Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Worryingly that could be true. Bruce is the right manager to make us difficult beat even with a much weaker squad. The problem of course is that it implies we will be ~midtable trying to get a playoff spot. Also you could say that Bruce is the right manager to get the best out of less skillful/talented players which no doubt we will be in the market for as funds will be tight. 

Like Jack Grealish? or Robert Snodgrass.

You really do have a jaundiced view of the man.

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So these are the expectations now. What on earth is a solid season? 

What an easy job he now has. No expectations, loads of excuses and fans always jumping to his defence. He must be over the moon he has managed to end up here. 

Bruce going into his 3rd playing season in charge is a true indication of the mess we have become. 

Another wasted year then. Excellent. 

The expectations are adjusted based on the financial disarray we’ve got ourselves into. 

Forget promotion next season. Bruce or no Bruce. 

It ain’t happening. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The expectations are adjusted based on the financial disarray we’ve got ourselves into. 

It ain’t happening. 

Unlikely but first we need to see who exactly we lose and bring in. 

And this is what makes me angry about the situation. Set a task, failed it, makes the task harder to complete because of the failure then set task with much lower expectations. 

That doesn't sit right with me but it does sum up the abysmal way this club has and is run

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So these are the expectations now. What on earth is a solid season? 

What an easy job he now has. No expectations, loads of excuses and fans always jumping to his defence. He must be over the moon he has managed to end up here. 

Bruce going into his 3rd playing season in charge is a true indication of the mess we have become. 

Another wasted year then. Excellent. 

I really don't get this.

Why does Steve Bruce or any manager for that matter have to be put in to, what is tantamount to thumb screws, in order for him to perform.....just maybe the opposite is required.

Nuno, wasn't expected to go up at the start of the season......Warnock was not expected to go up, in fact he baulked at the thought....and to my knowledge despite making the play offs the season before, neither was Jokanovic.

All teams need that bit of fortune, that they gel....Momentum obviously favoured Wolves and Cardiff very early on and it continued.

We had some very experienced players on paper, but ageing, so that divided opinion alone....However, despite some obvious setbacks we nearly did it.

Bruce is not an indication of the mess we have become, he has just failed to get us up....The Finances are the result of other incompetences....He does not sign off transfer fees or wages...He just suggests the players to get us up and he nearly did.

Who could have foreseen Jacks Injury, Who could have foreseen John Terry's injury.

It is unfair in my opinion, to miss out by the odd goal and then unpick the whole season because of it.....We won 24 games, 72 goals for, 42 against.....it wasn't quite enough, it could have been and we would have gone up and perhaps been none the wiser.

sometimes things happen and at the time seem catastrophic and in time serve to be better.....as they say "every cloud has a silver lining".........perhaps that could look stupid right now.....lets revisit that in a couple of seasons time.

No season is wasted.....There is not a season in our history that is wasted, you learn from every one.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I really don't get this.

Why does Steve Bruce or any manager for that matter have to be put in to, what is tantamount to thumb screws, in order for him to perform.....just maybe the opposite is required.

Nuno, wasn't expected to go up at the start of the season......Warnock was not expected to go up, in fact he baulked at the thought....and to my knowledge despite making the play offs the season before, neither was Jokanovic.

All teams need that bit of fortune, that they gel....Momentum obviously favoured Wolves and Cardiff very early on and it continued.

We had some very experienced players on paper, but ageing, so that divided opinion alone....However, despite some obvious setbacks we nearly did it.

Bruce is not an indication of the mess we have become, he has just failed to get us up....The Finances are the result of other incompetences....He does not sign off transfer fees or wages...He just suggests the players to get us up and he nearly did.

Who could have foreseen Jacks Injury, Who could have foreseen John Terry's injury.

It is unfair in my opinion, to miss out by the odd goal and then unpick the whole season because of it.....We won 24 games, 72 goals for, 42 against.....it wasn't quite enough, it could have been and we would have gone up and perhaps been none the wiser.

sometimes things happen and at the time seem catastrophic and in time serve to be better.....as they say "every cloud has a silver lining".........perhaps that could look stupid right now.....lets revisit that in a couple of seasons time.

No season is wasted.....There is not a season in our history that is wasted, you learn from every one.

Yeah lets see. 

We failed to go up with the resources he had, so what will he do to improve us with limited resources? And if we aren't looking to improve, what are we sticking with him for? 

What do you want from him TRO? You seem to not care what actually happens results wise, so what do you want from him? One more year? Are you happy for him to just stay regardless of how long we spend down here?

What is the plan behind sticking with steve bruce if we are taking promotion of the cards?

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure how that's even comparable, but yes?

It's comparable because you've taken the last two years of SB's managerial career and said that as he didnt achieve his top goal (promotion) he is a failure. 

Pretty sure Mourinho's top goal at United has been to win the league the last two seasons, which he's failed to do. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It ain’t happening. 

Thats the spirit ?

MAte how is it that clubs with FAR inferior resources have gotten promoted before us?

EDIT: Most of us know the answer... and it's not about the money.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

I genuinely can't remember a time where people have wanted a manager to continue, with it being completely acceptable to go backwards and achieve nothing. 

Mon, Houllier, Mcleish, lambert and RDM never had it. Utterly amazed that steve bruce is the one to get it 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Steve is our spirit guide as we come to terms with our slow painful death as a premier league club. Only when we come to terms with our demise will we understand that Steve Bruce holds the key to being reborn. You heard it here first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It ain’t happening. 

We do not know the make up of the side yet so how can you possibly say that! It may be your opinion,which i respect, but it certainly isn't a fact.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Thats the spirit ?

MAte how is it that clubs with FAR inferior resources have gotten promoted before us?

When you look at Huddersfield and Cardiff its hard to argue that we should have no thought about it. 

• Like 1

I get why people think we should go for someone else. For me if we are really struggling just to pay salaries at the club and stay afloat, I think we should stick with Bruce. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There's an ignore feature on this site. You can add me to that if you have such a problem with my posting style, rather than comment on it every time I post. It would save us both some time.

I do Stevo - I don't understand the necessity to come across in the manner which you do on so many of your posts - however it is a forum and I constantly beat the drum about all posts should be welcome so on this basis - I would like to offer a virtual olive branch to you and move forward in a positive manner - yes I am sure going disagree with you on most things you post - but hey shall we be a little more grown up about it - deal ?

18 minutes ago, MapleVilla said:

I get why people think we should go for someone else. For me if we are really struggling just to pay salaries at the club and stay afloat, I think we should stick with Bruce. Just my two cents.

But are we? Hutton just got a new deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

I'm not totally convinced either way but I tend to think that Bruce's weak points will be exaggerated further having less resources to play with. I'd expect him to keep us well organised off the ball but I can see us struggling even more at the other aspects of the game and without a few star turns I don't see any evidence that he can put out a side that can keep the ball, or threaten in any other way than on the counter. Before the cracks often got papered over by some individual skill on the flanks, or from Jack making something etc. Looks like he will not have that luxury.

Managers that can get a team playing nice football that is more than the sum of it's parts are about, I struggle to see Bruce doing it to be fair, he couldn't with money to spunk on wages and transfers. Why is he likely to do it now? 

This is basically a sum of my fears regarding Bruce.

I just don't see us magically becoming a better tactical outfit with a team of lesser players.

Don't get me wrong it's been done but it would mean that for one reason or another the group that finished fourth were not playing to Bruce's expectations(something I highly doubt), or we strike lucky and find that Bruce's go to methods for getting it right were not his best because he manages to instill better systems in a different team (something I highly doubt).

I agree with @TRO that the weight of expectation can come at a cost, but it can also motivate, and I think the best will find the hype adds to their drive.

I will wait and see what my expectations of the club are after all this uncertainty becomes more clear.

52 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I genuinely can't remember a time where people have wanted a manager to continue, with it being completely acceptable to go backwards and achieve nothing. 

Mon, Houllier, Mcleish, lambert and RDM never had it. Utterly amazed that steve bruce is the one to get it 

Just playing devils advocate, but there's an argument there to say that each of those managers did worse than the person before them, apart from Bruce.

Â