillating football, I suggest you watch the Leeds game to understand what scintillating football looks like.

15 hours ago, TRO said:

When Steve first came in he intimated the team had no belief, mental strength or will to win, he went for a policy of experience, which was right imo......He has been here a while now and instilled much of that in to them.....from where we were, he has done a sterling job.

Its now time for phase 2.....The team has stability, He needs to pursue a policy now of power,pace and movement.

This project is ready for phase 2.....its now time.

I don't see how failure can be classed as a " Stirling job " TRO - he must get out of bed in the morning and do a little jig of delight he still has the job imo 

16 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I don't see how failure can be classed as a " Stirling job " TRO - he must get out of bed in the morning and do a little jig of delight he still has the job imo 

In terms of Promotion....Yes,  he has failed so far.

In terms of improvement as a team yes he has improved us, since his arrival......we have plateaued a bit In my opinion and lost 4/5 of our players from last season.....so we will see if we can get back on track in terms of strength of squad and quality of play......McGinn is an encouraging acquisition.

Good start though Dave with a depleted squad so the modest opposition fixtures ( on paper) has been fortunate to allow us to get some bodies in.

However, not to digress , but Wigan maybe seen as just coming up, but had 4 loan players in their line up from Premier League clubs.

• Like 1

Like I always say, I enjoy it when the debate in this thread is about style of football. 

It usually means we’re winning football matches and there’s nothing else to moan about. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day it's about results (for me personally), we keep winning then I'm happy regardless of who's in charge. 

One look at the Man United boards and how they are embittered towards Jose Mourinho after one **** game speaks volumes, don't be a Manchester United fan ffs, just enjoy the wins! 

Has anyone considered that we don’t need a style of football if we are winning? 

Or that the style we play is the style and the plan that Bruce wants us to play, it’s not that he hasn’t got a plan but that is actually the plan that you’re saying isn’t a plan? 

I don’t know, too much focus on not having a plan when maybe you just don’t see the plan. I’ve never written plan so much before haha. 

• Like 1

Â