Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't really see why it's so hard to understand. We came within 90 minutes of promotion, and I think that's a good effort. I get that you don't, but I do. 

That doesn't explain why people have no problem with sticking with him and going backwards. 

That would explain why people would want another shot of promotion this upcoming season. But people acknowledge that won't happen yet still want him to stay. 

No other manager I can remember has been afforded that 

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

That's cos he did. A completely and utterly screwed up mess of a club in pretty much every aspect.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I don't agree, I think he inherited a club turning a corner. Freshly out of a very miserable patch in its history, without doubt. To his credit he got them results better than RDM immediately and therefore bought himself time.

Then you haven't followed Villa for very long or have a very bad memory.

Turning  a corner? What an absolutely moronic statement. Getting relegated for the first time in 30 years.

Edited by TheAuthority
grammar
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

A tight game ? We didn't even turn up for the first 45 minutes.  And even with all that 2nd half possession, there was nothing controlled or any guile to it. The word frantic comes to mind. I don't  even recall us winning a corner. We were never going to score after conceding, and after  that first- half performance, we got what we deserved. It was a disaster and nothing less.

An absolute disaster - 1-0!!! They pummeled us  one - to - nil. One!!!! all over us!! ONE NIL - WE WERE HAMMERED!!!!!!!

Dissolve the club. Rip it up and start again. Villa of Aston United FC for me. What we have now is never going to be good enough.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How come nobody is considering the fact Bruce has never actually experienced a relegation battle in this league? 

This will be something very new to him. 

Do you really think we will be in one?

Even losing a few key players our squad should be strong enough for at least mid table.

• Like 2

If people wanted to stick with bruce because they think he will get us up, i'd disagree but at least understand it to some extent. But it doesn't seem to be the case, its stick with bruce because of stability. Why do we want to stabilise our position in this league?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do you really think we will be in one?

Even losing a few key players our squad should be strong enough for at least mid table.

I thought we could be in one even before the news of our finances were revealed. 

I don’t think we have a balanced squad right now and I also think it’s very fine margins in this league. 

On top of that I fear the worse in terms of player sales. 

I think people are underestimating how difficult this league can be. 

I thought we could be in one even before the news of our finances were revealed. 

I don’t think we have a balanced squad right now and I also think it’s very fine margins in this league. 

On top of that I fear the worse in terms of player sales. 

I think people are underestimating how difficult this league can be. 

Difficult to get up but the fact birmingham city are still in in shows me it isn't difficult to remain. We have easily enough to not worry about it

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

An absolute disaster - 1-0!!! They pummeled us  one - to - nil. One!!!! all over us!! ONE NIL - WE WERE HAMMERED!!!!!!!

Dissolve the club. Rip it up and start again. Villa of Aston United FC for me. What we have now is never going to be good enough.

Er..what?

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If people wanted to stick with bruce because they think he will get us up, i'd disagree but at least understand it to some extent. But it doesn't seem to be the case, its stick with bruce because of stability. Why do we want to stabilise our position in this league?

It's the middle of July and none of us really knows how bad the situation is in the club. I'll never now presume it's destined to be a disaster. As mentioned in another context by another this 'fizzy pop league' is nowhere near the quality of the prem. I don't presume we won't be able to compete. I hope he can get us continuing to be effective and I hope we do compete. As I say nobody knows the truth of the situation and a lot of the reactions here seem a bit hysterical tbh. 

Edited by praisedmambo

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

It's the middle of July and none of us really knows how bad the situation is in the club. I'll never now presume it's destined to be a disaster. As mentioned in another context by you this 'fizzy pop league' is nowhere near the quality of the prem. I don't presume we won't be able to compete. I hope he can get us continuing to be effective and I hope we do compete. As I say nobody knows the truth of the situation and a lot of the reactions here seem a bit hysterical tbh. 

Fair enough. But then if he couldn't achieve the target set with the vast resources he had last year, what makes you think he can do it with less? And is just staying competitive but not achieving promotion just another way of cementing our future in this league?

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

We finished 4th ffs. The reactions on here make it seem like we finished 20th. It's crazy. 

Its that thinking that has caused arsenal to slip away from the top of the league. We have one aim as a club, to get out of this league. Finishing 4th did not achieve it, how does it help us achieve it in the future?

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Fair enough. But then if he couldn't achieve the target set with the vast resources he had last year, what makes you think he can do it with less? And is just staying competitive but not achieving promotion just another way of cementing our future in this league?

No, I want us to challenge for promotion. We had good periods last year without Jack (still hope he stays anyway and the truth is things aren't as bad as thought). I think we can compete for promotion. Teams getting better with stability in the manager is common. I bet it's as much or more common than taking a punt on another manager. 

I said it yesterday but everyone remembers the Howes and the Warners but nobody remembers all the many failures. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Difficult to get up but the fact birmingham city are still in in shows me it isn't difficult to remain. We have easily enough to not worry about it

Birmingham City were in relegation battle all season following big spending. They were actually aiming for playoffs at the start of the season. As were Sunderland no doubt. 

We should have enough to stay up Bruce or no Bruce but it won’t be pretty. 

It maybe wishful thinking to think a new manager can take us forward. Maybe too soon.

15 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

No, I want us to challenge for promotion. We had good periods last year without Jack (still hope he stays anyway and the truth is things aren't as bad as thought). I think we can compete for promotion. Teams getting better with stability in the manager is common. I bet it's as much or more common than taking a punt on another manager. 

I said it yesterday but everyone remembers the Howes and the Warners but nobody remembers all the many failures. 

I don't have faith he makes us better, but your point of view is one I can get behind. The idea of just sticking with him with no expectation to fight for promotion is madness to me. 

• Like 2

Birmingham City were in relegation battle all season following big spending. They were actually aiming for playoffs at the start of the season. As were Sunderland no doubt. 

We should have enough to stay up Bruce or no Bruce but it won’t be pretty. 

It maybe wishful thinking to think a new manager can take us forward. Maybe too soon.

I just feel now that we have lost our financial edge, that we need a more long term plan. And for me Bruce isn't that type.

15 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I think teams that normally get promotion after a few years of trying normally improve year on year.  It’s rare a team would be weakened but improve on the previous year.

Its also very unlikely we will be stronger next year. We’ve already lost a player responsible for 23 of our goals and then there’s a our captain and a steady keeper we’ve lost. Grabbans goals were pretty crucial in keeping us in the hunt to. 

A lot will depend on if we can do decent transfer business.  Bruce or whoever is in charge has their biggest challenge ever.

I don’t think we can rely on youngsters either. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just feel now that we have lost our financial edge, that we need a more long term plan. And for me Bruce isn't that type.

I agree but I do think next season may be just a fight to steady ourselves and stay in the league. After that point we can build.  Bruce is probably capable of that. 

A new manager with new ideas at this point could end up being a Garde type situation. 

Right guy, wrong time. 

• Like 2

Â