Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Snodgrass and Johnstone were 2 of our better players last season, Tuanzebe looked decent but got injured, Grabban scored 8 and Onomah... well, he could've been better I guess :D.

Either way, not exactly a bad track record?

Seem to recall there was a fella called Terry as well, who he met on the golf course in Portugal!

But when you’re talking to people whose default is to regard Bruce as a “moron”, I doubt whether facts like this will play very well.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, terrytini said:

Thanks @TheStagMan.

Im particularly intrigued to learn that “ Micah Richards will fully depreciate this year” as I was under the impression he’d undergone that particular process years ago ?

19 hours ago, terrytini said:

Aha !

@kiltorken suggests as regards Micah Richards that “there is nothing to depreciate at all “........that sounds more like it lol

LOL ?

Footballing skill aside, there is a possibility that Richards may have been paid a "signing fee/bonus" which could have been treated the same way as a transfer fee and depreciated over the lifetime of his contract. I don't know if such a payment was made, but if it was, you would hope it was relatively small, but financially there *could* be something left to depreciate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope. But the rest of us who have dared to suggest such a thing have just got bored of the usual suspects shouting at us. 

Just to be clear, I have long been a Bruce critic, I have not “shouted” about his transfers.  I have however been “shouted at” when critical of actions and decisions starting in the first January he was here.  Our current state appears to confirm af least one or two of my complaints.  Feel free to shout me down.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Do we have ZERO youth good enough to step up?

Seems like ages since we had a home grown defender good enough to be back up even at this level.

I mean there was Baker but, we know how that story went.

Suliman seems to have been a "top prospect" forever.

Defensively it's a huge risk to have youth step up. Suliman and Bedeau had a good season for our U23s, but it doesn't seem like they are ready to be our #3 guy which is what they'd need to be. Suliman struggled in league 2, and Bedeau is still very young. In the championship, you need to have at least 3 good center backs to go up. 

I would like to see them given minutes, but not potential starters though. Clark is also another guy I'd like to see slowly incorporated. 

Midfield we are looking a bit better. Lyden I think is a good sub option for us this season already. He is always hurt, but if he stays fit, I'd like to see him given minutes in the DM spot. O'hare obviously needs more chances. I don't think he is as good as people make him seem, but he deserves to prove himself. 

Then obviously we have decent striking options. Hepburn-Murphey is a real talent if he can stay fit. I would love to see him coming on as a sub in most matches. Davis has been hovering around for a while now too. Then even McKirdy who has done well for our U23s. 

• Like 2

On 10/07/2018 at 10:17, striker said:

As I said before it's a no lose situation for Bruce now.

Start badly the excuses are there. Struggle throughout the season at the lower end of the table the excuses are there.

Villa surprise most and hover around top ten. Heralded as a miracle worker and enhances reputation ten fold.

He can't lose by staying. He isn't stupid.

Said this all along. He’s in a brilliant situation as a mediocre manager. Why would he leave?

• Like 4

On 13/07/2018 at 08:48, bobzy said:

Also, am I the only one who feels having Bruce as manager during a period of financial hardship is a good thing?  I imagine he has good contacts for getting in decent loan players if it comes down to that.

I honestly don't - he has shown very little to suggest this imo - but it's looking like we might need him to and this is a worry 

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

I honestly don't - he has shown very little to suggest this imo - but it's looking like we might need him to and this is a worry 

Given he walked out on Hull under extreme financial hardship I'm not sure I'd look at Bruce with a huge amount of confidence. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Given he walked out on Hull under extreme financial hardship I'm not sure I'd look at Bruce with a huge amount of confidence. 

Had his promotion bonus in his back pocket.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

What were they shouting ? " Arse covering " ?

Probably. Despite the fact it hadn’t nothing to do with arse covering. Which says it all really. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

A mediocre manager most likely aiming for mid - table mediocrity. Hand in glove.

I despair.

If he can achieve mid table mediocrity with all the chaos going on this season, I will take off my hat to him.

• Like 2

I can't believe how hard we are trying to make this for Bruce!

Not only does he not yet have an idea who his first team will be, which would only give him a few weeks to prepare, but he won't know till the second week of the season.

To make things even worse most of our decent players will be taken on deadline day (when we will be forced to take peanuts for our only hopes of success). He will then be tasked with building a team from the leftovers, who naturally will be pretty low on moral.

Well done Dr Tony!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Is deadline day early this year?

Deadline Day news

There will be two transfer Deadline Days in August, with the Premier League and EFL windows shutting before the other major leagues around Europe. Here's all you need to know about the summer transfer window...

In a move designed to end disruption and allow clubs to focus on their football, Premier League clubs have agreed to close the summer transfer window before the start of the 2018-19 season.

So, August the 9th for PL transfer deadline day this year.

Edited by NeilS
Re-do link

4 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Deadline Day news

There will be two transfer Deadline Days in August, with the Premier League and EFL windows shutting before the other major leagues around Europe. Here's all you need to know about the summer transfer window...

In a move designed to end disruption and allow clubs to focus on their football, Premier League clubs have agreed to close the summer transfer window before the start of the 2018-19 season.

So, August the 9th for PL transfer deadline day this year.

In typical villa style, we will go through the English window not selling then anyone, and thinking the squad is fine, then a week later we lose 3 players to Europe 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

In typical villa style, we will go through the English window not selling then anyone, and thinking the squad is fine, then a week later we lose 3 players to Europe 

I vote we pull the plug on the fax machine and phone line until the window ends and Jack is still here. We may have been cut off by that point anyway. ?

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I vote we pull the plug on the fax machine and phone line until the window ends and Jack is still here. We may have been cut off by that point anyway. ?

well under current ownership we are probably not paying the phone bill

Â