Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

53 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Didn't you know? The 3 points from those 1-0 wins don't count as much.

But the 11 games where we scored 12 goals and didn't get a win in any of them certainly counted to us not going up. I guess the argument should be more geared to our shit defence?

Steve Bruce exit from Aston Villa looking imminent. Leeds bound. #AVFC #LUFC

I wouldn't believe everything in the Birmingham mail. I've been told it's very unlikely SB will be at Villa next year. Leeds are keen. Villa don't want to pay him off. Leeds don't want to pay for him. So a mutual termination is likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not fussed if he stays or goes to be honest.

The thing that'll annoy me is that every shortcoming of the new manager for the next 18 months will be blamed on Bruce. If we don't play football, it'll be because Bruce wasted money etc. 

I want a coach, not a manager we won't be signing loads of players, we need to get the best of those we have. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

We did. But we scored something like 25 of those goals in 6 games, meaning the other 47 came in 40 games.

Gotta love a good stat.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Ahh, doesn't count then. Fair enough.

It does count, but that statistics confirm that we played defensively in most games. 

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

You don't agree that we for most of the games set up defensively and to be hard to beat?

Set up defensively ? That's right I don't. Id say we stopped doing that around about Burton Away...and I went to pretty much every game Home and Away.

Hard to beat - yes, but that's not the same.

Nothing defensive about playing a Striker Plus Jack, Snodgrass, Albert and CH.....and with Fullbacks getting forward.

But I was more responding to your observation about what the statistics confirmed, which is different to opinions - they don't confirm either view.

Couple of weeks ago I'd have been really happy about him going but it really could be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Especially with our team almost certainly going to be weakened next year, he is a master at achieving promotion with bang average teams. 

9 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

You don't agree that we for most of the games set up defensively and to be hard to beat?

but you are assuming that with a new manager, we will be attacking and still hard to beat....fine if we can do it.....its what we all want.

but we could just as easily revert back to RDM style.....attacking and easy to beat.

72 goals does not suggest we had no interest in attack.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Set up defensively ? That's right I don't. Id say we stopped doing that around about Burton Away...and I went to pretty much every game Home and Away.

Hard to beat - yes, but that's not the same.

Nothing defensive about playing a Striker Plus Jack, Snodgrass, Albert and CH.....and with Fullbacks getting forward.

But I was more responding to your observation about what the statistics confirmed, which is different to opinions - they don't confirm either view.

Definitely agree with this, I'm just judging the stats differently. Whichever way you look at it we scored 72 goals (3rd highest in the league), but the pessimist in me doesn't see it as much of a positive because I'm still sulking that we failed to get promoted.

I would have just liked to have traded one of the 4-0's for a 2-0 and then a 2-1 in the Play-off final. ?

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

Couple of weeks ago I'd have been really happy about him going but it really could be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Especially with our team almost certainly going to be weakened next year, he is a master at achieving promotion with bang average teams. 

Maybe that's it. We were too good to go up as Bruce only works his magic with "bang average" teams.

Â