Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

52 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

@Demitri_C Just look at the other teams in the league that have put together competitive sides on a shoestring. Even the unwashed down the road managed to put together a play-off push with a team of frees and loans! (Until they showed Rowett the curb).

Look at Preston and how much their players have cost, and where they finished in the league! Daniel Johnson is their starting midfielder, who we let go.

Following on from that, and regarding our youngsters, Jordan Graham was playing regularly at Wolves (until they started spending the Fosun cash), who we let go. Callum Robinson is a regular at Preston, again, who we let go. Bennett and Hogg were deemed not good enough, and they've both achieved promotion while we've continued with buying the 'tried and tested' players on high wages. 'Tried and Failed', is more accurate.

Just because our youngsters have previously not hit the heights, in terms of performance, of experienced pros like Snodgrass or Kodjia, does not mean that they're all of a sudden League 2 quality. Green, Hepburn-Murphy, O'Hare, Davies, Steer, Bree & Doyle-Hayes could all be part of competitive Championship sides, providing they had some experienced heads alongside them. The trick that any Villa manager will have this season, will be successfully integrating them with some experience - of which we'll still have plenty, because let's face it, we're not going to be able to shift BOTH of Whelan and Jedinak, and I'd hazard a guess that McCormack won't be going anywhere, and if reports are to be believed, Hutton could stay on a reduced contract.

To some people I'm probably too optimistic, but for me, I just don't think that we're all of a sudden going to become relegation fodder just because we're losing Chester, Grealish, Snodgrass, Johnstone and Kodjia.

But smaller clubs circle the wagons in adversity - all hands to the pump etc.

Bigger clubs tear themselves apart - see Sunderland last season.  

Steve Bruce will not be shocked by any of the financial revelations we're just seeing, and it should be in doubt some of these wage figures being happily banded about as fact. If Bruce is offski, it will because he's got a better offer and something's come up at Villa he didn't know was coming. Maybe Wyness' exit will affect him, but if Round is still there then maybe not.

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Steve Bruce will not be shocked by any of the financial revelations we're just seeing, and it should be in doubt some of these wage figures being happily banded about as fact. If Bruce is offski, it will because he's got a better offer and something's come up at Villa he didn't know was coming. Maybe Wyness' exit will affect him, but if Round is still there then maybe not.

Of course he wont but his reputation will look better if he said he didnt. Which i suspect he will say

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It's  a real shame your post was made to be more "like i told you so" when at the time it was overly negative as you say it dint take a rocket scientist under our wages

So you knew jedinak was on 50k a week and lansbury was on 40k a week? Of course you did.

I still don’t know what those two players earn.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I admire the positive side but if this current squad couldnt do it I can't see how a side without the owns mentioned will be anywhere near able to compete rob.

It’s hard to imagine and visualise a competitive side without the players that we’ve lost and are likely to lose because we don’t know who they’re going to be replaced by, but let’s be realistic here, it’s not like they’re not going to be replaced. There are plenty of experienced championship players that can be picked up for peanuts (£1m and below). Look at Lansbury and Hourihane.

I know the financial landscape has changed since a few years ago, but we were able to pick up players like Westwood and Bennett for peanuts when Lambert was here. There’s nothing to say we won’t be able to do the same again.

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

It’s hard to imagine and visualise a competitive side without the players that we’ve lost and are likely to lose because we don’t know who they’re going to be replaced by, but let’s be realistic here, it’s not like they’re not going to be replaced. There are plenty of experienced championship players that can be picked up for peanuts (£1m and below). Look at Lansbury and Hourihane.

I know the financial landscape has changed since a few years ago, but we were able to pick up players like Westwood and Bennett for peanuts when Lambert was here. There’s nothing to say we won’t be able to do the same again.

We have no money to spend any sorts of fees at present if all the speculation about our finances are true. I can't see it. Maybe a few loans and a couple freebies but I can't see how we intend to havw anywhere near as strong a squad as we had this year.

The play off final absolutely murdered us

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We have no money to spend any sorts of fees at present if all the speculation about our finances are true. I can't see it. Maybe a few loans and a couple freebies but I can't see how we intend to havw anywhere near as strong a squad as we had this year.

The play off final absolutely murdered us

That's just it, at the moment it's still mostly unfounded speculation, and a big "IF". Losing the final will no doubt have hampered us, but we don't yet know the full extent of the "crisis". Let's just wait and see, I have this niggling feeling we'll be alright. Honestly I'm mostly happy we're not going to have a squad filled with overpaid mercenaries next season. We have some stellar kids coming through, and with a new manager hopefully coming in, we'll at least have some hope for the future. 

• Like 1

We all know the football was unpleasant to watch, nobody enjoys watching hoofball. However, the Bruce lovers continually remind us of the number of goals we scored last season. What they forget is the scary statistic that 31 times in 49 games we only scored 1 or 0 with he most expensive squad the championship has ever seen. That's what bit us in the ass.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

What they forget is the scary statistic that 31 times in 49 games we only scored 1 or 0 with he most expensive squad the championship has ever seen. That's what bit us in the ass.

Yet we scored 72 goals in the league, only Wolves & Fulham scored more!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Unused Sub said:

Yet we scored 72 goals in the league, only Wolves & Fulham scored more!

We did. But we scored something like 25 of those goals in 6 games, meaning the other 47 came in 40 games.

Gotta love a good stat.

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We did. But we scored something like 25 of those goals in 6 games, meaning the other 47 came in 40 games.

Gotta love a good stat.

Ahh, doesn't count then. Fair enough.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, USA_Villa said:

What they forget is the scary statistic that 31 times in 49 games we only scored 1 or 0

Hardly scary is it. 

Over 46 games;

Only 3 teams finished above us 

Only 2 teams had better goal difference (wolves Fulham) 

Only 2 teams scored more than us (wolves Fulham) 

Only 2 teams conceded less (wolves Cardiff) 

When you have one of the best defenses in the league you only need to score once to win most the time, the fact you've tried use that against us is just daft. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Hardly scary is it. 

Over 46 games;

Only 3 teams finished above us 

Only 2 teams had better goal difference (wolves Fulham) 

Only 2 teams scored more than us (wolves Fulham) 

Only 2 teams conceded less (wolves Cardiff) 

When you have one of the best defenses in the league you only need to score once to win most the time, the fact you've tried use that against us is just daft. 

Does that mean get promotion after all?

• Like 1

Â